Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I picked up my new TT, and it had a full tank of fuel in it, 3 days later it had gone! :p

So I went to the petrol station, and I put in regular unleaded, and as soon as I set off, it just didn't feel as nippy or responsive. I wonder whether the dealer put in Optimax (closest petrol garage was shell).

Can you feel the 'edge' with Optimax?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
DannyW said:
Well, I picked up my new TT, and it had a full tank of fuel in it, 3 days later it had gone! :p

So I went to the petrol station, and I put in regular unleaded, and as soon as I set off, it just didn't feel as nippy or responsive. I wonder whether the dealer put in Optimax (closest petrol garage was shell).

Thanks
Can't imagine for a moment the dealer would have put Optimax in and you wouldn't notice any difference in performance immediately anyway; it takes a while for the ECU to adapt.

Same old question and there will be the same old answers - everyone's got an opinion but no-one really knows.

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
96,565 Posts
Hi Danny, Shell Optimax doesn't exist anymore it's called V Power, it will make a difference using standard unleaded 95 as Ign will be retarded to prevent knocking (pinking), so performance will be reduced.
Going from 95 to 98 will take longer to feel effect before Ign is advanced to get full performance back again.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
ZZzzzzzzzzzzz...... [smiley=bomb.gif]

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I use 99ron Tesco woop woop :p :p :p

Defo can tell the difference. But then can tell more a difference using the air-con in this hot weather :oops:

:x

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
The simple answer is - can you feel the difference between 180-190PS and 211PS? That's the rough difference in power between the two fuels. The manual (and much of the advertising bumph) clearly states that the rated power is only available on the higher octane fuel. If you run it on the lower octane stuff, you get less power and torque. The engine will adapt to live on it, but it will give it's best with the highest octane fuel.

As has already been stated, the engine management unit takes at least a tankful of fuel to fully adapt to the change, so if you want to feel the difference immediately, you'll need to find someone with VCDS or an Audi dealer with a VAS machine to reset your ECU for you.

·
Registered
31,059 Posts
edwardmcardle said:
Perhaps the weight difference in going from an empty to full tank??
for the lower powered models i dont see the point, its not going to make any performance difference, for the RS i can see why you would. You'd be better off only putting in half a tank of fuel and keeping the weight low if you are worried about performance with the 1.8/20 models

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
DannyW said:

Thanks
Don't forget you've gone from an empty tank of fuel to a full tank so it's hardly surprising you'd feel a performance difference irrespective of what grade of fuel you put in the tank.

I would use Optimax if I didn't have to go miles out of my way to get it, so I make do with BP Ultimate.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers guys. I only put £40 in, so didn't fill the tank. Its nearly gone now anyway - time for V Power!

Reading through the responses, it seems to suggest that the car can live on 95RON but performs at its optimum on V power?

That suits me :D

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Lower temperatures give a turbo-ed engine a bit of an edge too. Last couple of days my TT felt a bit lazy @ 30 degrees C. Yes the AC was off.... and still using BP Ultimate, RON98.

Don't forget you get used to the power too, enjoy!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Must be nice, your 30C. Try 40C on for a while. In a black car with black interior, and no shade to park under at the office.

Shell V for me as well. Same station every time, and usually the exact same pump at that station. I do this to keep my MPG records. I keep all receipts so that Audi can't claim that coking of the valves was caused by poor fuel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.