Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just changed over my top mount bushes and bearings as I had a knocking (hopefully this will resolve it - ARB bushes have been done and drop links too about 6 months ago)
However when I was changing them over one of the struts (The one from the knocking side) fell down inside itself as soon as I removed the bush and locking nut - I presumed this was the norm until I done the other side which was a stiff as could be.

Question is what is normal for a strut.... Stiff or loose?

I won't know if the knocking has went until tomorrow as I have to solder some ignition wires that were frayed.

Cheers again :)

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
I would say, no, not right. strut should take some significant force (i.e., the amount exerted by the weight of the TT) to move in/out.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TTQ2K2 said:
I would say, no, not right. strut should take some significant force (i.e., the amount exerted by the weight of the TT) to move in/out.
Yeah the passenger side is certainly how you describe that.
The drivers side just falls ... Would this contribute to a knocking noise I wonder.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I changed both of mine even though they the old (12 years) ones felt tight, the only thing I would say compared to the new ones, were the old ones were a little sticky before they got moving, but just a little and only took slight hand force to get them going .. I still have the knocking, :?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stub said:
I changed both of mine even though they the old (12 years) ones felt tight, the only thing I would say compared to the new ones, were the old ones were a little sticky before they got moving, but just a little and only took slight hand force to get them going .. I still have the knocking, :?
Mmmm It is a bit of a mystery. One sides shock/Strut can easily be moved up/down and the other side is very stiff.

Wonder If I should buy OEM or buy aftermarket shocks/Strut

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
warrenstuart said:
jhoneyman said:
Wonder If I should buy OEM or buy aftermarket shocks/Strut
OEM is a must unless modding IMO :wink:
Yeah since the strut is probably gone its an opportunity to mod the shocks/springs - Need to research my options there.

I just checked a service in May 2012 (previous owner)
Garage replaced;
Front Suspension arm bushes (Presume these are part of the ARB)
Drop Links

I just done the Top mount bushes and bearings and still a knocking:

So the knocking points towards this potentially failed strut.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
The strut should most certainly not collapse in on itself, it is fecked and effectivelydoing nothing, the only thing working on that side of the car up is the spring......... The knocking you are hearing will be the piston inside the shock as all the fluid has leaked out and no bush changes are gonna fix that buddy.

new shock time for sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts