Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed the windscreen wipers on the Mk1 are slower then the Mk2 not having a Mk1 for some years a cant remember if they ran slow ........is this correct or are my motors going on my Mk1

comments welcome

·
Registered
378 Posts
could it not be the linkage starting to sieze? I changed my mates one as that went solid,I also changed someones linkage on an A4 i think they are prone to it,they get full of crap and start to sieze.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My wipers packed in a few months ago - took it to my local indie and they replaced the wiper motor - they said it was knackered ! However, im sure my wipers have gone a bit slower lately - either that or im just getting used to them, as they were noticeably much faster when the new motor was initially installed.

All this talk of the linkages seizing is making me worried that it was actually this reason why my wiper motor went in the first place and they should have replaced the linkages as well as the motor? surely though, if the linkages were seized, the mechanic at the garage would have discovered this as the linkages have to be taken off in order to get to the wiper motor? So in theory this would have been picked up if they were seized as the wipers still wouldn't have worked with the new motor fitted??

·
Registered
336 Posts
Mine failed so replaced motor and linkages, always thought the wipers were slow so was hoping a total renew would fix the slowness, however it was exactly the same. So in my opinion the wipers are just slow

edit just read above and Audi only supply a new motor with new linkages as one part so the garage will have done both.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Really? I only paid £94 for parts and it was itemised as a windscreen wiper motor only. Guy in the garage said that he had only replaced the wiper motor with a genuine audi one?

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
The TT, A4, A6 and A8 all have a similar design of wiper linkage and they are all prone to fail.

Mine seized and I replaced it but the damage was done and my wipers are now rather slow.

Don't forget to use plenty of copper slip on the ball joints of the new linkage when you replace it.

G

·
Well I can confirm mine are slow too. On double speed, I reckon they're just about equivalent to 'normal' for other cars I've driven.

Doug

·
Registered
145 Posts
hi i sprayed some anti seize on the linkage and then switched wipers on and gave them a helping hand after 5 mins they were up to full speed again this was about 3-4 months ago and they are still ok.

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
I changed the linkage on Nics MK4 Golf Turbo, they had seized totally solid and would not respond to wd40 or the various other liquids I sprayed all over it. It is very commonon the MK4 Golf and I guess the part is probably similar if not the same on the TT.

Charlie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.