Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when I start my TT there is a weird squeeling/screetching sound but only for a split second. At first I thougt it was a belt, but it's not a loose belt sound. It sounds like an accessory turned by one of the belts, idler pully, PS pump,... Is this a common problem that anyone recognizes?

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,355 Posts
Hi ob1coby, If it only happens on a cold start, then its likely to be alternator belt slipping, due to belt tensioner getting weak or may be battery on its last legs & requiring max charge, so extra torque causing alternator belt to slip.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I apriciate that, but it is definatly not a belt. It happens about 1 out of every 4 starts, hot or cold. it's one of the spinning accessories, water pump, alternator, PS pump or idler pully (probably bearings going out on one of them). It happens so fast I'm having trouble narrowing it down. Problem is I'm supposed to be on a road trip right now and I don't dare until I get it fixed.

·
Registered
19,084 Posts
ob1coby said:
I apriciate that, but it is definatly not a belt. It happens about 1 out of every 4 starts, hot or cold. it's one of the spinning accessories, water pump, alternator, PS pump or idler pully (probably bearings going out on one of them). It happens so fast I'm having trouble narrowing it down. Problem is I'm supposed to be on a road trip right now and I don't dare until I get it fixed.
if it happens at start up then it would continuie until, its a belt trust me............and as hoggy has explained check it out sir

·
Registered
392 Posts
It could be the starter motor sticking on. I had the same problem on a golf mk4. Mine does it occasionally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
brayboy said:
It could be the starter motor sticking on. I had the same problem on a golf mk4. Mine does it occasionally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bingo! The solinoid is not disengaging soon enough so when the flywheel is spools up so far beyond the starter speed it sometime takes a split second to fall back and it screams a little. Is there such a thing as a upgraded starter?

Thanks for everyone's help. There was a comment on this post about getting a TTOC membership or I would be hunted down. It looks like that comment was removed, but I'm wondering what a TTOC membership is. Is there a link to the details? thanks again.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Bingo! The solinoid is not disengaging soon enough so when the flywheel is spools up so far beyond the starter speed it sometime takes a split second to fall back and it screams a little. Is there such a thing as a upgraded starter?

Thanks for everyone's help. There was a comment on this post about getting a TTOC membership or I would be hunted down. It looks like that comment was removed, but I'm wondering what a TTOC membership is. Is there a link to the details? thanks again.
Hence why piston engined aircraft have a starter warning light, simple really, a light downstream of the solenoid tells you if it is sticking in and still supplying power to the starter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts