Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 3.2 VR6 Roadster
11,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I stood in line for the opening of StarWars, Episode IV - A New Hope back in 1977. Yeah, I'm THAT old. Then came Darth Maul and his dual-wield light saber fight which was one of THE best fight scenes and more than made up for having to listen to Jarjar Binks. Then again little "Annie" should have been fed to a Sarlacc or sold to the Jawas IMHO. Hated that kid. But I digress...

The following sequels were not too bad either, and I quite liked Rogue One as it set the stage for Episode IV. Then came the latest sequels; VII, VIII and IX and OMG they were just horrible. StarWars was finished as far as I was concerned.

Then The Mandalorian showed up. I thought, meh, this will probably suck too. But as I had enjoyed Pedro Pascal in the series Narcos, I figured it might be okay. Boy was I right! This two season series restored my faith in the StarWars franchise. I'll admit it's a bit campy, but hey, I grew up with the Wild Wild West, Gilligan's Island and the original Star Trek so campy works for me.

If you haven't see it, The Mandalorian is really fun and since it's just two seasons you can binge-watch it over a weekend. A bit of a space western without incredible depth of character, but the cinematography and CGI is pretty cool. Even my wife, who hates SciFi, enjoyed watching it just to see baby Yoda.

The Mandalorian.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
It was excellent for me too, although - it reminded me a bit of the A-Team :D - also Mando does remind me of ADHD he sort of narrates what he is doing, a bit like me talking to the dogs when I walk them.

So glad it has Bill Burr and Starbuck in too.

It also gave the message that being part of an ancient cult, or picking homeless kids off the street and making them part of an armed violent gang, being told to kill people is not always bad....

I also like a bit of Cobra-Kai

·
Premium Member
2007 3.2 VR6 Roadster
11,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Another SciFi show that's a bit old now (2015) but still well done is The Expanse. I wasn't aware of this show but it got a good review from a film critic called The Critical Drinker* who's quite entertaining.

The series is written by adults for adults, and has pretty solid science behind the technology. Good cast mix, interesting story lines and some decent drama and side stories.

Made for some great binge watching over the past few weekends. Highly recommended.

* Here's the link to his YouTube and his review of The Expanse -

TheExpanse-01.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
I do follow the "Expanse" every Wednesday here at the moment - but.... this last season is absolutely F..All to do with the proto-molocule it is more about terrorism, throwing stones and cool effects and surviving in the vacuum of space.

I think one of my favourite previous episodes was the "you tuber" sling-shotting planets until his eyes started bleeding then hitting the ring when everything stopped (virtually)

what about [email protected]? every episode has got better and now "Sword" is a thing!

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Enjoying WandaVision too. First episode was a bit strange, reminded me of the old TV show Bewitched.
Definitely improving with each episide though.

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
I've watched The Americans and loved it, and now am essentially 'learning German on the job' watching deuchland 83 (86 and 89 to follow) the episodes are pretty familiar to the Americans. Its funnier than you'd imagine but Binge watching is hard work unless you speak German.

·
Premium Member
2007 3.2 VR6 Roadster
11,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited by Moderator)
The new show Resident Alien is pretty good. Just watched the first three episodes and I'm hooked. Nice combination of sci-fi, murder mystery and small town drama.

"A crash-landed alien named Harry takes on the identity of a small-town Colorado doctor and slowly begins to wrestle with the moral dilemma of his secret mission on Earth."

ResidentAlien.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
An older show, but one of my favourites is "Firefly".
Unlike any other scifi show, that's for sure!

Quirky, original, well written and often funny... well worth a look.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
andy mac said:

It's a shame it only got one season. The film serenity is very good also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
andy mac said:

I did work through Lexx and Andromeda ... I still get a bit tearful when a series gets to the end. Battlestar Galactica gets me tearful, in the first scene - as I know in 65 hours it'll be finished.

One of the last scenes of Andromeda... :D

You can tell why these are a comicon favourite ;)

Screenshot_20210311-012000_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Not a tv show but...
Just finished watching the 4 hour Zack Snyder cut of Justice League. 100% better than original release.
Well worth a look.

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
They were just talking this 4hr 2min movie on the radio... is it the same film but a different edit? Or a new movie?

Did Joss Wheddon have to pick up the #ShowerOfDCShite and make something, whilst Zac was sulking in the toilet?

DC really sucks for purists who are really comparing only Marvel, but I liked the original Margo Robbie film and the slap-stick Margo Robbie Birds of Prey movie too.

I liked all the Star Wars movies, all the Hobbits, etc... as I like action movies and don't care so much about storylines or comic, film, continuity or authenticity. I mean if I think 'it is crap' so be it, but I won't refuse to watch any others, or cry into my flask of weak lemon.

It's strange, because the only movies I sort-of complain about are either films for TV (eg worth 10p to watch) or films I have read the book(s) for so the Dan Brown Books and dragon tattoo films..

*sort-of complain - there's a big following of cheap tosh films.... :D

I tell you what seems to have been excluded here and that's 'snowpiercer' not the Prime film, the Netflix Series.. (although, I think the main women must be doing something else, as not been in many episodes with Sean Bean)

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Same film but it's the Zack Snyder directors cut, not a huge DC film fan myself but this version is a vast improvement on original release. I thought original release was pretty average. This is a totally different animal. Extra characters that were cut from cinema release. Definitely worth a watch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts