Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Had my TT for just over 2 weeks now and just coming to the end of the second tank of petrol. The first full fill worked its way down on the fuel gauge at the same rate as DIS but when I filled up the second tank the needle went way over the full point. As the fuel has worked its way down on the second fill, DIS has said 40 miles remaining yet the gauge say well over quarter a tank.

From what I have read it sounds like a Dashpod issue but the this was changed just before I collected the car.

I'm filling up again tomorrow so will see what happens but has anyone got any ideas pls?

thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Tokes said:
Hi all.

Had my TT for just over 2 weeks now and just coming to the end of the second tank of petrol. The first full fill worked its way down on the fuel gauge at the same rate as DIS but when I filled up the second tank the needle went way over the full point. As the fuel has worked its way down on the second fill, DIS has said 40 miles remaining yet the gauge say well over quarter a tank.

From what I have read it sounds like a Dashpod issue but the this was changed just before I collected the car.

I'm filling up again tomorrow so will see what happens but has anyone got any ideas pls?

thanks.
when i bought mine i had a similar issue....did this and its been fine ever since
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
marknjayne said:
when i bought mine i had a similar issue....did this and its been fine ever since
:eek:
Thanks but no way I could do this. No mechanical skills whatsoever. The car has warranty so looks like I will be making a call to get it sorted with the trader.
Guess I better listen to DIS for now and fill up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
846 Posts
Mine is kinda similar to this except my petrol light comes on at quarter tank when it says range of 30 miles... i thought this was a fault so i carried on driving thinking nothing of it... 30 odd miles later my engine cut out... yet my needle was only just about to touch the red!! its obviously not as bad on mine but think its the same problem?? at least my electronic range is accurate though i guess !!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,711 Posts
Use your trip meter as the real guide, and the fuel gauge/DIS display as an indicator. Fill up, reset your trip meter. Drive it like you stole it until you run out of fuel (did I mention putting a 5ltr jerry can - full of petrol :roll: - in the boot?) and note how many miles you did. This number is now your guide.

Drive normally and, when you get close to this number, go fill up - remembering to reset your trip meter every time. Works a treat. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,044 Posts
Excellent advice from Mondo.
Or if you don't have a spare 5L in the boot you should be achieving around 350 miles to a tank = 29mpg.

As per Mondo, reset the trip counter after the next fill and 'brim' the tank full. Then next time refill at around 300-325 and see how much was left in the tank. Tank holds 62L for Quattro, Front-Wheel Drive holds 56L so from what remains in the tank you can calculate your real mpg and estimate quite accurately how many miles later you would've run out!

Or if you don't drive like an old man perhaps refill before 300 :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,670 Posts
Just drive it hard and fill up when the computer goes bong!

My needle is a crap as they come, fill
Up and it's well over the top, when dis goes bong at 30miles remaining the needle is still at 1/2 lol all the fuel gauge does is fill a hole in my car lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,537 Posts
If it's a quattro the tank holds 62 litres :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,711 Posts
WozzaTT said:
If it's a quattro the tank holds 62 litres :wink:
+1.

Yep, I also play 'how many litres will she hold' when I fill up. I know how many miles I can do, and I know how many I've done when I fill, so I use the same ratio against the 62ltr tank and see if they're close. They usually are, within a handful of litres.

PS: I drive like Miss Daisy, so I get 400 miles on a tank minimum. Unless I'm on a track, in which case I drive like a Whirling Dervish. (that's spinning off the track, in case you wondered)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Filled up today and again about a quater of a tank over the 1/1 full.
Not much consolation to others but called the trader today and as the Dashpod had been done just before I purchased iand t's covered under a 12 month warranty. I will try to get an update from them as to what they do to fix and post again if I can get some rhyme and reason.

I am getting over 400 to a tank but most is motorway and faster A roads. Must be another Miss D!

Today's fill up was Shell VMax so see what miles I get this time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,888 Posts
Tokes said:
Filled up today and again about a quater of a tank over the 1/1 full.
Not much consolation to others but called the trader today and as the Dashpod had been done just before I purchased iand t's covered under a 12 month warranty. I will try to get an update from them as to what they do to fix and post again if I can get some rhyme and reason.

I am getting over 400 to a tank but most is motorway and faster A roads. Must be another Miss D!

Today's fill up was Shell VMax so see what miles I get this time.
As most of these repair companies don't just repair the singular fault but do a full refurb and test, is it plausible that they have set the fuel gauge to a 56ltr sweep instead of a 62ltr sweep?

I hope so as that would explain why mine freshly refurbed dashpod is reading too high (the fuel gauge was working perfectly when I took it out) :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,044 Posts
tricklexxx said:
.....................is it plausible that they have set the fuel gauge to a 56ltr sweep instead of a 62ltr sweep? ......
I don't know if it would help the diagnosis (or just confuse the matter! :roll: ) but if you do a VagCom/VCDS scan and select 'Instruments' there is a test that does a sweep check of the dials. I think the first test is a full deflection and second brings the dials back to the halfway point.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top