Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the Midlands (I know it is Finland !) but unfortunately I live at the bottom of a cul de sac hill which is not salted by the council and it'ds quite a climb to the main road. In the previous 2 winters before last winter the only way i could get my then Ford Puma off our drive and up the road to the main "salted" road was by fitting winter tyres on the front of the Puma. Our other car, the wives, Vauxhall Astra diesel would just sit on the frozen or snow effected drive and cul de sac road spinning it's tyres, going nowhere fast, so a few days a year are missed off work, not good for the wife as she works for the Police.

I now have a TTR Quattro with 18 inch alloys and 40 profile tyres but I kept the original 17 inch alloys and I was wondering whether to fit some snow and mud tyres to just the front wheels and refit the alloys on the TTR for the winter months.

Any thoughts ?

I know this will protect my new shinny alloys but I was wondering how the TT/TTR handle in the winter weather on untreated roads.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I was running Kleber Quadraxer on 17" wheels last year as a winter tyre which worked well there are more a 4 season rubber so good in the wet too which was great last winter :(

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I live half a mile down a private lane all of which is up hill on the way out and down on the way home. I got to work every day with my normal Toyo T1Rs and a gentle right foot. None of my neighbours got out for a week both years. I for one am hoping for more snow fun this year :p

·
Registered
13,711 Posts
[smiley=bigcry.gif]

Seriously, I think winter tyres are a good idea, and I'd be keeping mine if I didn't need the money. Not sure if they'd have prevented snowy off a coupla years ago but I was sure-footed last winter that's for sure. Also not sure how far you'll get with a £200 budget for snow tyres. :?

Happy hunting. :)

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Diveratt said:
I was running Kleber Quadraxer on 17" wheels last year as a winter tyre which worked well there are more a 4 season rubber so good in the wet too which was great last winter :(
I think winter tyres are amazing it hasn't snowed since I got mine :D

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Firstly... Only two winter tyres is supposedly dangerous as the car could quite easily swap ends due to the lack of grip from the other end.

Secondly... I have the same 16" wheels and Avons as mondo and have to say they performed faultlessly last winter when we actually had some snow! I found that the Avons were the best value for money without going to cheap Chinese makes which I would never fit.

As mondo says, £200 ain't gonna get you much but a little more and you should be about there.

A word of warning if you are considering buying second hand of fleabay - winter tyres as technically classed as goosed when they hit 4mm of tread as they are designed to work with a heavier tread depth than summer tyres for obvious reasons. Alot of tyres on fleabay are 4-5mm :? Or they were when I was looking.

PS Don't ask why I deemed it necessary the use 'firstly' and 'secondly' above as I don't know! I am not a teacher or a weirdo! lol

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I would buy mondo's if I were in the market for some. I have a second set of alloys with winter tyres for both my BMWs and each of those sets cost just short of £1000 :(
£250 for genuine Audi wheels with decent winter rubber is a bargain.

On another note, only replacing the front tyres with winters is a bad idea on any car ;)

·
Registered
937 Posts
Garth said:
On another note, only replacing the front tyres with winters is a bad idea on any car ;)
I tried this on my Wife's Fabia the other year and can confirm that it is a bad idea. Had the back end out on almost every roundabout, which made life interesting to say the least.

·
Registered
332 Posts
You really need all 4 tyres the same, especially on a Haldex-equipped car. Also, as mentioned, fitting winter tyres to only the front axle will give you a really slippery back end.

As far as budget goes, look at it this way; the superior traction that winter tyres will give you will also help cornering and braking. You only need to avoid one accident, and / or avoid a day or two off work, and the tyres will have paid for themselves, and then some.

:)

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
I bought some part worn winter tyres for the wife's Rover. They were past half worn and were still phenomenal. Way better than Summer.

I know winter tyres are recommended till they get to 4mm, but I think even at that point they are better than winter tyres.

Havin said all that the TT is pretty impressive in the snow.

·
Registered
122 Posts
here in Finland winter tyres are mandatory so I'm used to putting them on from about december to april. I always love the feeling from going from 19" summer tyres to 18" winter tyres, feel so soft and nice :) the TT is also a really good car to drive on snow if you have good winter tyres, the point is you can accelerate and climb up hills with summer tyres in snow but the car will stop as slow as any other car. If I lived in England I would still do the same changing just to keep my summer rims in better shape. Also you won't need to get a new set of summer tyres so often if you swap them for a few months every year. Winter tyres should last 2-4 winters.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Forgot to mention hankook icebear w300 is a great affordable winter tyre. I managed to drive here with those for 3 winters even thought the tyres are not even marketed for the nordic countries. the best winter tyres allthough are Nokia RSI, they are amazing even on ice (eventhough studless), those are marketed for nordic countries (norway,swedes,russia etc) and I think you won't find them in england. But if theres a lot of snow and ice going on in your area I would try to see if it's possible to order those.

·
Registered
886 Posts
buy the narrowest winter tires on the smallest diameter rims you can use for best traction, called minus sizing, of course proper load carrying for the car, i ran 225-45-17 in summer on my vw, 195-65-15 in the winter for great braking as well as snow traction, only real snow tires need apply

1 - 16 of 16 Posts