Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Audi TTS Mk2 Coupe
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

so I inadvertently pushed the stronic button in whilst removing the knob, spent ages trying to get the button out, I’ve seen a post on here but not really any pictures so thinking about replacing it altogether, does anyone know if the mk3 stronic knob fits the mk2 ?

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Quattro Roadster
12,979 Posts
Your options are -

a.) Per the workshop manual, put an air hose inside and blow it out.
b.) Stick some tape on it and pull it out.

Once out, use a cable tie around the button to keep it in place so it can't go back in again.

Font Sleeve Mobile phone Gadget Electric blue

·
Super Moderator
12,979 Posts
Ah, sorry...through you had the side-button type. Then yes, you'll need to either buy the VAG tool or make one as shown in the pictures below and described in detail in this post -

Product Microphone Office supplies Font Material property

·
Super Moderator
12,979 Posts
For a manual transmission, yes it can be rettrofitted. See link below.

For S-tronic, no idea. You might try a search for it using the Forum search function.

Car Gear shift Vehicle Automotive design Steering part

·
Registered
Audi TTS Mk2 Coupe
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I managed to pull the rod out with an improvised metal coat hanger with a hook on the end but how do I attach the knob back to the plastic rod in the car as the rod needs to go through the hold inside the plastic rod ?

Wish I had never pressed the button in 🤣

Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Car Gear shift White Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
510 Posts
First, make sure the button can't go back in - grip it firmly, then you simply push the knob back onto the rod, as seen here:

It's not a TT in the video but it's the same procedure.

You'll feel a bit of resistance as you push the internal lever mechanism in the knob past the hole in the rod, take a look at this picture which shows the internals:

·
Registered
Audi TTS Mk2 Coupe
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tried that Andy, felt resistance initially when knob went on but when pushing it down didn’t click in, how does the metal part of the knob slide into the hold in the plastic rod ? seems that when the button is out the metal part is out

·
Registered
510 Posts
Tried that Andy, felt resistance initially when knob went on but when pushing it down didn’t click in, how does the metal part of the knob slide into the hold in the plastic rod ? seems that when the button is out the metal part is out
You have to make sure the little lever in the knob is in the correct position, it's hard to explain but if you look at the first two images in this section (from the thread I linked to) it should guide you, basically the little metal lever sits in a clip (built into the plastic knob section) while fitting or removing.

This image also shows how to click the lever into place.

Automotive tire Rim Camera accessory Automotive wheel system Bicycle part

Short version: insert the hook you made from a coat hanger through the bottom of the knob then pull the lever until you feel a click.
That should put everything in the correct place for refitting

·
Registered
Audi TTS Mk2 Coupe
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The rod and button definately click in when I used the coat hanger and the button remained out, when you slide the knob on should the latch click into the rod or do you have to press the button in when it’s pressed down over the rod ?, I’ll try again
Thanks for your help 👍

·
Super Moderator
12,979 Posts
From Andy's original post, here's a couple of detailed pictures showing of the internal "clip" that holds the button lever in place prior to installing the shifter back on the rod...

Camera accessory Camera lens Rim Cameras & optics Automotive tire

Automotive tire Tire Bumper Motor vehicle Rim

·
Registered
510 Posts
...when you slide the knob on should the latch click into the rod or do you have to press the button in when it’s pressed down over the rod ?, I’ll try again
Thanks for your help 👍
Once you're sure you pushed the knob down as far as it will go, you can press the trigger/button which should then put the internal lever into the hole/eye of the rod.

The internal lever has several positions it can be in:

1. Once it's all reassembled, the lever is then up or down depending on whether the button is pressed or not.

2. Clicked into the little catch as show above (and in sketch below) - this is just for removal/reattachment (as far as I know)

Joint Head Shoulder Arm Leg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts