Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My biggest disappointment so far is how high the RPMs are at lower highway speeds. 3k rpm at just over 100kph. I can't think of a good reason why these cars didn't come with a sixth gear. Is there such a thing as a conversion? Thanks

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I'm not sure the 180's did. Mine has but it's a 225.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
My 180 has 6 gears, but some came with five. peeps say or I have heard that the 5 speed has a better gear ratio making it pull quicker. not sure how true it is though, would be interesting to know though

·
Registered
83,928 Posts
andyTT180 said:
Early 1999 180's were 5 speed don't really see your issue its never bothered me at high motorway speeds. Can't really see the point in a conversion
Correct the 6 speed was an option on early 180s

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I think it's probably only 200rpm difference at 100km/h on 5speed and 6 speed gearboxes... Doesn't worth it...

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
As far as I know, because I had one, all the 180 front wheel drive only came with 5 speeds. But the 180 Quattro came with 6 speeds. I have also seen a 225 with 5 speeds which is very rare. And no there is no cure to that. You can change the gearbox to a 6 speed but I am not sure the engine or diff will like that. The cure is to get a 225........ :p

·
Registered
345 Posts
slineTT said:
As far as I know, because I had one, all the 180 front wheel drive only came with 5 speeds. But the 180 Quattro came with 6 speeds. I have also seen a 225 with 5 speeds which is very rare. And no there is no cure to that. You can change the gearbox to a 6 speed but I am not sure the engine or diff will like that. The cure is to get a 225........ :p
Anybody I know with one of those rare 225`s

·
Registered
308 Posts
Slightly off-topic, but my mate's sister had an old banged-up Polo.

This car had a gear stick with R,1,2,3,4 written on it.

Took her 2 years to realise it was a 5-speed gearbox - but in true scouser style, they fitted the first gear knob to hand which happened to be a 4-speed....

:lol:

·
Registered
462 Posts
All 180s for the German market are 6 speed. Mines a regular 180 quattro with 5 speed. it was made for the Swiss market. Anywhere else except germany, you had to order a 6 as extra at the beginning me thinks. On another notem I think all the TT's for the UK market were with 6 speed as default... I can be wrong.

p.s. Yeah I got bothered a bit by the high rpms around 100 km/h too but what can you do..if you say the difference isn't so big with yours than it wouldn't be a problem..

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
My 180Q has 6 gears

·
Registered
273 Posts
My first TT was a 180. I asked Audi about changing the gearbox from 5 to 6 speed. They said it affects the engine management so not an easy mod.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
My 180q has 6 cogs..so does my mates 180q roadster.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts