Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning All.

Looking to for a shift light. I do not want sequential, just a flash. I was thinking of the Omex one. Anybody used those ? or has any other suggestions. as its coil on plug presume I would just pick up off of one the the coil wires.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Morning All.

Looking to for a shift light. I do not want sequential, just a flash. I was thinking of the Omex one. Anybody used those ? or has any other suggestions. as its coil on plug presume I would just pick up off of one the the coil wires.
I'm an old skool fart so don't see the point in one. I learned to shift gears by ear forty years ago lol.
Can you explain why you want one and what advantage it has ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may be an old skool fart as you say, so I will explain. I am using the car for hillclimbs and sprints. I to have been shifting gears competitvly for many years. When you are looking for 10ths or even 100ths of a second. Everything you do is critical. I know no one that could change at precisely the exact revs every time.Why spend all the time and money setting the car up and mapping etc when you are going to chance it by ear or feel. I dont think so.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
You may be an old skool fart as you say, so I will explain. I am using the car for hillclimbs and sprints. I to have been shifting gears competitvly for many years. When you are looking for 10ths or even 100ths of a second. Everything you do is critical. I know no one that could change at precisely the exact revs every time.Why spend all the time and money setting the car up and mapping etc when you are going to chance it by ear or feel. I dont think so.
Wasn't knocking you, was just interested why. Surely if you change on the rev limiter that's better than a light ? But thanks for your explanation.
Don't think a TT would win anything at hill climbing ?

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
I think the ignitron can flash the engine light for shift change, I expect it could be done with a normal ECU too but a lot more work - I don't have my login details for neferiousmotorsports - I cannot see the TT doing well on a hill climb unless against other TTs - far too heavy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Beat me to it David C, as you say max revs and shift point are not the same thing. Regarding hillclimb and sprint and TT not being competitive. They are very competitive , specially with the quatro, the launch speeds are dazzling, they are a bit heavy , but more than made up for by grip and the power you can get out of them.They all ways do well in the class that they are in.

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
I have thought of having a go at hillclimb. Think my TT would go quite well on a short sprint hillclimb track. I don't know much about the Omex shift lights but I suspect they are very similar to the SPA one I have in my car. That is sequential which personally I think is better than just a single light. It warns you that you are approaching the change point and doesn't really cost a lot more.
An Omex single light is £80 a sequential one is £95.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Depending where you are in the country there are quite a few good ones around as well as sprints. Good club atmosphere, and generally people are very helpful.Let me know if you want a venue in your area.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts