Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like a lot of TT owners on here I have had the problem with brakes that squeal like a London cab. I remember someone posting on here saying that they had taken their TT with squeaky brakes to the dealer who had said they were caused by heat spots.

So - I popped into a dealer in North London and said I wasn't happy about the brake squeal. He said it was probably due to the brakes getting a glaze on them due to the car not being driven hard enough. A simple deglaze would cure the problem. :roll:

I then mentioned to him that I had heard of someone who had a similar problem and the diagnosis was heat spots. His response? Any car that develops heat spots on the discs is probably being abused and is seeing track action.

:lol:

I had a dealer get a bit ambitious with the de-glazing bit and the result is the n/s/r pad is now leaving a one inch mark round the centre of the disc where the pad isn't making contact and of course that annoying squeal is back :roll:

Has anyone managed to get the squealing/squeaky brake problem resolved yet? This is going to get so annoying come summertime when the roof's down.

·
Registered
69 Posts
you should see my rotors....no glazing, but major grooves in them with only 3900 miles.

I'll post a pic whenever I get it back from the dealer.

·
Registered
11,940 Posts
I had mine de glazed and it seems to have worked so far...

·
Registered
944 Posts
mine are doing it without even applying the brakes, when i drive in my work underground carpark all I can hear is "squeek, squeek, squeek" echoing off all the walls....

Adjustment needed? can't really be arsed driving to the stealer to ask them to sort it....

·
Registered
31,059 Posts
Mine do it, I just jet wash the calipers, its just a build up of dust.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Tosh the all knowing being :lol:

It's normally down to vibration, when i was on the tools it was merely a question of copper slipping the back plates, failing that you either need to shim the pads or chamfer the leading edges in the case of really hard composite.(I still maintain this is BS tho)

·
Registered
944 Posts
digimeisTTer said:

It's normally down to vibration, when i was on the tools it was merely a question of copper slipping the back plates, failing that you either need to shim the pads or chamfer the leading edges in the case of really hard composite.(I still maintain this is BS tho)
Can I do all that with one of my wifes nail files and some fishing line?

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
scottk said:
digimeisTTer said:

Can I do all that with one of my wifes nail files and some fishing line?
Prolly not but i can de-glace a frying pan - not sure how you do discs :wink: :p

·
Registered
31,059 Posts
The dealer told me to do it. Due to the soft pads used by Audi.
It works.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I was at my dealer earlier on in the week & they mentioned glazing but as it had stopped just before I arrived (it comes & goes) "their engineer needs to hear it when it actually happens!?"

I'lll try the Tosh jet wash solution next!!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
It was me pal with the heat spots.

It was Leeds Audi - Andy Lambert, who told me that.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Car being dropped back - they've replaced the rear discs and pads under warranty and are confident that this will solve the problem.

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
203 Posts
shamster said:
Car being dropped back - they've replaced the rear discs and pads under warranty and are confident that this will solve the problem.

Fingers crossed.
Did the garage have to "witness the squeal?" My dealer is dragging their feet about resolution!?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
digimeisTTer said:
Prolly not but i can de-glace a frying pan - not sure how you do discs :wink: :p
Same way, when the brakes are real hot, just toss a nice white wine, some stock or even brandy. When using the latter, burn off the alcohol in a nice flambé...reduce by half...and voilà ! Déglacé brakes. :lol:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
chilliman said:
shamster said:

Fingers crossed.
Did the garage have to "witness the squeal?" My dealer is dragging their feet about resolution!?
No because it was a complaint from a prevous visit - plus they are fully aware of the brake squeal issue anyway. However, on previous trips to the dealer (I've used one up north and one in London) on both occasions they have said that they want their own technician to go out in the car and 'confirm' the problem.

For that read:

1. They want to make sure you're not making it up or
2. They want to take up more of your time while you go out in the car with them for 1/2 an hour. :roll:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Toshiba said:
Mine too, and it seems to be mainly when the car has been driven alot in dry weather. Tosh could be right (again) because the brakes don't squeal when I've driven the car in the rain.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Singletrack said:
digimeisTTer said:
Same way, when the brakes are real hot, just toss a nice white wine, some stock or even brandy. When using the latter, burn off the alcohol in a nice flambé...reduce by half...and voilà ! Déglacé brakes. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
shamster said:
So - I popped into a dealer in North London and said I wasn't happy about the brake squeal. He said it was probably due to the brakes getting a glaze on them due to the car not being driven hard enough. A simple deglaze would cure the problem. :roll:
Dont have this, guess I am driving too hard! :lol:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
My squeak has gone. dealer replaced pads on front. squeak came back after a week. then went again.

at the moment i am mostly in a non-squeaky tt. :roll:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Toshiba said:
Just the outside of the calipers? or if you need to jetwash the capilers completely, how do you get at the part towards inside the car (ie the side behind the disc?)

Personally, I recon that's a crock of you-know-what... it's the dealer saying "stop wasting my time".

C

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.