Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried to take reasonable care of the paintwork on the TT, using most of the products recommended by JIAB and with some additional input from Janitor. Splashed out on Swissvax BoS wax but went cheap 'n' cheerful on Baby bath and Tescos loo brush.

The collection of stone chips on the front is inevitable but after a quick wash yesterday I was a bit shocked at just how many there are now all over the front and most noticeably on the leading part of the bonnet.

There's one or two largish ones which I've tried to touch in with the Audi touch up kit but there are also many, many very small chips. They look like white pin pricks in the black paint.

Anyone have any good tips on how to treat them?? I'm wary of trying to touch up the small ones in case I change it from looking like a spotty yoof to looking like a spotty yoof with sticking plasters.

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,940 Posts
I have the same in the long run before the summer I will have the bonnet resprayed as I think due to the shape of the car stone chips will be quite the norm unfortunately

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
i bought the kit from the dealer and have to say it done a great job - only had 2 chips that worried me and good as gone now - Think it was £6 and includes the Laqure and paint

doc

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Rough luck Brian, but as you say, it is inevitable :(

The pin prick ones can be 'dotted in' using a cocktail stick for a fine point. Also, Halfrauds used to do sticks that had a fine tipped 'pen' which works well too. That gets a little bit exactly where needed as opposed to a big brush blob covering everything [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
As pointed out coctail sticks are good.
we used to have small kids paint brushes, and trim the length so it's quite stiff, and the width to suit the size of the chips.

·
Registered
11,940 Posts
I thought of that and covering the whole front of the car including wings as there will be no visible lines then as it finishes on the natural points

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
robokn said:
I thought of that and covering the whole front of the car including wings as there will be no visible lines then as it finishes on the natural points
Cost you a bomb! Unless you DIY and then you may bugger it.

·
Registered
823 Posts
£530 to get the front bumper, front of wings, front of bonnet, sills and wing mirrors covered!

No stone chips...money well spent. 8)

BTW you'll struggle to get the bonnet covered by a single piece of film, most firms don't make it wide enough.

·
Registered
11,940 Posts
sico said:
robokn said:
Unless you DIY and then you may bugger it.
Just 'cause I was in the Navy no need for that sort of comment young man :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Stonechips are inevitable although I've been lucky to date. Was wondering though, how much would Audi charge to respray bonnet? Also would the 'perforation' warranty be void if I had a reputable paintshop do the respray? No doubt they would be far cheaper than Audi.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I am not a tailgater at all, but driving behind bigger and higher cars, grit lorries and lots of progress on country roads has also left my phantom black looking like it has been attacked with a machine gun (21K miles) - I am seriously pondering a respray but don't want it to look naff or "resprayed". Worse areas are lower bumper and front sill (looks like white icing dust everywhere!) and about 5 fairly big chips on the front bonnet - and a dent where a brick hit it!! :x :cry:

Anyone got thoughts on full respray? Vic - I think mine is beyond touch up pens or chips attention - I'm not overly bothered in the useless weather but I know in summer it will bug me. :(

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nah, don't do tailgating. I hate that when other drivers do it to me so it's a bad habit I don't have.

"White icing dust" - good description LoTTie, and that's what mine looks like too.

Ta for replies everyone - I'm going to give the lower part of the spoiler a seeing to with the touch up pen and cocktail stick/tiny brush jobbies tomorrow. A follow up with Sonus scratch remover should level the surface a bit ready for final polish/seal and wax. Hopefully I can get the technique reasonable before attacking the bonnet. I really don't want to go down the road of having it resprayed.

Ages ago there was a number of threads about protective films and I thought then that it was something that I didn't want on my car. Its too late now for this one but maybe worth more consideration for the next.

Then again, there's always one of those car bra thingumies . . . . .

·
Registered
878 Posts
VicTT said:
Nah, don't do tailgating. I hate that when other drivers do it to me so it's a bad habit I don't have.

"White icing dust" - good description LoTTie, and that's what mine looks like too.

Ta for replies everyone - I'm going to give the lower part of the spoiler a seeing to with the touch up pen and cocktail stick/tiny brush jobbies tomorrow. A follow up with Sonus scratch remover should level the surface a bit ready for final polish/seal and wax. Hopefully I can get the technique reasonable before attacking the bonnet. I really don't want to go down the road of having it resprayed.

Ages ago there was a number of threads about protective films and I thought then that it was something that I didn't want on my car. Its too late now for this one but maybe worth more consideration for the next.

Then again, there's always one of those car bra thingumies . . . . .
I can concur that the cocktail stick method of application is best. I have found that the secret is not to be in a hurry and try and fill the "chips" all in one go - just take your time. Sometimes it is difficult to see where you've painted so I usually stick a small piece of masking tape close to the chip so that I can come back later to flat it/apply laquer, etc;

·
Registered
112 Posts
Does anyone find that the tyres kick up stones onto the body? ie. behind the wheels, and along the sides behind the front tyres along the base of the doors? I had this on my last car, was thinking of getting film there too.

p.s. i really really hate mentioning this if it results in people finding new pock marks they didn't look for before. sorrry!!! :oops:

·
Registered
125 Posts
englandfan said:
Does anyone find that the tyres kick up stones onto the body? ie. behind the wheels, and along the sides behind the front tyres along the base of the doors?
Has anyone fitted mud flaps to stop this? If so how do they look? I normally avoid them but if they save the problem might be worth thinking about as long as they look ok

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.