Audi TT Forum banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Check out the following video:
Guessing you'll either have a connector similar to the one shown around 5:55

or you have something that looks like this...

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Roadster
11,534 Posts
@ wyx - In one of the previous posts you stated -

Pole87 RED 12+ Live must be connected to BLACk/WHITE wire, to "ignition on" source
Pole30 RED STARTER WIRE - connect to RED/BLACK wire located at the back of the ignition barrel
Pole86 BLACK EARTH - Ground

Did your Start button include a Relay? It looks like these Pole numbers you've listed are Relay connection points, as shown in the diagram below, which came directly from the Mk2 link I provided earlier.

Assuming this is a 12V Normally Open (NO) relay, it would seem the Start Button activates the Relay and is not actually wired directly into the ignition circuit. If I understand correctly how this is circuit diagram functions, the Start Button energizes the Relay at 85 & 86 which then closes the ignition circuit contacts across 30 & 87. I'm guessing the second power line to the Button (2) is just to illuminate it, which is why it taps into the +12v when ignition on wire so it's not powered all the time.

Looking at the wiring diagram, I inserted an illustration from the WSM. For whatever reason, the wires are not color coded on the wiring diagram. But at least you can see what's being described.

So to make this work, the user has to turn the key to the second position (ignition on) and hold it with the right hand, and at the same time, press the Start button to activate the Relay with the left hand which then completes the ignition circuit and starts the car.

Wow - talk about the long way around the barn. Rube Goldberg would be proud! :lol:

Relay.JPG

IgnitionPinAssignments.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Guys. I attach the documentation part and the pictures about the start button .

20210220_190541.jpg

20210220_190509.jpg

20210220_190555.jpg

20210220_190659.jpg

As shown, 3 cables coming out from the device should be connected to the car, not 4. I think, the 4th is prewired already.

@Chaos thanx for the video, very useful. I have to check it more deeply. I dont wanna remove in any case the plastic part under the wheel, I need the other side of the wiring. If we would have a video or doc how to remove the plastic on Audi TT mk2 (not on VW), i would try.

@Swiss, also thanx, but I think, according to my doc, not needed to hold any key in position just pushing the button.
Yes, it has a relay, the poles refer to this I think, but still not totally clear, where to connect the cables.

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
Where can I find the buttons in this image? I think they could make a really fun project with a MK2 wheel!

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
chriscapon said:
Where can I find the buttons in this image? I think they could make a really fun project with a MK2 wheel!
This is not possible. Shpold be run through the steering wheel loom, which is not free.

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Roadster
11,534 Posts
@ chriscapon - Run a Google search for "Integrated Switch R8 Engine Start Stop Button" and you'll find there are a number of sources.

According to this website that sells them, there are several versions of the buttons available depending on the steering wheel. They also provide some DIY installation instructions.

https://www.vagexpress.com/products/int ... f-7-arteon

I emailed Greg at HazzyDayz and asked if they could install the buttons shown in the advertisement. He confirmed they had recently completed a retrofit installation -

"Yes we can add these. We did a R8 last week with the same steering wheel as you have on your TT. It took about 5 hours to complete as we need to cut your steering wheel to modify it for the brackets, etc.

Then to note, the Start/Stop button only works to start the engine, they do not stop the engine. Basically these buttons operate a set on relays, so you can assign the buttons to any switch that operates via a push button switch. As long as you supply the current button set for your vehicle, we can carry out the installation for you at £475+VAT."

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Roadster
11,534 Posts
Just a follow up on this, Greg from HazzyDayz sent another email confirming they can incorporate both the left Shift D-S button and the right Start button into the Mk2 steering wheel.

If anyone is interested, please contact them directly for details and prices.

·
Registered
3.2 V6
4,932 Posts
I'd be interested to see photos of the modified TT steering wheel. Also, does the DSG on our TTs not have a mechanical linkage between D and S? I know the other positions do, but D to S is a shorter movement. Just interested more than anything

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Roadster
11,534 Posts
I would imagine that since the paddle shifters can be used to shift up and down through the gears, wiring a button to change D to S would be pretty straight forward.

Copied this from the workshop manual - Transmission, Automatic 6-speed - A005TT01520

Selector mechanism

In selector lever position "P" the selector lever cable is used to engage the parking lock mechanically. All other gearshift commands and selector lever positions are transmitted via the CAN data bus from the selector lever -E313- (selector mechanism) to the mechatronic unit for dual clutch gearbox -J743-.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
MT-V6 said:
I'd be interested to see photos of the modified TT steering wheel. Also, does the DSG on our TTs not have a mechanical linkage between D and S? I know the other positions do, but D to S is a shorter movement. Just interested more than anything
Only the Park has mechanical linkage to the transmission that engage/disengage the parking pawl. The R, N, D, S and tiptronic are all electronically controlled. DSG use a shift fork to lock the selected gear similar to a manual transmission. The only diference are DSG locks 2 gears at the same time and the shift fork is hydraulically controlled.

