Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm going to look at several mk2's this weekend as sold my mk1 last week but a couple have the s tonic gearbox and having only ever owned manuals in the past I wanted to know TTO's opinions on the automatic before I make a decision!

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've had my TT S-Tronic almost a year now and it's the first auto box I've ever had. It's great and I love being able to 'waft' around in it.

However, having just come back from holiday and having a hire car (Fiat Punto!), I really enjoyed being involved in the car and actually changing gears manually. Even though I was sat on the left, with the stick in the wrong place, in a dodgy Italian car on shit roads....

I'd definately have a TT again, but it would be a manual.

If you plump for the S-Tronic MAKE SURE you have either a manufacturer warranty or a solid aftermarket warranty to cover any possible issue with the S-Tronic gearbox failing - there's loads of posts on this forum about it, happens to about 5% of the cars. It happened to the previous owner of mine and looking at the invoices I've got cost LOTS of money to fix.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
They're fabulous when they work properly, but a reasonable proportion develop faults where the car lurches, suffers lag on take-off, won't reverse up slopes or is unwilling to change gear. These faults will generally only become apparent when the gearbox is thoughly warmed through so you need a significant test drive. I would suggest a minimum of 15-20 minutes on a high-speed road (a couple of junctions on the motorway) followed by an absolute minimum of 10-15 minutes in traffic. That's a VERY long test drive by normal standards (ideally at least an hour if you can) but that's what you need to see any faults show themselves.

And make sure you get the best warranty you can afford. If these go wrong, it's 4 figures straight away and they can go wrong.

Personally, I just wouldn't buy a used s-tronic, but that's me after two bad experiences. Your mileage may vary as they say!

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Andy Mundo said:
I've had my TT S-Tronic almost a year now and it's the first auto box I've ever had. It's great and I love being able to 'waft' around in it.

However, having just come back from holiday and having a hire car (Fiat Punto!), I really enjoyed being involved in the car and actually changing gears manually. Even though I was sat on the left, with the stick in the wrong place, in a dodgy Italian car on shit roads....

I'd definately have a TT again, but it would be a manual.

If you plump for the S-Tronic MAKE SURE you have either a manufacturer warranty or a solid aftermarket warranty to cover any possible issue with the S-Tronic gearbox failing - there's loads of posts on this forum about it, happens to about 5% of the cars. It happened to the previous owner of mine and looking at the invoices I've got cost LOTS of money to fix.

Good luck!
Interesting! I only had a short test drive of a car with the s-tronic gearbox and I didn't take to it at all, for the same reasons as you mention really - not feeling 'involved' enough with the car. I'm glad I got a manual but from what I've seen on here the vast majority of owners of cars with s-tronic boxes would never go back.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I find the Stronic in the TT RS very good indeed.
I'm changing gear far more often than I would do in the manual,plus you have the awsome noise when changing up and down.
I think I'm converted,even when I jump in my Megane R26, I wish it had a really good double clutch box.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, this gives me some food for thought on the s-tronic and will definately do the long test drive. I will let you know how I get on!

Are there any TT Mk2's for sale on here as I cant view the marketplace yet?

Cheers

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
If God had meant cars to have flappy paddle gearboxs that go crunch , lurch, creep, bang, then he would have not given you a left leg, other than to walk home with when the thing breaks down :)

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
sneath1 said:
Thanks guys, this gives me some food for thought on the s-tronic and will definately do the long test drive. I will let you know how I get on!

Are there any TT Mk2's for sale on here as I cant view the marketplace yet?

Cheers
Joining the TTOC should sort that for you!! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Having driven a couple of DSG / S tronics I personally would not buy one with MY money, they cost more to buy and can do a worse job at changing gear, the good one I drove was very good, the bad one was awful!, a bad one will also leave a very bad taste in your mouth and a huge dent in your wallet if you are silly enough to own one out of warranty.

35mphspeedlimit said:
Joining the TTOC should sort that for you!! :lol: :lol:
So will increasing your post count to around 50 posts.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I have an S-Tronic which failed and needed replacing.

From experience i would not buy an S-Tronic 2nd hand anymore (unless the car was new or less than a yr old).

·
Registered
420 Posts
Had mine since May from 18000 miles. So far it's had the mechatronics replaced and is currently back at Audi having the clutch pack replaced. They tell me the clutch pack isn't actually covered by Audi's extended warranty but have agreed to fund the replacement 100% without me even pushing the issue.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
I love driving my S tronic RS, however I don't intend on keeping the car past it's warranty period and personally wouldn't have an S-tronic without a comprehensive warranty!

My last TTS was s-tronic and that had problems, nothing like that with the RS - yet - but I do get some pretty jarring thumps on upchanges sometimes, certainly more than when first new so I think the clock is ticking... :lol:

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've just bought a 2007 3.2 V6 S-Tronic, privately. Stop making me worried something will go wrong! I refuse to buy a warranty too. :roll:

·
Registered
294 Posts
My Mechatronics / S-Tronic gearbox failed at 42k miles, and I only drive the thing on the motorway! Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome system and I love it, but that was less than two years for me. Luckily the first gearbox was on Audi eh?

·
Registered
106 Posts
this thread is like a fright fest for any stronic owners. i too only just bought an 20k 07 stronic and im kinda hoping now that if its gonna fail it does it soon while its still under warranty!

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
nomis said:
this thread is like a fright fest for any stronic owners. i too only just bought an 20k 07 stronic and im kinda hoping now that if its gonna fail it does it soon while its still under warranty!
It's almost a trap really. If you have s-tronic, you have to have a warranty of some description. VAG (VW Audi Group) won't sort this out as long as people keep buying them. By giving a 10-year limited warranty in the US, VAG have effectively admitted they know there is a problem. The difference between the US and here of course, is the American consumer won't put up with the carp we do.

I reckon a significant number of s-tronic drivers have been told (and have accepted) that "that's how they are, they're all like that". It comes on very gradually in many cases and unless you have a really long test drive you may never notice it. Indeed, if your daily commute is 10 minutes to the train station where the car never warms through, you still might never notice it.

And most owners are terrified to admit there could be an issue because it might effect the resale value of their own car. I can certainly understand that.

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
KingMarty said:
I've just bought a 2007 3.2 V6 S-Tronic, privately. Stop making me worried something will go wrong! I refuse to buy a warranty too. :roll:
Please buy a warranty. Even if it's only a simple one that just covers the engine and gearbox. The rest of the bits on these cars are pretty bullet-proof (maybe not the window regulators), but I'm sure you can buy a very basic warranty from the AA that's relatively cheap and just covers specific bits.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
The only thing about this issue that still amazes me, is that these boxes are still falling 9 years after their introduction. Having had the misfortune to buy a MK5 GTI with a DSG in 2006 and learn quickly that an excellent car was otherwise ruined by a suspect gearbox design, and many others found the same (often to considerable personal cost), VAG have still not solved the issues in the 6 speed box, I can only think they dressed it up as a S Tronic to distance it from the issues of the DSG, well that appears to have failed.

The reports of manual gearboxes failing are as rare as rocking horse doodah, and thats after hamfisted human beings have been placed in control of the gear change procedure.

If anyone does their homework and then still goes out and buys an S Tronic, I take my hat off to them, brave people.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts