Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out sunday on my own in the car, pulled off motorway to a roundabout, At the top of the junction were 4 police cars pulling ppl over, I didnt have seatbelt on i rarely do. and he pointed me to stop and pull over which i did.

Got out he goes you know why i stopped you ?
No i said ? routine stop ?
No m8 you wasnt wearing your seatbelt, but dont worry you wont get any points for it,
ahh result i thought, Then he hits me with the "Its a £60 fine instead"

ffs i was going mental, it was only me in the car no kids no dogs - cats or goldfish just me, im my own responsibility ffs.

I said to him ffs m8 it dont bother you if i fly out the window and kill meself does it, you aint gonna lose sleep over it are you ???
To which he replied no m8 i wont but im the one whos got to pick you up off the floor afterwards...

"which must mean he dont mind picking me up as long as i pay £60 for the pleasure of his company"

I was still going mad explaining to him that its all a business nowdays, 4 fking police cars on a sunday morning im sure cud be out doing somethihng alot more useful rather than giving me and many others a £60 fine.

Theres more traffic wardens - smart camera cars - and cameras all over the place now than theres ever been before. all making them more money than they have ever had before. Its a business plain and simple. You couldnt give a fk m8 if you had to pick me up off the floor or not.Long as they get their dosh thats all that matters

This really fks me off how everywhere you go nowdays it costs you money in 1 way or another, Every fker is out to get your money and they dont care how they get it either

Any1 seen the film Falling Down with micheal douglas where he goes on the rampage coz his fked off with it all. hmm im close to it somedays i tell ya LMFAO

I think if your in the car on your own you should be allowed if you choose to not wear your seatbelt. If you have kids in the car they are your responsibility and you should make them wear the seatbelt 100 % for their safety

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
It's not just about you.

On average an accident where somebody is wearing a seatbelt costs the British tax payer about £15,000 in terms of medical costs and the time of the emergency services. An identical accident but where the driver is not wearing a seatbelt on average costs the taxpayer around ten times as much - £150,000. That's down to the additional medical costs for more serious injuries or the costs of a police investigation and coroner's report for fatalities.

Wearing seatbelts isn't just about you - it's an obligation to all of us who pay our taxes.

Perhaps you need to stop thinking about these things just in terms of yourself and take a look at the bigger picture.

And I really doubt your response was ever likely to convince the officer to waive the ticket, do you?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know its not just about me.. The topic didnt say This is all about me at all.

Fact is theres cars out there that dont even have any seatbelts fitted to them that you can drive legally within the law and never get a ticket or fine. My father has a mini moke, no seatbelts fitted and not a thing they can do about it.
But just because mine has them and their not on im fined £60 ??? lol

And if they really wanted you to wear them so much you wouldnt even be able to pull off in the car unless they were plugged in as a safety measure instead of just bleeping whilst letting you still drive the car.. hmmm

Ps.. Work for the police do we ? sounds like it touched a nerve

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
It's not touched a nerve at all - just explaining to you where your line of argument is wrong and why the law is enforced as it is. Perhaps if you understood that better you wouldn't feel so sore about it and wouldn't have quite the same attitude.

There is a reason why cars have seatbelts and why they have to be worn. There is also a reason why the law isn't enforced retrospectively and applied to cars that were never fitted with seatbelts in the first place - it's a basic, general principle in equity that applies to all areas of statute.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Sorry, I don't understand why you got so over heated over this, you admit that you chance it all the time, inevitably you were bound to get caught at some stage, this was it you broke the law full stop!
Mark is dead right, why should they turn a blind eye to you just because you were on your own?

I spent an hour on the hard shoulder of the M4 last year trying to keep someone alive who had crashed at 140 MPH, but the scene was still not nice, I am sure both him and his family are glad he was wearing a setbelt!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think your missing the point here..

I didnt say at any point that he should of let me off at all or turn a blind eye at all ??
Nor did i say i wasnt breaking any law.

The point to all this is that turning a corner to find 4 hidden police cars pulling ppl over
or
turning a corner to find a hidden van with a camera in it checking your speed
or
having a moped patrolling car parks or other spaces to make sure you paid for a ticket
or
having a sign to say you cant park here. But displaying that sign 30 ft up in the air on a wall so you miss it
or
Having a smart car with camera drive around all day just to catch ppl out

I got caught on a camera once by the guy operating it when i was delivering furniture in a luton van
there was absolutely no where to park other than outside the guys house on a main road.
I parked 2 wheels on the pavement to allow cars to get passed me and yep. you guessed it. The fine was for
parking with 2 wheels on the pavement.
When you explain the situation as to why you did it (ie its more dangerous to block the road up" so i briefly parked how i did due to the lack of parking whilst delivering his sofa. They dont want to know its either yes well your still wrong so pay us within 14 days or it goes up to more money.

My point to all this is its a business nowdays and the revenue they get is huge, And whilst you think their worried about our safety in all this, They wouldnt want to lose that revenue it employs to many ppl nowdays.

Theres alot of this kinda suff about that im sure you've seen and i dont think im alone in getting anoyed at times over it.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
The law is clear on seat belts. There is no grey area and no scope for argument. If you don't wear a seatbelt, you can expect a fine if you're caught. Take the points, learn your lesson and get over it.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Totally agree with you on the hidden camera business, one of my staff got done for diving in a bus lane on a camera in Camden when the bus lane was not in force, I contested that one but the lease company had already paid it.

But in this case from your description the police were not exactly hiding, and I imagine on the look out for anything, I would be angry at getting a fine but in this case angry with myself!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
40 drivers stopped - Berkshire East

Friday 16 October 2009, 10:26am

Thames Valley Police officers stopped 40 motorists as part of a road safety check in Berkshire East yesterday (15/10).

PC Bob Wade, Road Safety Constable from the Thames Valley Safer Roads Partnership, joined officers from the Roads Policing Department on the York Town Road in Sandhurst, and the Farnham Road in Slough. The duration of each check was approximately two hours.

The aim of the check was to look at drivers committing offences that have an adverse effect on road safety, such as not wearing a seatbelt, using a mobile phone and construction and use offences, such as excessive window tints.

Thirty three drivers were issued with Fixed Penalty Notices (FPNs) of £60 for seatbelt offences. This fine has recently been increased from £30. They were also issued with information relating to an online seatbelt course, that if completed at a cost of £25 pounds, would result in the FPN being cancelled.

Six drivers were caught using their mobile phone and issued a FPN of £60 and three penalty points on their license. They were offered the chance to attend a Call Divert education course at a cost of £79.50, in place of the fine and points.
Just to shows it is not always about earning money. £25 for a seatbelt course to cancel the £60 FPN seems a good deal to me. Although I guess if you are determined not to wear a seatbelt it won't help much?

Out of interest if you don't wear a seatbelt is your insurance still valid?

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
cw955 said:
Ah, Jimmy Savile and the "Clunk, Click every trip" campaign. Belated and public thanks chap for persuading me to wear a seat belt right from starting to drive a car and long before it became law. That saved me from injury or worse more than once.

Do people actually still choose not to wear a seat belt?

blackers said:
Out of interest if you don't wear a seatbelt is your insurance still valid?
Probably. But if you are injured in a RTC and then claim and win compensation, that compensation will be reduced as you will be judged to have failed to take reasonable care of yourself.

That's not the 'right' words but you get my drift.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I knew a bloke once that had a jumper for driving in, it had a black strip sewn into it to look like a seatbelt. To this day I can't fathom why he preferred to wear the jumper over the seatbelt.

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
I highly doubt there were a bunch of coppers out to fine people for not wearing seatbelts. I imagine they were pulling people for other illegal activities. Just because yours seems mundane doesn't mean you shouldn't get fined.

I'm amazed that anybody does drive without a seatbelt. It's like wanting to get a place in the Darwin Awards!

What winds me up is people who disregard safety. No seatbelts, using mobile phones whilst driving. It's all signs of somebody who doesn't take the road seriously. I hope you buck up your ideas and start to respect the road and your vehicle for the deadly power it possess.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
So your problem is that the police and other enforcement authorities aren't sporting enough? So rather than use the simple and most effective methods of doing the job that we are entrusted with (ie the enforcement of democratic law) we should instead use other more inefficient and costly methods that make it easier for people to break the law and not get caught, to give you a sporting chance?

Yeah, that's a great argument.

It's just about as good as the tired old dirge that it's all about raising money. I've yet to hear anyone provide an explanation about why any individual police officer should go out to work in the morning intent on issuing tickets in order to help put a dent in the national deficit. It makes no difference how many times it's explained to people that when tickets are issued the police don't get a single penny from the fines, they still trot out this bollocks. There's absolutely no foundation for it.

You are issued a ticket for one reason only - as an attempt to modify your poor driving behaviour.

In my mind you complain about getting a ticket for one reason only - to try and put the blame for your own offending behaviour on someone else.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
pay the fine and think yourself lucky that your not being put 6ft under, not wearing a seat belt is signing your life away simple as that and to be honest i have no sympathy for people that do get seriously injured or killed in a road accident due to not wearing it, i have sympathy for the people i.e police, ambulance, fire that have to pick up your body parts and scrape your brains and guts off the ground, after all you dont have to live with those effects the people 'picking up the pieces' (no pun intended) do, maybe you would feel differently if you had to go and do the job the police have to do day in and day out.

Personally i feel that the money from fines should go to the police force, more money that gets put into their resources can only be a good thing, more police on the street = less opportunity for criminals in every aspect of their day to day life, drug use, burglary, mugging's, car jacking, shop lifting and all the rest.

·
Registered
19,838 Posts
It might hurt mate and yes, I agree the law is an ass sometimes. But I can't see any argument for not wearing a seat belt.

You wouldn't drive around at night without lights on now would you? 8)

Cheers

rich :p

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
denimblue225turbo said:
Personally i feel that the money from fines should go to the police force, more money that gets put into their resources can only be a good thing, more police on the street = less opportunity for criminals in every aspect of their day to day life, drug use, burglary, mugging's, car jacking, shop lifting and all the rest.
But of course that only raises the argument that tickets are issued for purely financial reasons. For pity's sake, even where it is made absolutely clear that we don't get any money from it this moaning that tickets are only issued to raise revenues still goes on and on and on! No, it's right that the issue of the tickets and the actual fines are kept completely separate in order to ensure that the enforcement is operated for its own sake only.

Of course, the fine money does all go into the central coffers, and while it is a rather insignificant sum in relation to the whole national budget, it does in that way make some contribution to the policing budget - just as it also supports education and the health service.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.