Audi TT Forum banner

The latest problem - odd noise / loud rattle

281 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  tony_rigby_uk 
#1 ·
Difficult to describe so I've filmed a video of it.

Only happens under acceleration, stops when the revs drop, doesnt make the noise when stationary and revved.

Feels like there's some feedback through the steering wheel but I'm not sure if that's just in my mind.

No smoke coming from the engine. Power seems down but that could be unrelated, I've been chasing consistent boost since I brought the car :roll:

When I got back from 10 mins or so of spirited driving (but mainly acceleration, certainly not heavy on the brakes) both front wheels were very hot, hot to the touch and steamed when I started to wash the car! Not sure if thats normal for a tt but it's not something ive come across before!

Here's the vid anyway, I'm going to take the charge pipe off tomorrow and wiggle the turbo (was obviously a tad hot tonight!) and try to plug it into vagcom lite to see if that throws up anything.

See less See more
#4 ·
Hoggy it was the wheels that were steaming not just the discs. I didn't realise they would be hot and it deserved a wash for fixing itself with the oil pressure problem!

Sounds less mechanical engine knocking /certainly doesn't sound like something metallic.

Raspy kind of noise, Bit like the old Wooden football rattle things!

Im thinking it's either turbo related (only on acceleration, stops when you change gear etc and revs drop) but would this much noise be accompanied by lots of smoke and would it not also make the noise if revved whilst stationary?

Perhaps a faulty dv constantly fluttering?

My other thought was it might be something to do with the traction control? Would a fault in that be applying the brakes on and off (it does sound a little like abs noise) hence the hot wheels?

#7 ·
Cheers guys, I'm aware of the normal causes of hot wheels (and heat transfer from the brakes), it did alarm me that the brakes had gotten so warm after a relatively short run.

The fact that they were so warm that they had transferred lots of heat to the wheel was surprising and I was wondering if I was indicative of an issue with the traction control perhaps gently applying the brakes on and off in an abs fashion? Unlikely I know but I thought I'd chuck it into the mix :mrgreen:

#8 ·
Ok so I've done a little more digging, can't get my vcds lite to work thought :x

The noise is replicated when stationary and is a bit of a clattery kind of noise appears around 2k rpm. Very difficult to tell where it's coming from though, perhaps atop end perhaps behind the engine :?

#9 ·
I'm guessing that you've bent a conrod there mate... :? could be a spun shell.. but deffo something that needs stripping before anymore damage is done !!!

(Although i had a coil pack explode, and it sounded and i belived it was a rod... put in a spare coil, as the one that had blown was brown...) and it was all good...

can't tell with sound on vids.. they all sound knockyon vid mics in the engine bay.. it's never a true sound.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.