Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Washed the car at the weekend and noticed the full length of the passenger door has some long scratches on it.

These seem to have been caused by something at the side of the garage (hose pipe i think) rubbing against the car as i've driven it in and out :x

I've tried autoglym, which has made them less obvious, but you can still see them close up and once the wax wears off they'll become more visible again.

So, 2 questions:

Is this something i can sort myself using something readily available (happy to give it a go, but concerned about making it look worse than it already is); or

Should i get this done professionally and how much do you think it will cost (i reckon they'll polish out as they don't seem that deep)

Thx

G

·
All depends on the depth of the scratch.
T-cut, maguiars scratch-x etc will get rid of minor scratches.

Very very fine wet and dry may seem extreme, but it works.

If your not sure, get a man in, it'll save you making it worse.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm normally quite good with things but I wouldnt have a go at paintwork, so much damage waiting to happen.
I'd contact a detailer to sort it out

·
Registered
510 Posts
Get a pro in for peace of mind. If you have a bash yourself and feck up it could cost a lot more to put right. Easy enough to get some quotes, no obligation to go ahead if it's too steep.

Whichever way you turn hope it's resolved soonest.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
something small like a stonechip can be disguised with a matchstick and paint etc, but something more substantial - I wouldn't even try

good luck

·
Registered
895 Posts
As a general guide if you can 'feel' the scratch with your fingernail (ie your nail can drop into the scratch) it's too deep to polish out.

However, if you can't feel the scratch then an abrasive polish, such as Meguiar's Scratch-X, should make a considerable improvement to the appearance and may even totally remove the scratch with some elbow grease. If you go down this route keep checking your work/progress.

HTH,

Alan W

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.