Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My other half was driving home on the A303 yesterday and, whilst stationary near Stonehenge, was hit from the rear by the following car. Nothing dramatic, the driver of the automatic had just taken her foot off the brake and hit the rear of the TT at no more than 5mph. So just a 5p sized dent in the rear bumper which unfortunately has cracked the paint.
Hardly the end of the world, but why should my partner pay for fixing the result of someone else's careless driving ? As the TT went in for a new rear calliper this morning we asked the body shop for an estimate - about £200 to fix the ding and respray the panel.
The problem is the driver of the other car was quite aggressive and refused to acknowledge any damage, saying "that's nothing". To begin with she refused to give any details but relented at the end to give a name and address, but refused insurance details. Of course we have her reg. number but nothing else - no one stopped to act as a witness. I guess on a Friday afternoon everyone was keen to get home.
I'll contact the driver, send her a copy of the quote etc and suggest (in her interests) this is done outside of insurance. But I would not be surprised if she refuses to cooperate.
What would you do ?

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Ask your local police office/station how to proceed? and tell them she is reluctant to cooperate. She hit you from behind its the law she pays for the damage. She sounds like a pikey to me [smiley=gorgeous.gif] :?

Damien.

·
Registered
38 Posts
liffy99 said:
My other half was driving home on the A303 yesterday and, whilst stationary near Stonehenge, was hit from the rear by the following car. Nothing dramatic, the driver of the automatic had just taken her foot off the brake and hit the rear of the TT at no more than 5mph. So just a 5p sized dent in the rear bumper which unfortunately has cracked the paint.
Hardly the end of the world, but why should my partner pay for fixing the result of someone else's careless driving ? As the TT went in for a new rear calliper this morning we asked the body shop for an estimate - about £200 to fix the ding and respray the panel.
The problem is the driver of the other car was quite aggressive and refused to acknowledge any damage, saying "that's nothing". To begin with she refused to give any details but relented at the end to give a name and address, but refused insurance details. Of course we have her reg. number but nothing else - no one stopped to act as a witness. I guess on a Friday afternoon everyone was keen to get home.
I'll contact the driver, send her a copy of the quote etc and suggest (in her interests) this is done outside of insurance. But I would not be surprised if she refuses to cooperate.
What would you do ?
Go straight through her insurance via this

http://www.askmid.com/askmidenquiry.aspx

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
liffy99 said:
What would you do ?
Already what you have done, just ensure you have plenty of photos. Just see what they say back to you mate. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
If you have no witnesses and the other driver was aggressive should you not have rung the police straight away, at least you would have reported the accident and got a crime number??

What on earth can you do now if she just denies it? you have no proof and im guessing there is no damage to her car?

I would have at least taken pics on a phone as evidence.

·
Registered
13,044 Posts
Hark said:
I'd go straight to insurance. Wouldn't even give her the option as she was in the wrong yet got aggressive.
+1

Normally I'd be polite and suggest sender them a letter first, however in this case if they were aggressive then it'd probably just cause more hassle and delay. Go straight to the insurance with witness statements, photo's etc a soon as possible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts