Audi TT Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
If fitting the whole quarter panel that would be a pretty big job, I would think, certainly far more than the value of the car. Just replacing the arch wouldn't be so bad, but I still don't fancy doing it*, and I even less fancy paying someone else to do it. And, of course, I don't know how easy it is to get a new panel, and the breakers may be just as bad.

* For context, this is the back end of my current project. Replacing panels doesn't worry me too much, but there's still something putting me off doing it to the TT - not least that the project below has been ongoing for many months and it doesn't matter if it takes a lot more months to get it done.

View attachment 480672
Mate that’s awesome! Good on you I wish I could do stuff like that .. I agree might be super expensive to do that .. what would u do then just have a go myself see what I can do with touch ups ?

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
The main thing is to get rid of the rust as best you can, long before the painting stage. If the rust started on the outside because of stonechips (perhaps on the edge of the arch, and spread inwards from there) then scrape it back, get it as clean as you can, apply rust killer as per the instructions, then fill and paint. But the last two stages won't make much difference if you don't get the first bit right.

I should add, when I did mine, I probably got a couple of years out of it before the rust stared showing again. So you have to think of it in relation to how long you intend to keep the car. But it's fair to say that unless you do something, it's not going to stop where it is - rust only spreads.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The main thing is to get rid of the rust as best you can, long before the painting stage. If the rust started on the outside because of stonechips (perhaps on the edge of the arch, and spread inwards from there) then scrape it back, get it as clean as you can, apply rust killer as per the instructions, then fill and paint. But the last two stages won't make much difference if you don't get the first bit right.

I should add, when I did mine, I probably got a couple of years out of it before the rust stared showing again. So you have to think of it in relation to how long you intend to keep the car. But it's fair to say that unless you do something, it's not going to stop where it is - rust only spreads.
Yeah the is true mate .. I want to keep the car long term if I can do .. I’ve took it down with a dermal sander to shiny metal now .. u can see tiny micro holes where rust has been . Hope it doesn’t continue to eat away but can’t go any further really .. then I’ll treat it with a rust proventer .. filler would u use fibre glass ( p40 )or p38 ? Not sure which would be stronger over time or are both the same ?

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Use filler and when prepped for painting give it a couple of coats of cold galvanising spray before the primer

I scuffed my rear wheel arch quite badly 3 year back, down to the steel, repaired it and no signs of corrosion yet

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Use filler and when prepped for painting give it a couple of coats of cold galvanising spray before the primer

I scuffed my rear wheel arch quite badly 3 year back, down to the steel, repaired it and no signs of corrosion yet
No way that’s a new one on me mate what’ and where do I get cold galvanising spray from ? Thanks mate

·
Registered
2000 8N3 AJQ quattro
151 Posts
My TT hasn't liked icy barriers... underbody coating on sills has detached from metal, so now I have body color "thing" drooping from sill just behind front tires...

Need to get pictures of it for you guys, but also need to buy some new coating, clean everything up, use rust converter, galvanizing spray and so on...

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Yes i did it, you can see the filler in the prepped pic. I did manage to pull some of the dent out so minimal filler used.
It doesn't look that good in the flesh, silver is hard to match and blend in but it's reasonably good and i plan on painting the full panel in summer.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yes i did it, you can see the filler in the prepped pic. I did manage to pull some of the dent out so minimal filler used.
It doesn't look that good in the flesh, silver is hard to match and blend in but it's reasonably good and i plan on painting the full panel in summer.
Looks spot on to me mate and saved body shop prices anyway 👍🏻

21 - 32 of 32 Posts