Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade the standard bose head unit. The car has a 6 CD changer but to be honest I really want to hook in my iPhone. I have seen the Parrot RKi8400 Car Stereo made for the iPhone - it looks really interesting but I have two major concerns: firstly, will the rear speakers work as I'm pretty sure they operate via a bose amp (Halfords can fit the unit with the aid of some additional parts which probably plug into this but people opinions would be well received); secondly - I really care about sound quality and as such having an iPhone compatible stereo is one thing but if it sounds like a hairdryer, well that's just not worth it.

A would appreciate feedback from anyone with experience of the Parrot head unit and/or anyone that can recommend a good head unit that gives excellent sound quality with the oem system - I'm really do not want to start playing around with sub-woofers, after-market amps or anything with blue flashing bits.

Cheers folks

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
personally i would just go for something from Alpine thats ipod friendly and more importantly design and build decent head units rather than something manufactured by a handsfree company, i'll be in a similar situation soon but if you have a quick search you will find most seem to go for the alpine.

Have a look at www.caraudiodirect.com

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in agreement - buying a stereo from a hands-free company is a gamble. That said apple's first phone was pretty successful. I'm veering towards an Alpine unit as these seem very popular and I will no doubt end up changing my phone at some point.

Thanks for the pointers, I'm off to look at car audio direct - cheers

G

·
A number of members, including me have ditched the CD scrap metal altogether and fitted Alpine digital media receivers which are designed to operate the iPod. My intention was to ditch the iPod completely and just use a USB memory stick. I'm very happy I went down that route to be honest. The sound quality is fine and there are plenty of threads on carrying out the process.

Doug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.