Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to put new headlights in on my 01 Audi TT Quattro but I can barley find any that are OEM HID. Is there a way to convert them from OEM HID to Halogen or is there a site to purchase the OEM HID headlights from???

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
For the same year, Halogen & HID headlights are a straight swap.
Very early HID & Halogen had a 12-pin connector, later HID & Halogen had a 10-pin connector.

If you need to put later 10-pin headlights on an early 12-pin car, you simply replace the 12-pin connector on the car with a new 10-pin connector.

The changeover was mid 1999 model year.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the same year, Halogen & HID headlights are a straight swap.
Very early HID & Halogen had a 12-pin connector, later HID & Halogen had a 10-pin connector.

If you need to put later 10-pin headlights on an early 12-pin car, you simply replace the 12-pin connector on the car with a new 10-pin connector.

The changeover was mid 1999 model year.
So i can purchase the regular ones? Any time I look at them on Amazon or other sites it says they dont fit.

ill see what connector it is. how would I go about replacing the 12-pin connector to the 10-pin?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Keep in mind the housing and lens for Halogen and HID are the same, if your HID reflectors/projectors are in good nick all the internals can be swapped to a new halogen housing. The housing has both sets of screw holes for either reflector and provision for ballast (would need a hole cut but the hole is marked on the halogen housing). Did this recently (though also used new HID kit from Retrofitlabs), as you said only Halogen OE available new at good price. It does take patience and a few/more hours to split the headlights and complete the job but well worth it! New lights make a huge difference to the front end, looks amazing. You could swap the wiring harness to get around 10/12 pin issues as well :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i just verified today. I do have the 10 pin connector. Would i need to do a flash on the CPU for it to take the non stock HID or anything????

1 - 12 of 12 Posts