Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decent sound returns and and proper bluetooth hands free with a real microphone on a MK1
This post is relevant If you have/had the Chorus or Concerts Rear Amplified Radio

My Y REG (2001) Black on Black 225 has gone through a number of radio changes since I got it last year.
This includes putting in a cheap Chinese stereo from Amazon with an integral microphone - waste of time.
I realised that to do it properly, I needed:

A) A decent radio unit
B) A radio unit that was not too deep as there is not a lot of room behind the radio
C) A radio with a thin knob so that it doesn't get pressed when closing the radio flap
D) A radio unit that took an external microphone that I could wire around to the top internal door surround, so it was as near as possible to my face (my car is not quiet)
E) To replace the front 4 ohm 16cm door speakers as they were buzzing and warping due to degraded and torn cones

I bought:
Kenwood KMMBT206 Mechless Bluetooth Handsfree
Media player Vehicle Home appliance Audio equipment Font

Rectangle Font Electronic device Technology Circle

Which has an external microphone and a nice red glow that matches the internal instruments of the TT.
It is also shallow and has a USB port for Audio and charging.

Sony XS-FB1620E 16cm (6.5”) 2-Way Speakers, black
Car subwoofer Camera accessory Automotive tire Output device Audio equipment

Grills not needed.

Car Stereo Upgrade Fitting Kit Audio System fit AUDI TT 8N 98-06 MK1
Font Cable Auto part Musical instrument accessory Automotive lighting

The essential bit of this kit are the Booster Aerial (essential) and the Removal Keys.
The rear Bose Wiring Harness is good as it stops you having to cut wires on the original car's wiring (although you will have to cut wires coming from this harness and splice in the Kenwood wires) and the Single Din Fascia Panel is nice to tidy up the front after install but I found black tape to be just as good.

Here are the important wiring diagrams you will need, with my notes:
This is the back of the old radio so mirror when looking at the connectors
Rectangle Schematic Font Parallel Engineering

Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Number

On this Kenwood the rear speakers come from the Audio LineOut sockets not the Din connector as you do not want powered output for the rear.
You will almost certainly need to reverse the red and yellow (as suggested above). You will know if you do if your radio forgets all settings when you turn the ignition off.

One you have it working you will want to replace your front 16cm speakers as the original ones will be old and worn out. Mine sounded distorted and buzzy due to the cones having ripped away.

Removing the door trim
I followed this guide: Waks Wide Web
It was easy. But I found that I did not need the thin rod to loosen a spring mentioned, and that I could just twist the alloy dimpled disc at the base of the door handle by hand and pop it off.

Changing the 16cm speakers
The tiny tweeters can stay as they are.
I followed this video:
and reused the front of the old speaker surrounds to secure the new Sony's. It also raises the speaker so that the new inbuilt tweeter does not interfere.
The speakers came with spade cable connectors so no soldering was required. Just cut the old speaker plug, strip the wires and join to the new cables using conblock or wago connectors.
Also, rather than small bolts I used small self tap screws and hot glue to secure the front surround from the old speaker to the new speaker.

I'm really pleased with the result. I now have really decent sound and proper bluetooth hands free

·
Registered
164 Posts
Great job,,,
nice head unit,,,
I was lucky,,mine came with an Alpine with Bluetooth and I tunes that plays without a lightning lead but the unit has a aux input but the Bluetooth music streaming is flawless in comparison to the same effect from our dd Golf R ,where the music streaming stops for a second,,,unit lighting changes colour also,,
one of the future jobs is to replace the speakers although the standard speaker’s sounds ok,,
I try to have Alpine speakers fitted to match the unit

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Yes great post. I'm about to do the same, so does the original seperate tweeter become redundant? And how do you acertain which of the two speaker wires are positive or negative? And dies the door foam foil come away easily without damage ?

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes great post. I'm about to do the same, so does the original seperate tweeter become redundant? And how do you acertain which of the two speaker wires are positive or negative? And dies the door foam foil come away easily without damage ?
Good questions

does the original separate tweeter become redundant?
No it stays in-line. Not sure it adds much but it wasn't broken so I left it

And how do you ascertain which of the two speaker wires are positive or negative?
Can't remember but is was obvious when you looked at the old unit

does the door foam foil come away easily without damage ?
You have to peel it carefully. A hair-dryer may help
having said that someone had already cut mine with a stanley knife so when putting back I added duct tape.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Fitted the Sony front speakers today. Pretty straightforward, other than the old speakers were not marked + or -. So I elected to the connect the black tracer wire to the earth.
I took my time doing it, but I was pretty gutted to see my original speakers were still intact. So now the new speakers are in, there is very little improvement in the sound quality.

I don't have high expectations, but my lads got a 2010 Ka, and I would be happy with that quality. But still missed that target with the end result.
The Audi speaker connectors are numbered 1 & 2. Would anyone know for sure which of the two is the negative.?

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Because mine were shredded to pieces I noticed a considerable difference. Previously there was an obvious buzzing and distortion at high volumes which I got rid of.
What colour are your speaker wires.

If they’re the same colour but one has a black line down it then the one with the black line is negative. If they’re different colours then the black one is negative.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just found an internet post that says in Audi speaker Pin 1 tends to be the negative
and in this post they had different colours in different doors:

blue/white wire is negative
black is positive

Green / Black wire is negative
Green is positive

Odd color coding indeed.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
That's a massive help if it's accurate, which would mean I have it wrong. On that basis the solid colour (black in my case) is positive. Good job it's such a hugely simple job to take the door cards off again to change.

And gives hope, as when I fitted one, with the original still fitted in the other side, I thought it sounded better, then dissapointment when both fitted. Thanks Jjoe

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Found a post on here that the black is negative and the green and black positive. I will take these out again Friday and recheck both sides back to the join to the factory wires. I'm sure there's something wrong as sounds good with just one speaker connected.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Well fitted a new drivers door lock today as fed up with micro switch replacement. 26 quid on the bay and seems very good quality. So while there I check ed the wiring on the speakers. Used this vid,.
This was also inconclusive as when tested on both leads both outputs were negative :unsure:

Anyway confirmed the black wires both sides were connected as negative and left it at that.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Times past and not been able to enjoy the TT lately. But there is definitely something amiss on the on the replacement speaker polarity.
I'm posting again in the hope someone knows which of the main front speaker wires are positive. I've tried and tested as per you tube which is in conclusive at best.
Anybody cast any light non Bose coupe

·
Premium Member
3,021 Posts
Times past and not been able to enjoy the TT lately. But there is definitely something amiss on the on the replacement speaker polarity.
I'm posting again in the hope someone knows which of the main front speaker wires are positive. I've tried and tested as per you tube which is in conclusive at best.
Anybody cast any light non Bose coupe
With the speaker wires unconnected to the speaker, you could use a meter, on ohms or continuity. Connect one end of the meter to a good ground (metal, bolt etc), the other end to each speaker wire. One of them, the negative, will show short, the other, the positive, will show open circuit.
Mac

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Thanks Mac. I checked and both were wired correctly. Yet the sound was dire unless I faded just tonight or left.
My son fed up with my moaning took charge, and ten mins later the sound is Soo much better. Almost average!
Apparently he reset the settings and changed all the options to his ear.
And it's worked!
Gotta love a happy ending.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts