Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TT suffered from the dreaded microswitch problem - including the alarm stuck permanently on - but I didn't have the time right at this moment to take the lock out and make up a replacement switch. As a temporary measure I therefore rigged up a simple toggle switch conveniently located at the quarter light and wired to two piggy-back connectors on the two wires to the microswitch, all done insitu. Now all I have to do is flick the switch when I open or close the door (it doesn't have to be simultaneous with the door closing). Good enough until I get round to replacing the microswitch.

However, this got me to thinking. All it needs is a simple bell push type switch which could be mounted either through the door frame metal or the door card to strike the car body somewhere - very much like the old courtesy light switch except fully isolated. Then its just a case of wiring it up in parallel with the two microswitch wires - no need to touch the lock. :D

I haven't come across any suitable switches yet, but maybe a forum contributor in the trade will know exactly what is needed.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Wouldnt it just be easier to replace the microswitch or attempt a repair of the module as discussed in various threads on here?
Failing that just go to a scrappie and buy your suggested door switch and do as you think best.

Personally i would want to keep the car OEM ( or OEM+ for you Damien :D )...

Brian

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tritium said:
Wouldnt it just be easier to replace the microswitch or attempt a repair of the module as discussed in various threads on here?

Brian
"Attempt" being the operative word, from the many and varied installations catalogued in this forum. This switch must be the most talked about bit of plastic in the whole Audi forum. 'Vorsprung durch technik' indeed.

.... and I ain't paying £100 for a micro-switch!!

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
GunnerGibson said:
The parts to fix the micro switch cost around £5.
Exactly Gunner, thankyou. Why would anyone one want to devise an alternative that involve the hardship of making that reliably, plus installation design and integrating it? Why make this out to be difficuilt mate - its not!
As I said just repair OR replace the switch :roll:

Brian

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
quote= "Why would anyone one want to devise an alternative that involve the hardship of making that reliably, plus installation design and integrating it?"(sic)

Now let me see ....

You want to fit an off-the-shelf microswitch (after having managed to extricate a hidden door lock) which is not the right size and is not adjustable after gluing and/or drilling the lock and bolting it (no hardship there then), then wriggle the whole thing back into place and cross your fingers that it stays glued for years despite regular beatings? Or alternatively spend £120 on a new OEM one?

Then someone comes along and, to contribute to the very lengthy discussion, suggests thinking sideways by fitting a simple 'courtesy light' switch, and all you can do is bitch?

Sad, very sad. :x

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I'm certainly not bitching- just stating a fact, that the repair costs less than you think, and is not overly complicated.

Yes I agree with you, the OEM design is poor.. There are numerous things you should check whilst searching for window drop and the none display of the door opening on the DIS.

1) split wire in rubber sheath ( door - car loom )
2) micro switch
3) door lock ( contains 4 additional micro switches )
4) Central Locking ECU located in boot area.

The micro switch Mod is adjustable, and is a great fix. Those that have the fix installed have had no issues as yet.

Does your alarm work now?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GunnerGibson said:
I'm certainly not bitching- just stating a fact, that the repair costs less than you think, and is not overly complicated.

Yes I agree with you, the OEM design is poor.. There are numerous things you should check whilst searching for window drop and the none display of the door opening on the DIS.

1) split wire in rubber sheath ( door - car loom )
2) micro switch
3) door lock ( contains 4 additional micro switches )
4) Central Locking ECU located in boot area.

The micro switch Mod is adjustable, and is a great fix. Those that have the fix installed have had no issues as yet.

Does your alarm work now?
If something is awkward to repair, I try to work out an easier way. It was the microswitch; its fixed, and everything plus the alarm now works - except the fob remote!

You mention that the central locking ECU is in the boot. I took the car to my local Audi garage and they said that the fob remote problem was no reception in the dash cluster. Strange place for that, I thought, particularly as the cluster works perfectly. As I have not yet got into the electrical innards of this car, is the remote 'receiver' and the central locking function combined, ie, in the boot ECU, or is it really part of the cluster?

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
sliver_bullet said:
Now let me see ....

You want to fit an off-the-shelf microswitch (after having managed to extricate a hidden door lock) which is not the right size and is not adjustable after gluing and/or drilling the lock and bolting it (no hardship there then), then wriggle the whole thing back into place and cross your fingers that it stays glued for years despite regular beatings? Or alternatively spend £120 on a new OEM one?

Then someone comes along and, to contribute to the very lengthy discussion, suggests thinking sideways by fitting a simple 'courtesy light' switch, and all you can do is bitch?

Sad, very sad. :x
Now, now, you clearly are a sensitive one buddy. Try and chill and take it easy when you ask a question and don't get the answer you want.
I fail to see how my or other comments could be regarded as sad; pot, kettle, black, methinks.

In my first post I said do what you wish or repair / replace the current unit. The later, to my mind is the most appropriate. Yes, you right and many here agree the micro-switch is poor.
However:
1. Have a think to when or if you sell the car and the buyer asks what you did. - Will it inspire confidence?
2. Are your insurance company happy with this non standard solution you suggest? Will it null and void a claim?

In no way am I suggesting your lateral thinking is foolish etc. - I just regard the OEM solution most appropriate. As do, I might add, many who posted prior to you joining the forum.

Some people :roll:

Brian

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.