Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
4,806 Posts
Another thumbs up for Jim and his team at Star Performance...one of the worst things about not having the TT anymore is not having a reason to visit for servicing and mod work work safe in the knowledge that I was getting superb value for my hard earned £'s.

Visit with confidence! :)

http://www.starperformance.co.uk/

Dave

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Tucked away in an industrial estate theres a cracking performance shop with friendly people and a great knowlodge of cars.

Simply Excellent Service

Bobski

·
Registered
347 Posts
Have to agree with Trev... now on my second TT and wouldn't take it anywhere else. Just had major service, cambelt and brakes done and the service was first class :D

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had my car in at star on saturday to get the oil changed on the haldex system and jim is doing a special offer for TTOC members £50:00 inclusive just phone up and book your car in and give Jim your membership number :)

cheers trev

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
£50 thats a great deal.... anymore special offers for ttoc members at star?

im thinking of getting some work done on the 16th as im driving to glasgow that day to fly to malaga so would be great to drop in by :)

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had the car mot'ed yesterday and it passed always glad to get the call to pick it up :)
but on the way home the battery light came on and the esp light and the dash lights began to dim, Got home and switched it off to find the battery was dead as a dodo, phoned jim and he said he would send Brian round in the morning with a new battery and see if that was the problem which it was dont think many garages would give you that kind of service,
anyway thumbs up for star for a great service long my it last :)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
had my remap and dv done at star,bn a month now and its sweeeeeeet.brilliant service all good :p

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
trev said:
Had the car mot'ed yesterday and it passed always glad to get the call to pick it up :)
but on the way home the battery light came on and the esp light and the dash lights began to dim, Got home and switched it off to find the battery was dead as a dodo, phoned jim and he said he would send Brian round in the morning with a new battery and see if that was the problem which it was dont think many garages would give you that kind of service,
anyway thumbs up for star for a great service long my it last :)
Found out that the alternator was done £260 :( been a hard month

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
trev said:
trev said:
.. surely not - it's hardly been used! :roll: :lol: :lol:

Finally got my remap and decided that whilst it was in at Dr Jim's that I'd get treated to Variant 1s and cruise control .. and absolutely no regrets 8) First class work and customer service!

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rabTT said:
trev said:
trev said:
.. surely not - it's hardly been used! :roll: :lol: :lol:

Finally got my remap and decided that whilst it was in at Dr Jim's that I'd get treated to Variant 1s and cruise control .. and absolutely no regrets 8) First class work and customer service!
3000 mls this year :p

·
Registered
71 Posts
After reading the reviews on here I contacted these guys a month or two ago about a remap and i gotta say i wasnt impressed really. The guy i spoke to (Jim i think he said) seemed entirely disinterested in answering any queries about the different stuff available. Even going so far as slating some of the other big firms maps in favour of his "own" map.

Then he told me i should only expect 140bhp ish on his dyno from a 225 TT! sorry guys, but as a novice i cant see how when everyone else gets more realistic figures on their dyno's. I was left with the impression that the guy either had a F**ked dyno or didnt know how to set it up properly to get right readings - Which seems entirely at odds with what the users are saying on here who all rate Star performance pretty highly - and i dont doubt for one minute any of you have had excellent service from them.

maybe i caught him on a bad day (it was a friday!) maybe i misinterpreted what he was saying, maybe he just couldnt be bothered with answering questions from a newbie who just wanted some reassurance he was doing the right thing but it was the general level of disinterest when i was gonna part with hard earned cash that put me off in the end, even if his map was half the price of the competition, if you dont have confidence in the guy doin the job it aint a bargain is it?

In the end i got a trial map from elsewhere to try, and am about to part with cash for the full map shortly. Would rather have gone to Star performance because they are fairly local but i dont know anyone who has had it, and he didnt offer any testimonials either, pity really.

I will maybe give them another try when i am looking for something next time, everyone deserves a second chance i would say - i would be interested in hearing from anyone who has Star's own re-map to see how they rate it

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry to hear about your experience with star, it must of been an off day for jim as he is usually a chatter box,
ive had a remap from them and every things fine very happy with it and thats been over a year now, does all my servicing as well and mod's :p where is it your based is it in fife?
cheers trev

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Trev,

I had kinda hoped someone would come to Star's defence - i genuinely like the idea of a GOOD independant that i can trust being close by, and all the reviews on here seem to rate them pretty highly so thats a good sign, as i say, i had one bad conversation with him, but i wont write ANYONE off based on one experience, absolutey anyone me included can have one helluva bad day at work lol -just made me a little wary - hence the post looking for independant experiences.

