Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
My 08 soft top 3.2 started (on Sunday) to make some strange noises when going round sharp(ish) roundabouts / corners - sort of like plastic trim rubbing and occasionally like rubber squeaking. I am talking about normal conrnering here, some gas, but not gunning it.
Any thoughts what could be causing this - I've had a look and can't see anything obvious and checked the tyre pressures - the wheels / tyres are 255-35-19 and are 35 at front / 31 rear. Don't think this is the problem?? but any ideas what they should actually be as the hand book / insert on car doesn't have this size!!??
Thanks for any feedback.
Cheers,

Andrew.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Tyres should be 32/26, so yours are high, but that shouldn't cause a rubbing problem.

Are the wheels OEM or after market. I they are afer market, check the width and offset. Original Audi 19" wheels for the TT are 9" wide with an ET, or offset, of 52. Any difference in offset of more than 10 either way could be the cause of your noise.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys. Nothing in boot and noise deffo not from there (he says confidently with all his techno / mechanical no-skills!!)Has never happened before, even under hard cornering etc and seems to have mostly gone away.
Will let a bit of air out - the numbers did seem a bit high tbh.
Wheels are 7 spoke Audi ones - will keep an"ear" out and see if it goes away.
Cheers,

Andrew.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I also get a strange noise when turning sharply to the right (not left) in my TTS.

Very difficult noise to describe but definately a sort of grinding/rubbing noise coming from the front end.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
MrNPG said:
I also get a strange noise when turning sharply to the right (not left) in my TTS.

Very difficult noise to describe but definately a sort of grinding/rubbing noise coming from the front end.
That's very likely to be unrelated to the OP's issue and more likely the well-known steering rack fault which plagues many VAG cars across the range, normally resolved by replacing under warranty.

·
Registered
150 Posts
powerplay said:
MrNPG said:

That's very likely to be unrelated to the OP's issue and more likely the well-known steering rack fault which plagues many VAG cars across the range, normally resolved by replacing under warranty.
Hmmm sounds ominous, I best get it checked out. It's out of the Audi warranty but I did get a six month "third party" warranty from the dealer when I bought the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts