Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
evening,
I'm having a problem with the temperature gauge.
I've started to notice that the temp gauge would rise above 90 when stopped after driving in flowing traffic. Start off again and the temperature will drop back to 90.
Changed the thermostat (Quality part NOT from e-Bay)
Change temp sensor (From Audi)
Changed a faulty radiator fan which I thought was the problem (larger one from Euro Parts)

I have noticed a small (size 10p) amount of coolant underneath the TT but can see from where it's coming from.
Question: Could the moving temperature gauge be down to a failing water pump or do these just fail and overheat?
Could it be due to a faulty temperature gauge?
It should reside at 90 and once did when at normal operating temperature so any ideas/advise as to why this is happening.
Thanks as always.

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
96,589 Posts
Hi Ricardo, Temp rising when stationary is normal if aircon is not on, until fans cut-in at 103 ish & then temp should reduce.
With no air flow through rad when stationary temps will rise, can't see any prob.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
31,647 Posts
Your fans will kick in at 102/3 so I don't think you have a problem to be honest, temps will go up when stuck in traffic.

Do you use your aircon, if you do thats prob explains the water on the floor under the engine again not a problem.

Keep an eye on your coolant just in case.

·
Registered
31,647 Posts
Knew I should have posted after one line numbnutz beat me.

BUT He hasn't touched on the water under the car sooooo incomplete answer I WIN :lol:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Temperature problem...

Thanks as always Hoggy,
I don't tend to use the A/C so will give that a try,
so to confirm if the A/C is on the temp shouldn't rise above 90 when stationary or driving?
I need to find where the small amount of coolant is coming from as clearly it shouldn't be leaking…
In your experience do water pumps start to leak/fail slowly or do they just stop working and fail causing the car to overheat?
Great forum, many thanks

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
96,589 Posts
jamman said:
Knew I should have posted after one line numbnutz beat me.

BUT He hasn't touched on the water under the car sooooo incomplete answer I WIN :lol:
Hi, Just too slow.. :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

·
Administrator
96,589 Posts
Hi Ricardo, As james says water under car could be aircon, but as you don't use it.
Water pump impellors disintegrating is the usual fail & that causes probs at speed not at idle.
Do the temps start to fall when/if fans cut-in.
Have you used code 49c on climate control to monitor actual temp.Gauge will read 90 anywhere between 82 & 98 ish.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sat on M25 today and temp went up to around 100+ not in to the red though, and didn't fall until I started moving so maybe the fans didn't kick in or did they... :?
Something's not right...
Haven't used the codes, so will give that a try, thanks both of you.....

·
Administrator
96,589 Posts
Hi Ricardo, Did a check on my TT the other day just to see, because of all the posts, & fans cut-in @ 104 on CC, temps dropped as they should & 104 is not overheating.
Edit... left CC off until Liquid indicated 100 ish, so fan not running.

·
Administrator
96,589 Posts
Hi Ricardo, Fans should cut-in at 104 ish whether aircon off or on, its just if aircon is on a fan will be running so temp increase will be slower & may not reach 104 ish.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.