Audi TT Forum banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
SwissJetPilot said:
@ chriscapon - Run a Google search for "Integrated Switch R8 Engine Start Stop Button" and you'll find there are a number of sources.

According to this website that sells them, there are several versions of the buttons available depending on the steering wheel. They also provide some DIY installation instructions.

https://www.vagexpress.com/products/int ... f-7-arteon

I emailed Greg at HazzyDayz and asked if they could install the buttons shown in the advertisement. He confirmed they had recently completed a retrofit installation -

"Yes we can add these. We did a R8 last week with the same steering wheel as you have on your TT. It took about 5 hours to complete as we need to cut your steering wheel to modify it for the brackets, etc.

Then to note, the Start/Stop button only works to start the engine, they do not stop the engine. Basically these buttons operate a set on relays, so you can assign the buttons to any switch that operates via a push button switch. As long as you supply the current button set for your vehicle, we can carry out the installation for you at £475+VAT."

it has been more than a week since I contacted VagExpress, they answer me with a dropper, telling me only that it can be done but they have not yet answered telling me what to buy, I am also annoyed to ask again without receiving any response!

·
Registered
403 Posts
guys, since VagExpress doesn't answer me, let's try to make this MOD; the main obstacle in my opinion is to be able to modify the wiring in order to make the black button compatible with any button on our TT, for example esp or the sport button; same thing for the red button, the wiring should be changed to make it compatible with the key and all this using the Wi-Fi function integrated in the buttons

·
Registered
403 Posts
then, let's proceed step by step;

1) choice of buttons to be mounted on the shape of our steering wheel.

2) as far as I am concerned, I prefer the button mode with integrated Wi-Fi so you will need to look for a wiring / adapter that, from each of the 2 receivers, interfaces with the function you want to control, such as the sport button or the key

https://www.aiduauto.com/blog/for-audi- ... b0038.html

·
Registered
403 Posts
guys I really don't know who to turn to to make this modification, I turned to many button sellers and those who answer tell me they are not compatible with my steering wheel; VagExpress doesn't even deign to reply to the messages I wrote to them both on whatsapp and on Messenger and in their AliExpress channel

the first thing to understand is which buttons to buy that have the attachment base compatible with the shape of our steering wheel

·
Registered
403 Posts
guys I bought a kit of r8 Style wireless buttons, it will not be easy to get the engine started with the red button and to get / deactivate the Sport function, if you have any advice they would be very welcome; there is a kit of original and plug & play components but it costs too much, about € 900 and honestly I don't want to spend all this money

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Roadster
11,534 Posts
There's an Audi TT guru named "ReTTro fit" who is a wizard at these sorts of modifications. I've sent him a PM to see if he's willing to help support this project.

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Roadster
11,534 Posts
Yes. He's the guy that got the original reverse camera post going some years ago along with a ton of other Mk2 mods.

FYI - check my previous post on page 3 as I updated it with some Audi R8 documentation links for you. Also sent you a PM. :)

ReTTro fit.JPG

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Roadster
11,534 Posts
I'm not sure. You'll need to download the wiring diagram and trace it. If you can't get to the documents in the link I provided, send me a PM and I can email them to you.

According to the SSP, there are two versions of the R8 steering wheel, the Standard (shown below with 2-buttons) and the Performance which has four buttons.

I found this post, not sure if it's helpful, but will keep digging and posting -

https://www.aiduauto.com/blog/for-audi- ... diagram-38

AudiR8StandardLeatherSteeringWheel.JPG

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Roadster
11,534 Posts
Found this and it looks like there may be a guy in Italy that can help. This is from a post on installing a Mk3 steering wheel (with start button) into a Mk2 -

Mk3 TT steering wheel retrofitted to my Mk2 TT
https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthre ... T-finally-!

"For the dongle to tap into the signal conversion so that the new wheel button signals can work with the car please contact Luca at [email protected].

He has developed a small dongle that converts the high line to low line signal so that the older Audi's tech can read the new signals from the new wheel."

·
Registered
403 Posts
SwissJetPilot said:
There's an Audi TT guru named "ReTTro fit" who is a wizard at these sorts of modifications. I've sent him a PM to see if he's willing to help support this project.
hei bye, did he then answer you rectro fit?

I have also completed the modification of the mirror that lowers in reverse, now all that remains is to create this mod of the buttons on the steering wheel

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Roadster
11,534 Posts
No, haven't heard from him. I believe he's still active, but more in the Mk3 forum these days. Perhaps he's on holiday..??

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
A ordinary Start button will also work. You just need to remove terminal 50 or 55 (I'm very poor memorizing numbers) AKA starter switch from the ingition key switch.

·
Registered
403 Posts
hello guys, I'll bring you some updates regarding the upgrade to my steering wheel; 1) finally I was able to find a very good upholsterer who redid the seams from yellow to ice using the original leather and then without changing it, the steering wheel came exactly as it was original 2) I managed after several attempts to start the engine through button on the steering wheel, the function is very basic but it suits me just fine: you have to turn on the ignition with the key, you can start the engine either with the key as per original or by pressing the button and then you have to turn off the engine with the key; if you want to do everything with the button, you have to add the very low cost Keyless kit but you would lose some functions such as the power steering and the possibility of opening / closing the car via remote control and therefore also the windows; I wanted the satellite buttons on the steering wheel more for aesthetics but I would never have mounted them if they did not work so for me it is more than excellent; I haven't tried the black drive select button yet, but I shouldn't have any problems connecting it to the Sport button and the esp button; in this way by pressing that button I would have the car in total sport (at the same time it deactivates esp and the sport function is active) if, on the other hand, I want to manage them individually, I can do it easily from the original buttons

in the photo you can see the steering wheel which now has the stitching of the correct color

at the following link a small draft of the start engine operation

Attachments

41 - 60 of 76 Posts