Try moving the gear selector to Neutral, without stepping on the brake pedal try moving the gear selector to D, S or Tiptronic the gear will not engage the transmission is still in neutral. The gear will only engage from N to D, S and tiptronic without stepping on the brake if the car is mpving above 10-15 km/h

Try doing DSG Basic Setting you will hear the shift fork move and feel the transmission engage the gears while the gear selector is in Park and your foot is on the brake pedal.

·
Registered
404 Posts
guys, since I bought my new steering wheel, before mounting it I would like to have clear ideas to be able to:

A) install the START ENGINE button
B) install another button that is connected to my "SPORT" button;

1) could you tell me what I need for this mod?

2) do I install an aftermarket kit that I find on AliExpress or do I think I understand that someone has made a canbus kit that can be installed on mk2?

3) how can I use the button that I will mount on the steering wheel and connect it to the kit?

4) how can I connect the other button to the standard one for the sport function?

5) I would like the two buttons to be illuminated with white LEDs and a satin frame, do I have them made on purpose or is there something compatible with my standard steering wheel?

6)which buttons could I mount that have white LED light? do I have them made to measure?

7) it is necessary not to lose any OEM function such as automatic door closing or reopening when key is removed, etc., obviously I am aware of the fact that the key must still be used

·
Registered
404 Posts
SwissJetPilot said:
Just a follow up on this, Greg from HazzyDayz sent another email confirming they can incorporate both the left Shift D-S button and the right Start button into the Mk2 steering wheel.

If anyone is interested, please contact them directly for details and prices.
how can i contact him?

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Roadster
11,534 Posts
I personally don't know anyone at the team at HazzyDayz as my questions have been rather general. You may want to just send them an email to inquire. I'm not sure how much information they will be willing to share since this is what their company does professionally; retrofit various vehicles. But hopefully they can share enough information to help point you in the right direction with the installation of the start button.

Another option would be to search through other TT Mk2 or Audi R8 Forums to see if you can find anything regarding the installation of the kit shown above. Check the link below as there are some instructions provided -

https://www.vagexpress.com/products/int ... f-7-arteon

·
Registered
492 Posts
SwissJetPilot said:
I would imagine that since the paddle shifters can be used to shift up and down through the gears, wiring a button to change D to S would be pretty straight forward.

Copied this from the workshop manual - Transmission, Automatic 6-speed - A005TT01520

Selector mechanism

In selector lever position "P" the selector lever cable is used to engage the parking lock mechanically. All other gearshift commands and selector lever positions are transmitted via the CAN data bus from the selector lever -E313- (selector mechanism) to the mechatronic unit for dual clutch gearbox -J743-.
Sure but if the selector is in one position and the button sends a CAN signal to go into sport mode, at a minimum you'll get a fault code for bad shifter/implausible position or signal. Then who knows what happens after that--will it go into S for a second, return to D, go into some limp mode, etc. There may be a way to do it but basically doing this without any kind of module or programming for it, would be like connecting another shifter up and having them in different positions--which one is the car going to choose and what will be the result is anybody's guess.

I once tried dismantling the headlight switch in my A3 so that I could make it so you could pull out the switch in auto mode, to have the fog lights come on with out having to manually turn the switch to the ON position and then pull it out. I thought I was being smart removing the mechanical inhibition in the switch to allow for fogs to be automatically on when the headlights turned on automatically. Haha car just laughed at me. Fogs did not turn on, instead the headlights turned on at all times (with ignition on) and implausible signal fault code was set for the headlight switch lol. Only thing to do from there to have the fogs on with the headlights would be to physically wire some relays to turn them on with the lights which I thought about doing, but never bothered to do. This is obviously completely unrelated but should illustrate the point of sending messages on the bus (CAN, K-line, whatever) that the car was never designed to use, or sending conflicting messages--just not going to work the way you intend them to.

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Roadster
11,534 Posts
In response to my inquiry -

"We did a R8 last week with the same steering wheel as you have on your TT, And it took about 5 hours to complete as we need to cut your steering wheel to modify it for the brackets etc,

Then to note, the Start stop button only works to start the engine, they do not stop the engine, basically these buttons operate a set on relays, so you can assign the buttons to any switch that operates via a push button switch.

As long as you supply the current button set for your vehicle, we can carry out the installation for you at £475+VAT."

-HazzyDayz Team

·
Registered
404 Posts
it is not clear to me that the steering wheel should be cut; the start engine button, if connected directly to the key, will only have the start function, to have all the functions as normal, you will also need to install a kit! the assembly I have no way to have them do it in any case £ 470 is too expensive, I'm talking to VagExpress who told me to have all the kit I need including the Wi-Fi module to avoid the passage of cables, let's see what cost of purchase will notify me

·
Registered
404 Posts
MT-V6 said:
I would like to do it like this one but with two buttons and not 4, I have to understand if I can change the wiring of the two buttons in order to connect the black one to my sport button (magnetic ride) and the red one to the key or to a kit for a button instead of the key

Attachments

21 - 40 of 77 Posts