So was it his own remap you had done?? or one of the ones he sells ( not APR or Revo, cant remember the "make" he said - sounded italian, beginning with a G i think) and how do you find it? whats it like in daily use? oh and did you try any others first? He kinda slated APR on the phone too, sayin he used to work for them and their remap could corrupt the ecu, leave data on it and potentially damage my car etc etc, but again others on the forum rate APR and REVO (amongst others quite highly) Or even do you know anyone thats had his own remap done?

I had a 6hr trial of the APR remap elsewhere (Glenrothes) and to be honest was really really impressed with what felt like the HUGE boost in midrange and roll on throttle response was gutted when the 6hrs was up lol - havent tried Revo's trial but did think about it. Both of these are twice the price of Star's own remap, but whilst price is important i would rather pay £400 for a good (and relatively safe) remap than £200 for one that max's boost to get peak figures and end up blowing the motor or something! NOT that i am suggetsing Star's own remap is like that, just that its a little firm, not very well known outside fife/scotland and after the phone call its not unreasonable to be a little wary ya know? especially if they are sayin theirs is way better than a big USA multinational tuning firm.

I am not in Fife, but just a little over the border near Perth.
Any help or advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated trev, honestly, i am not here to slate any firm, just want to go the "right" route with my car, and there is a positive wealth of knowledge and experience on here that can help us all avoid costly mistakes

cheers

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
- To keep the section completely unbiased, please can the dealers/indi's mentioned in the threads please not respond to threads. If a Dealer/Indi finds a thread/message objectionable, please contact a member of the moderating support team and inform us of the problem.
..................................................................................................................................................
Hi Bodyart
I was at star yesterday and mentioned to them that one of our members had contacted you and was far from happy with the response you gave him, Jim or Brian has no recollection of the conversation with you and asks if you could give him a call back regarding the matter he would be more than happy to discuss it with you.
01592 655595

As for the remap the car is on the rolling road before any work is done to find if any underlying problems if any, he remaps the car and its back onto the rolling road to check the outlet power of the map, then road tested.its not just a quick plug in computer remap and off you go he takes his time and puts the same effort into everyone's car as if it was his own. he is very well experienced in what he does and i for one would never let anyone else touch my car.you said its a small firm i would say its a very experienced family run company with customer satisfaction at the top of the list, and i know that he goes out of his way to help dealers like Dundee/Perth Audi with problems they occur in a working day and with him being a sponsor on the TTOC you get your discount as well :)

Trev

·
Registered
903 Posts
bodyart said:
After reading the reviews on here I contacted these guys a month or two ago about a remap and i gotta say i wasnt impressed really. The guy i spoke to (Jim i think he said) seemed entirely disinterested in answering any queries about the different stuff available. Even going so far as slating some of the other big firms maps in favour of his "own" map.

Then he told me i should only expect 140bhp ish on his dyno from a 225 TT! sorry guys, but as a novice i cant see how when everyone else gets more realistic figures on their dyno's. I was left with the impression that the guy either had a F**ked dyno or didnt know how to set it up properly to get right readings - Which seems entirely at odds with what the users are saying on here who all rate Star performance pretty highly - and i dont doubt for one minute any of you have had excellent service from them

maybe i caught him on a bad day (it was a friday!) maybe i misinterpreted what he was saying, maybe he just couldnt be bothered with answering questions from a newbie who just wanted some reassurance he was doing the right thing but it was the general level of disinterest when i was gonna part with hard earned cash that put me off in the end, even if his map was half the price of the competition, if you dont have confidence in the guy doin the job it aint a bargain is it?

In the end i got a trial map from elsewhere to try, and am about to part with cash for the full map shortly. Would rather have gone to Star performance because they are fairly local but i dont know anyone who has had it, and he didnt offer any testimonials either, pity really.

I will maybe give them another try when i am looking for something next time, everyone deserves a second chance i would say - i would be interested in hearing from anyone who has Star's own re-map to see how they rate it
Doesn't sound like jim to me. He's been nothing but helpfull with an questions I've had in the past. I also don't see him saying you would get the bhp your quoting on the rolling road unless your car is knackered. Sounds like you phoned the local chipy by accident... There is a jim that works there :p

·
Registered
510 Posts
If you are in any doubt I would recommend that you take a drive over to Star and have a chat with Jim and have a good look at his set up before you entrust your car to him. He is one of the most knowledgeable and helpful guys that I know at any garage in Scotland. But, as you say, you may have got him on a bad day and, knowing him, he would be mortified if he read your post.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts