Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bloody thieves decided to smash the driver's side window last night. Didn't get away with much. I've booked the car in with autoglass to fit a new window. Should I be letting these guys fix it or should I be taking it to the stealer? I've read one horror story on these forums but that was for the previous model. Any experiences out there that someone would like to share?

Thanks

steve

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Dealer may well use Autoglass anyway. You would then have a third party looking after your interests, but the same people doing the job. At least Autoglass are doing it all the time - no real excuse for a bad job. As said, anyone can mess up.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Go to Autoglass. As talk-torque says, a dealer subcontracts it to Autoglass or the like anyway. Why give an Audi dealer chance to screw it up?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I found the mobile fitters a bit hit and miss in terms of quality so went to the actual depot, which was fine.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I had my Mk2 done by Autoglass, very helpful, very fast and did a good job. I guess it just depends on who you have but im sure a reputable company aren't going to let just anyone replace glass.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had a new windscreen last month. Autoglass were a complete nightmare.

They refused to fit an Audi supplied windscreen and wanted to put some cheaper non-branded glass in. This was despite the fact that my Insurance (Admiral) agreed that OEM parts should be used as the car was less than 6 months old.
Autoglass sarcastically told me that there are only 2 glass suppliers in the UK, so the cheaper non branded items they use would be no different to one supplied from Audi - apart from the logo printed in the bottom corner.

I wanted Audi branded glass as otherwise it it obvious that the glass has been replaced. In the end I went to National Windscreens and they ordered the glass from Audi direct without any problems - job done.

It might be worth checking exactly what glass Autoglass will put in...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
i had autoglass fill a stonechip in my windscreen and they have just replaced a new windscreen on our 135i (organised by BMW) - perfect job boths times.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys for the replies. The amount of glass I had prior to autoglass hoovering everything up was unbelievable. I still feel I should tip the car upside down!

I'm pleased to say the guy did a stellar job. Not audi branded glass but I guess it doesn't make much difference? Glass moves smoothly into the seal and the trim is in perfect condition.

Found out the bas***ds used a pebble or two to smash the glass. This is the "new" way to break the glass.

Sigh....it's over now

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm still having problems with my window repair. It seems the driver's door window supplied is sitting just slightly higher than the glass pane in the back. I'm experiencing a lot if wind noise where the window meets the back pane of glass.

The audi branded glass in the passager side seems slightly thinner than the new glass.

Should I get autoglass to change it? Has anyone had problems with glass replacement?

·
Registered
97 Posts
steem21 said:
I'm still having problems with my window repair. It seems the driver's door window supplied is sitting just slightly higher than the glass pane in the back. I'm experiencing a lot if wind noise where the window meets the back pane of glass.

The audi branded glass in the passager side seems slightly thinner than the new glass.

Should I get autoglass to change it? Has anyone had problems with glass replacement?
Nae luck Pal. I wouldn't allow Autoglass to swap my windscreen as they wouldn't guarantee an OEM Windscreen. Tempted to go to the stealers. It might be worth paying extra just for the peace of mind.

·
Registered
26,074 Posts
JPM said:
steem21 said:

Nae luck Pal. I wouldn't allow Autoglass to swap my windscreen as they wouldn't guarantee an OEM Windscreen. Tempted to go to the stealers. It might be worth paying extra just for the peace of mind.
Dealers use Autoglass or Autowindscreens

·
Registered
542 Posts
ffs some of you are so anal. Its only fooking glass. If it fooks up, just get it replaced again under your windscreen cover.

Girly blouses :roll:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The fooking glass is making a fooking racket and rather than have the boys rip off my door again, I was wondering if anyone knew how to adjust the glass so it's more flush with the back pane of glass.

·
Registered
542 Posts
steem21 said:
The fooking glass is making a fooking racket and rather than have the boys rip off my door again, I was wondering if anyone knew how to adjust the glass so it's more flush with the back pane of glass.
if a jobs worth doing, its worth doing properly.

Short answer is no :lol:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.