Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought and fitted a set of tinted rear lights - thing is - they are VERY tinted !
Tomorrow I have my first ever MOT and apart from non-functioning alien washers - those lights are the main thing I'm worried about ..

have a look

Perhaps I should fit the originals just for the MOT - should only take 20 minutes to re-fit them ... I'm just curious if anyone knows if they'd fail an MOT ? They do dim the lights a lot ...

·
Registered
83,930 Posts
jamman said:
I would refit the originals what will it take 10 mins max
Seconded

·
Registered
19,838 Posts
Refit the originals. It's what I do... :)

If you leave those on you'll need to stick on separate red reflectors which as you can imagine will look cack. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
15,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah youre right, thanks fellas, I'll save myself £28.50 and put the origidiginals back on ...

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
You can buy stick on reflectors in cheap car shops for pennies... They will look rubbish but useful to have so you don't have to change lights around. Simply remove after mot. Probably a bit late for this time though.

Do you know the problem with the aliens? If they pop up, but don't squirt, it's the nozzles that are blocked. Simple to resolve if you have a steam cleaner. Get someone to operate the washers and grab the aliens when they pop up. Wedge them to stop them going back down and give the nozzles a good few minutes of steam. This works wonders :)

·
Registered
15,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Garth said:
Do you know the problem with the aliens?
Not really no, I tried to get a garage to fix them during a service but they deemed it "too expensive" - they did mention that something was broken though and that they needed replacing ..

I only wish I knew what I was doing as I reckon replacing things is often just the easy (and more profitable) way out ...

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
mullum said:
They do dim the lights a lot ...
Forgive me but I cant understand folk who fit lights that impinge on safety like this. If you have a crash and the police and your insurers find out ( whether or not they are declared ) your f***ed!

Brian

·
Registered
15,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I bought them I presumed they were legal and therefor "safe". After fitting (on a very bright sunny day) I had a quick look at the brightness as they are very tinted. To my eyes they seemed a bit dim, but I'm a noob really ..

I could imagine that if someone hit me from behind for example, and it was actually their fault (not lights related) - they might try BLAMING the lights. But yeah, I hear what you're saying ..

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
mullum said:
When I bought them I presumed they were legal and therefor "safe". After fitting (on a very bright sunny day) I had a quick look at the brightness as they are very tinted. To my eyes they seemed a bit dim, but I'm a noob really ..

I could imagine that if someone hit me from behind for example, and it was actually their fault (not lights related) - they might try BLAMING the lights. But yeah, I hear what you're saying ..
You have a valid point, but mine is that the MOT is a statutory road worthiness check. I'm suggesting that regardless of technical fault in an accident plod might be interested in your modded lights and the consequences for you could be a prosecution for an un-roadworthy car. In that case your insurers will nullify your insurance and well, you can guess the rest mate.

But hey, its your car, your risk ( just like German plates et al)... and I have to say they do look good!

Hark said:
Double brake mod helps, but depends how dark they are.
true, but I believe my point is still valid; as removing them for an MOT suggests that mullum knows they're not really 'legal'

Brian

·
Registered
15,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tritium said:
I believe my point is still valid; as removing them for an MOT suggests that mullum knows they're not really 'legal'
Brian
Well, it's not that I "know" - it's that I "fear" they may not be legal - point is I'm not sure and dont really want to spend the price of an MOT to find out. Hence the thread really. But I see what you mean by "suggests".
What I'm actually going to do is take the originals with me to the MOT and ask the bloke. If he says switch them I will - but if he starts getting smart on me (as in says that now he's seen them on he will have to do this or that) I'll just drive away and get an MOT elsewhere.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
mullum said:
To be completely honest that light output is really poor and I'd fail it straight away. In bright sunshine especially you're really running the risk of being rear ended. Several times. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but I'd never consider going that dark myself on the tail lights. :?

·
Registered
15,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Chav black ? Yeah, cheers lol. What colour is your car then ? :p j/k

I don't mind if some people don't like the look of them, that's fine - its personal taste isn't it. Some might not like the way one man's missus applies her make up, but it's not them who has to "drive her" . J/k ;-)

·
Registered
15,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Naresh said:
I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but I'd never consider going that dark myself on the tail lights. :?
Not at all harsh, it's about safety so I welcome your opinion.
Like I said I'd presumed (somewhat ignorantly) that they where sold as "safe" and only thought they seemed "a bit dim" after fitting them on a very bright sunny day. I was really after a "smoked" look rather than this blacked out "glossy" look. I do think these would look great on a black TT.

I've seen some LED ones on eBay that look alright, not quite so blacked out ...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts