Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's great to live with a car for a while, try before you buy and all that.

Things I would keep from the tts:

Electro shocks, awesome! Want!
Handling
Steering wheel

Things I would discard:

Auto w/paddle shifters (see below)
Stereo
Built in satnav

Flappy paddles are pretty useless really. The car gets there before you as you accelerate and there's not enough engine braking to make them useful upon deceleration, fun gimmick, but I firmly believe a drivers car should be manual.

The electro-magnetic ride setting is a godsend, I have a pensive mode and a mrs pensive mode :)

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Agree with above...you gotta have a manual for proper driver involvement....what happened when you got hit?...i assume you mean your car and not your face! :D

·
Super Moderator
8,677 Posts
Pensive666 said:
Flappy paddles are pretty useless really. The car gets there before you as you accelerate and there's not enough engine braking to make them useful upon deceleration, fun gimmick, but I firmly believe a drivers car should be manual.)
Were you actually in "manual" mode ie gearshift pushed across to the left? unless you are on rev limit or the car is likely to stall it won't shift for you :?

·
Premium Member
3,525 Posts
Ikon66 said:
Pensive666 said:
Flappy paddles are pretty useless really. The car gets there before you as you accelerate and there's not enough engine braking to make them useful upon deceleration, fun gimmick, but I firmly believe a drivers car should be manual.)
Were you actually in "manual" mode ie gearshift pushed across to the left? unless you are on rev limit or the car is likely to stall it won't shift for you :?
Yeah, would seem not. There's D, S mode, fully manual with paddle shift and gear lever shift. Who needs a clutch with all that. :lol: It's all personal preference but I think DSG is superb.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Pensive666 said:
Flappy paddles are pretty useless really. The car gets there before you as you accelerate and there's not enough engine braking to make them useful upon deceleration, fun gimmick, but I firmly believe a drivers car should be manual.
With HPA comp haldex I better four wheel drive engagement and I get full engine braking on overrun. Tell me how you feel after a few hours in stop start traffic for one example!

ades tt 180 said:
Agree with above...you gotta have a manual for proper driver involvement....
One word Bollox. So F1 drivers were not involved when when this concept was developed :? manual is stone age. - And I have had manual's all my driving life...
DSG gives you the best of both worlds - and dont bring up the old chestnut of mechatronic failure all I say back is clutch replacement.
But hey,- its your left leg ache mate! :lol:

Audi are pretty cute at marketing by providing a new car loan as temptation.....

Brian

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
i guess its all down to personal preference i have not driven a dsg flappy paddle
so cant really comment but will anyway :lol: manual feels like your driving the
car more and "automatic" transmission is just like DSG flappy paddle for me got to
be throwing that shift stick about :wink:

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
TT SMITHY said:
i guess its all down to personal preference

of course it is mate and we all buy what we want in the end.

i have not driven a dsg flappy paddle
so cant really comment but will anyway :lol: manual feels like your driving the
car more and "automatic" transmission is just like DSG flappy paddle
for me got to
be throwing that shift stick about :wink:
That identifies the whole point a 'manual' drivers misses (out on). With DSG it is a manual box - ablate the box does the hard work with the clutch.
Can I change gear at will ie: I have control - Yes.
Can I short shift - Yes ( DSG is quick to change).
Can I crash gears or select the 'wrong' gear - No
Can I launch control -Yes
Can I keep the engine on cam ( s mode) Yes
Can I drive like an old fart if I want - yes

... well I guess I AM an old fart, so that comes easy! :lol: :lol:
I have learned never to regard the unfamiliar, as possibly inferior.

Brian

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so i wrote a big post and got cookied.

:evil:

Yes, it was in manual mode.

If I change up a fraction of a second after the redline auto-changes it does a double change and kills the acceleration.

and you cant punch out of a roundabout properly with an auto box.

That is a brief summary of a very carefully worded, diplomatic and open minded resposne which now sounds a bit crap.

what the hell..

POST.

:p

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ades tt 180 said:
Agree with above...you gotta have a manual for proper driver involvement....what happened when you got hit?...i assume you mean your car and not your face! :D
It was a work colleague who reversed int oit in the car apark - i wasnt even there.

And get this: That day, one of my colleagues had been hit by a delivery lorry that day so a few of us car lovers moved our cars to somewhere unusual to keep them safe. Thus instigating the incident.

The irony was not lost on me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.