Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks
Age doesn't come on it's own & the brain cells are failing me by the day :?
Engine oil for a 2009 2.0T FWD....
I seem to remember I used Mobil One 0W-40 in the old 1.8T, but there are a bizillion different Mobil One's these days & I don't want to f-up the AVS conditions....
What do you use on yours?
Jof

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
There will be a correct engine specification oil for your car. It will be something like VAG 505.1 or 501.3 or something like that. It will definitely say in the manual and there are stickers inside the drivers door on mine as well.

You then need to pick the oil from the range that you prefer (bear in mind that dealerships use the appropriate VAG branded Quantum oil) and off you go.

From memory you need VW 504.00 5W30 which would be http://www.mobil.co.uk/uk-english/lcw/p ... _1_esp.asp

·
Registered
665 Posts
The correct oil for the 2.0TFSI is Castrol Edge 5W-30. It will say 'suitable for VW/Audi TFSI engines' on the front of the bottle and something about fighting 'TFSI valve deposits' on the back.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks folks
jof

·
Registered
133 Posts
MINI-TTGuy said:
The correct oil for the 2.0TFSI is Castrol Edge 5W-30. It will say 'suitable for VW/Audi TFSI engines' on the front of the bottle and something about fighting 'TFSI valve deposits' on the back.
My audi dealer use Shell oil, anyone else have the same experience?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
There is no correct oil. There are countless oil's approved by Audi for the 2.0TFSI and made by most of the worlds oil manufacturers.
The appropriate Audi TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) is here: http://www.********.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=166917&p=1699425&hilit=oil#p1699425

With the inherent coking of the FSI design a FULL synthetic high detergent oil is best.
Normal Mobil 1 is not a FULL synthetic as it uses Group III base stock...
Group III base stock is not technically synthetic... it's actually the highest level of refinement for mineral base stock with very high PAO (Poly-Alpha-Olephin) content. If ypu must go with Mobil 1 make sure it is SuperSyn.

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
97,178 Posts
Hi, Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 is one of the correct spec oils in UK, 504/507 & according to spec in UK is a fully synthetic oil.
In UK Mobil 1 Super Syn is not listed as correct spec of 504/507. its 502/505. Not saying it would do any harm, but its not the correct spec, Audi recommend.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Hi Hoggy,
Afraid that only Mobil 1 labelled as Super Syn is a real synthetic worldwide.
They are able to do this due to legal action in the States a decade or so ago that allowed certain type of mineral oils to be called "synthetic"
This edited article by respected John Rowland, Silkolene/Fuchs Chief R & D Chemist for over 40 years might help.

VAG does not differentiate between engines in its approvals however given the FSI's propensity to coke(as recognised and partially addressed in the FSI patent) it makes sense to use a fully synthetic high detergent oil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.