Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new member here.

I have the opportunity to take delivery of a new Black Edition Coupe 40 TFSI which I'm really quite taken with, but concerned about the ride quality with the S Line suspension and 20s combination.

Could someone who has this combo on their daily driver comment on the ride quality?

I know it'll be really firm, but I'm more concerned with it being crashing and harsh, lacking in any refinement.

Appreciate any experiences.

Sadly, due to circumstances, I'm unable to test drive of experience on at the moment so will have to take a punt.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Hi all, new member here.

I have the opportunity to take delivery of a new Black Edition Coupe 40 TFSI which I'm really quite taken with, but concerned about the ride quality with the S Line suspension and 20s combination.

Could someone who has this combo on their daily driver comment on the ride quality?

I know it'll be really firm, but I'm more concerned with it being crashing and harsh, lacking in any refinement.

Appreciate any experiences.

Sadly, due to circumstances, I'm unable to test drive of experience on at the moment so will have to take a punt.

I have s line suspension and 19 inch wheels. Even with the 19s the ride is harsh on country lanes, particularly with the number of potholes. I would only go for the 20s if I lived in Europe and spent time on autoroutes.

you Must try before you buy

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
In my opinion 19" are no worries at all. I had them on my Mk2 TTS.

On my Mk3 TTS then RS, I had/have 20" and absolutelty nothing bad to say about them. Just watch out for all the potholes everywhere now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In my opinion 19" are no worries at all. I had them on my Mk2 TTS.

On my Mk3 TTS then RS, I had/have 20" and absolutelty nothing bad to say about them. Just watch out for all the potholes everywhere now.
Thanks, on the 20s, is that static suspension or the adjustable version?

For context, my current car is a Mk7.5 Golf GTI on 18's which whilst on the firm side, is absolutely fine, beautifully refined and with zero harshness or crashing.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My other option is the Sport Edition with 19's - would that be significantly better?

I do like the S line interior though!
I’ve just got my sport edition on the 19’s and whilst ride quality is firm is decent in most conditions so far. I’ve swapped from a mk7 golf Gtd on 18s which was definitely smoother although not as good handling so the compromise is worth it.

As you say it doesn’t have the seats of the S line though but the seats are comfortable and interior quality excellent. personally I prefer the exterior of the sport edition as I’m not keen on the added plastic bits of the S line. I specced mine up a bit too with the sound/comfort & tech pack.

if you can wait I’d highly recommend Drivethedeal, big savings on dealer

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had my Black Edition for a month now.
I was concerned about the 20" wheels but you get used to the ride pretty quickly and learn to pick the least potholed lines in the road!

I'm being extra careful when parking but use the car as a daily driver - no real issues tbh.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've had my Black Edition for a month now.
I was concerned about the 20" wheels but you get used to the ride pretty quickly and learn to pick the least potholed lines in the road!

I'm being extra careful when parking but use the car as a daily driver - no real issues tbh.
Perfect, thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi buddy, I pretty much agree with Plasmadaddy1’s post above. I bought my 45 Black Edition last October as I specifically wanted the fixed wing and those lovely arch filling multi spoke alloys. I absolutely love it. I drive about 17k miles per year as I’m a mobile Podiatrist so drive round all the little towns and villages around South Yorkshire. Totally agree with others though that it’s a firm ride and that you definitely have to avoid bumps and potholes and there’s plenty to choose from round here…. Anyway, I’d say go for it 👍🏻

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all.

Whilst I've got you all, one thing i'm torn over is the 40 2wd vs 45 quattro debate.

My dilemma is; who wouldn't want 5.1 seconds 0-60, right, and the ability to floor it out of a junction without the wheel spin and inevitable MQB dog-bone judder - I get it and need no convincing.... however.... there's the cost and the 5 mpg difference for the rest of forever to factor, plus the assessment of is it really necessary.

Allow me to explain my thoughts...

My 230 PS Golf GTI was FWD and had a 0-60 of 6.5 secs and felt quick enough to bother with, both in terms of low end pull and top end urgency - more would be great ( the unquenchable thirst) but it was enough to satisfy. The 197 PS TT is lighter and therefore has similar power to weight ratio and hence almost identical 0-60 of 6.6 secs, therefore would it give the same feel of performance? If so, then I'm happy and need not go any further.

At no point in the GTI ownership did I regret not going for the Golf R with 4Motion, GTI performance pack (245PS) or Clubsport with similar performance to the TT 45TFSI.

Then there's driving style, other than the odd squeezer of the throttle for fun, I drive pretty steadily and certainly don't push it round bends or anything, hence the GTI was all I needed. I probably only ever reved it to the red line a dozen times in my 3 years, preferring to use the torque to make swift progress, which when you compare the 40 vs the 45 TT, the torque is very similar, which in the slightly lighter 2WD 40, would suggest between 1,500 and 3,000 rpm where I drive 95% of the time would feel pretty similar with only 20Nm difference.

I guess I'm asking, for a non performance orientated driver who was happy with a Golf GTI FWD who drives pretty gently most of the time, will the 40 TFSI do the job just nicely like my GTI?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Personally, and due to me needing my car everyday for work, I decided on the Quattro. My last 2 cars had it (A3 tdi Quattro and TT diesel Quattro) and the extra grip in all weathers is a huge pull for me. The unquenchable thirst for more power is always there hence I’m saving for a little stage 1 tune for some cheeky back round blasts between customers.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Regarding performance most of us have that urge to want more, we're buying a sports coupe after all. In reality you're rarely using it to it's capabilities, regardless of if you have the 40tfsi fwd or the 4wd RS, so it's a heart Vs head decision really.

I'm impressed by the 40tfsi fwd after a week of ownership, so taking it reasonably steady. It's more planted and quicker than my previous MK7 golf GTD which was running at 220bhp and I enjoyed that for 6yrs so this is going to be a very enjoyable ownership for years to come.

As I said head Vs heart, you're decision to make, have fun 🙂

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks all.

Whilst I've got you all, one thing i'm torn over is the 40 2wd vs 45 quattro debate.

My dilemma is; who wouldn't want 5.1 seconds 0-60, right, and the ability to floor it out of a junction without the wheel spin and inevitable MQB dog-bone judder - I get it and need no convincing.... however.... there's the cost and the 5 mpg difference for the rest of forever to factor, plus the assessment of is it really necessary.

Allow me to explain my thoughts...

My 230 PS Golf GTI was FWD and had a 0-60 of 6.5 secs and felt quick enough to bother with, both in terms of low end pull and top end urgency - more would be great ( the unquenchable thirst) but it was enough to satisfy. The 197 PS TT is lighter and therefore has similar power to weight ratio and hence almost identical 0-60 of 6.6 secs, therefore would it give the same feel of performance? If so, then I'm happy and need not go any further.

At no point in the GTI ownership did I regret not going for the Golf R with 4Motion, GTI performance pack (245PS) or Clubsport with similar performance to the TT 45TFSI.

Then there's driving style, other than the odd squeezer of the throttle for fun, I drive pretty steadily and certainly don't push it round bends or anything, hence the GTI was all I needed. I probably only ever reved it to the red line a dozen times in my 3 years, preferring to use the torque to make swift progress, which when you compare the 40 vs the 45 TT, the torque is very similar, which in the slightly lighter 2WD 40, would suggest between 1,500 and 3,000 rpm where I drive 95% of the time would feel pretty similar with only 20Nm difference.

I guess I'm asking, for a non performance orientated driver who was happy with a Golf GTI FWD who drives pretty gently most of the time, will the 40 TFSI do the job just nicely like my GTI?
Get the 45 Quattro.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts