Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok yes i got caught and had to sit through 4.5hrs of crap rather than take 3 points and the fine. while on it the guys running it were going over things about this and that.......were all sinners and bad drivers rollocks!!! several times it came up in the conversations about speeding fines being an easy revenue for the police/government to collect once again. i sat and thought for a bit and put my hand up.......you do realise that if!! the government wanted to stop speeding for good they could as the technology exists and it only needs legislation to state all cars having a uk based MOT must have a device that auto reports the current speed of a vehicle installed uploaded every 30 seconds or whatever is agreed.

speeding over for good and no more revenue for the police/goverment...whoever gets it is what i mean. i was told i was being political lol

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Well with the steady creep of "good driver" spy boxes for lower insurance premiums frankly it's only a matter of time before your every move is spied on anyway. If "safety" is the real reason for cutting speed then rather than your approach, a better one would simply be a passive receiver in the car, with GPS, capable of receiving speed limit updates from transmitters, and have cars limited in speed according to the limit of the road it's on. The driver's free as they are now, but can't exceed the limit.

Of course some might say that the "safety" angle is just used to appear the "won't someone PLEASE think of the children" brigade, but if it's genuinely about safety, then this could be done with most modern cars which are often speed-limited anyway.

·
Administrator
33,474 Posts

·
Registered
19,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
John-H said:
Sometimes it's safer to break a speed limit to avoid a potential accident. Something that limited speed could therefore be a contributory cause of an accident.
agreed john, hence why i offered my solution and not scoobs tbh as i felt that occasionally you might need to boot it to avoid a bad situation. the other argument i imagine is why did you put yourself into a bad situation?. the only way around this is to actually completely automate driving in built up areas wherby the car is taken over by an inbuilt computer linked to a central system for that area.

·
Registered
83,929 Posts
I had to go on one of these last week and have to say the it was nothing like i expected more about safer driving planning a head and being a pro active driver and not a reactive driver than a naughty boy lecture .I was very impressed with the 2 guys who presented it

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Gazzer said:
ok yes i got caught and had to sit through 4.5hrs of crap rather than take 3 points and the fine. while on it the guys running it were going over things about this and that.......were all sinners and bad drivers rollocks!!! several times it came up in the conversations about speeding fines being an easy revenue for the police/government to collect once again. i sat and thought for a bit and put my hand up.......you do realise that if!! the government wanted to stop speeding for good they could as the technology exists and it only needs legislation to state all cars having a uk based MOT must have a device that auto reports the current speed of a vehicle installed uploaded every 30 seconds or whatever is agreed.

speeding over for good and no more revenue for the police/goverment...whoever gets it is what i mean. i was told i was being political lol
Cannot believe they are still punting out that crap......it's proven not to work when you start beating down on people, most individuals just switch off and the message is lost. The bottom line is to start educating drivers with info they can understand and that makes sense and hopefully will allow them to improve their planning and observation and driving skills. That would be a lot more use of 4 hours of someones time than pulling their pants down and bitching at them.

·
Registered
19,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
YELLOW_TT said:
I had to go on one of these last week and have to say the it was nothing like i expected more about safer driving planning a head and being a pro active driver and not a reactive driver than a naughty boy lecture .I was very impressed with the 2 guys who presented it
i agree it was very well run Andy, just that they wanted people to interact and elaborate on certain things......so me being me i had our group of four to elaborate on everything. then the others started to open up once we brought them into the conversation etc etc. with two hours to go the guy started looking at the clock and using language like.......right can we move on please! we just kept going as we were and suddenly we were skipping through stuff like no-ones business to finish the whole thing they have to go through. was soooooo funny in the end :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts