Audi TT Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Hi bodyart

I'm also sorry to hear that you've had a bad conversational experience with JIm. Jim has been in the VW/Audi scene for more years than he'd probably care to remember (20+ at a rough guess), therefore knowledge has never been in question. IMHO, Jim tells you as it is .. my preferred method from any mechanic. On mant occasion, I've been to him with my usual 'wish list' and he generally tells me what he thinks of it and (more importantly) why. Jim will usually do as the customer wants but occasionally, Jim may (and has the right to) refuse to fit a certain part for a number of reasons (i) he considers it unsafe (ii) he considers that something else needs to be done first, possibly as a priority (iii) he feels that the customer would be wasting their money, to name but a few reasons.

Basically, jock has given very good advice. Call Jim and pop down and see him and their set-up. He can be uber busy so if you want to make the most of your visit, ask him when he might be a little quieter so you can have a decent blether.

I, for one, would like to know how you get on and it would be nice if you could give forumers an update :)

I hope this helps ..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Guys, Guys Lets not fall out over the local Chippy! how about if i promise to visit there too when I go for a look at star performance? just so i know the difference between the two Jims - will that restore peace and harmony to the forum? :lol: :lol:

No seriously, as i said in my previous posts, i try to NEVER write anyone off based on just one experience, for the reasons quoted previously. I think the words of advice given by Jock, Rab, Trev et al are all very valid and important and i think it would be worthwhile to just pop in by Star next time i am passing "just for a look" as it were and see if anyone has time for a chat (i presume they have some of the usual bits n pieces for sale rather than being a fully dedicated workshop/repair facility??)

The whole point of my initial post i guess was that, being new to the TT scene (and "modern" tuning on 4 wheels in general) I was trying to gather as much info as i could before i made any decisions on what to do/ where to go and this forum has proved invaluable, the depth and bredth of knowledge of members is truely extrodinary and to be applauded - everyone keep up the good work please.

As part of that i "discovered" Star performance directly from here, and the reviews/comments were all most supportive and encouraging. So i was really surprised when i made the call, got to speak to what sounded (from here anyway) like the "head man" and got such i bad experience (to be fair to everyone i really should have posted it at the time rather than a few weeks later, but life was a little hectic for a few weeks and it slipped my mind but then, a few weeks later and i think its the "important" bits of the conversation you remember i think ). So i posted the experience here for comments from members who have, to a man, been quick support Star,their staff and give me even more reason to think my call was just simply a bad day. I didnt want to cross them off the list of good garages based on one call, not with what you guys were all saying about them. I can appreciate how distracting/irritating it can be if some random numpty is disturbing you when you're in the middle of something complicated (or in the middle of a bad day!) and if it had been me on the receiving end of the call i cant say i would have been all sweetness and light in those circumstances :D :D

So thanks guys, thanks for all the comments i will be taking your advice and dropping in to see them (and the local chippy if it keeps the peace) before any final decisions regarding remapping etc are finally made and money spent. I still maintain good local independants are worth their weight in gold! I have always been a supporter of the local guy where possible because generally they seem to care more, and you can build up a good trusting relationship with your pride n joy, not to mention if anything goes wrong its easier to resolve quickly and effectively as you feel an important part of their business rather than just a customer number. I will search/post on the 8N general forum for any comments about Star's "own brand" remap and any benefits over APR/REVO/CustomCode etc etc, it would be really interesting to see a power/torque curve from theirs compared to others so if anyone has had Star's own please please please feel free to post/email/PM me a copy :)

once again thanks for all your comments guys they are all appreciated!!!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Bodyart, I am delighted to hear your that you have made up your own mind to have a visit to Star to see what they have to offer. Good luck, and I am sure that you won't regret your decision.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
hey bodyart, iv had a remap off star and couldnt fault it.the service i got was second to none.my cars been back for a major service and is going in very soon for a cambelt change.got to say when i was in for the service jim was great,advised me on a couple of minor things with the car and gave advice on the upcoming cambelt change.really surprised you had a rough experiance but im very sure it will be a one off.

p.s. as for the map it,s brilliant,got it done with a forge 007p dv.(which im sure you have been advised to replace as well) and the diffrence is very noticable :p :p :p

·
Registered
15 Posts
Jac-in-a-Box said:
one of the worst things about not having the TT anymore is not having a reason to visit for servicing and mod work work safe in the knowledge that I was getting superb value for my hard earned £'s. Dave
This was exactly how I felt when I took a rush of blood and bought a Merc. [smiley=end.gif]

Good news is I'm back in the fold, I picked up my first TT today and will be visiting Star on wednesday to let Jim fit a cruise control. :mrgreen:

Star offers excellent and honest service, I wouldn't consider going anywhere else and belive me I'm bloody fussy when it comes to having my cars worked on. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Another thumbs up for Jim, Brian and the rest of the crew at Star 8)

Service was excellent - Jim's wife even drove us into Kirkcaldy in her S3 :)

Had R32 anti-roll bars fitted front and rear today as an upgrade, as the standard rear bushes were likely to be a potential MOT failure next year - rather than simply replace with an OEM, went for the upgrade. A full 4 wheel laser alignment was also carried out (just as well, as some of the rear cambers were out

We had cruise control fitted too, and the total time was around 4 hours in total, which is good going :)

Jim also pointed out that the rear tyres were wearing badly on the inside edge due to the previous rear cambers...potentially saved us hassle, fines and points from the police

Make no mistake...excellent service and good prices 8)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Took my TT up to Star on Tuesday to get the rear trailing arm bushes fitted .. problem started with one of the long bolts snapping due to corrosion and age (s**t happens). Jim was excellent .. got straight on the phone and arranged for a new bracket and a couple of new bolts to be delivered the next day (car stranded on the ramps). At the same time Jim took the opportunity to look over the rear suspension and spotted a leaking rear shock (warranty) and corroded rose joints. Suggests to me that it would be a good time to get these seen to as we had the rear stripped already . . . saving me money! So, a few calls later and parts despatched to Star pronto. He also replaced the thermostat whilst the car was sitting about idly and even VagCom cleared my 'airbag' warning light, as I'd taken it off again for photos because of my flat bottom steering wheel mod.

That pretty much sums up Jim and Co. .. offering advice for the best way forward for customers. I've sometimes come up with ideas for my car and Jim's either said "yep, no worries" or "ermm, I've a suggestion that might be better for you" - that's the kind of mechanic you want!

Cheers Jim (and All at Star) - friendly service 8)

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well it's that time of year again M.O.Ttime which i hate :( Got a reminder phone call from star to say it was due and was asked to bring it over, due to my work (stand - by) i would not be able to, so Janet said one of the guys would pop over pick the car up and give it the once over before taking it to the mot station they use, which they done at no extra cost and the best part it passed phew :p, As always car mats and paper foot mats were in place great service Star pleasure using your company,

·
Registered
75 Posts
Got my car booked in at Star to have the customary cam belt and water pump replacement next week, seemed a very good quote I got from Jim so thought I'd go down and see what they're like :)

Will enjoy the drive there and back from Forfar too 8)

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
radm4 said:
Got my car booked in at Star to have the customary cam belt and water pump replacement next week, seemed a very good quote I got from Jim so thought I'd go down and see what they're like :)

Will enjoy the drive there and back from Forfar too 8)
ask Jim or Brian if they have any windscreen washer caps left for sale he had a few left for sale the other week :p make a nice change to the engine bay :)

·
Registered
774 Posts
I can understand someone having a bad service experience at some point with every company although with Audi Stirling it was nearly every time :twisted:.

In general I like Star but have to say that I never leave there without being told of a fault/problem. This means either Star tell porkies or my TT isn't robust. I suspect it's the latter :( .
I still take my car back there for work so I do have faith that they do things correctly but have to say they're not the cheapest and are therefore probably Central Scotland's closest thing to the TT Shop ie great skill, medium price.

I'm also surprised that Jim seemed disinterested with a customer who wanted to chip his/her TT as that's been a considerable part of their business for a long time and he's got a loyal following. I think they used to use some other firm's code to chip engines so maybe there's been a divorce there.

We also have to remember that a frequent customer often gets better service than a new customer looking to spend a little amount of money. There was a fella' on this forum a while ago saying his local dealership treated him like a King and that he got his latest car "unveiled" when he went to collect it and IIRC with the sales staff standing by clapping. Now that sounds great service until you read he had bought a squillion cars from that dealership in not-that-many-years and he had been told he was their "best customer" so it was relative. Me with my single car purchase in the last 10 years would have been treated like a pauper in comparison.

Petesky

·
Registered
75 Posts
Took my car up to Star for the cam belt kit change on Friday. Left the car there at about 12pm and went for a tour about in my dads new car and then picked the car up at 5pm. Good price for the change, good service and had a good chat with Jim about TT's in general and my car specifically, as Jim had serviced it for the previous owner too.

Would deffo go back :)

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
i heard a bad story about star performance last week.... just shows thatnobody is perfect eh.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
oh sorry trev, i didnt realise this section was for good reviews only? maybe you can point me in the right direction of the "i had a bad experiance at a garage section" :roll:

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
ah got ya!

its a fairly long winded affiar regarding remaps on two guys cars :roll:

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Kammy, I think what trev is trying to say is that it is only helpful when the problem is explained. When stories from a friend of a friend come round, they usually grow arms and legs. Let us know on here what the problem has been....it'll give others something to look out for when their own car goes for work or indeed maybe Star have not been aware that your friend of a friend had issues.

Hev x

21 - 40 of 62 Posts