Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im not too sure if I want to go cutting my nice Airbox?

I defiantly would like more induction and turbo noise - but I think a massive open cone would get annoying from what ive heard.

Is there any danger of hydrolocking your engine etc with the Wak Box - I mean in heavy rain etc - not driving through fords etc.

Also are standard airboxes easy to come by if I wanted to replace it back to standard?

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
olibb said:
So im not too sure if I want to go cutting my nice Airbox?

I defiantly would like more induction and turbo noise - but I think a massive open cone would get annoying from what ive heard.

Is there any danger of hydrolocking your engine etc with the Wak Box - I mean in heavy rain etc - not driving through fords etc.

Also are standard airboxes easy to come by if I wanted to replace it back to standard?
Do it, it's a great free mod!

I swapped my wak box over to a K&N open cone filter a few months ago. I wouldn't say it's annoying at all, just a bit more vocal when giving it the beans.

To be honest, I would assume driving through a ford you would have an equal change of hydrolocking no matter what set up you have!

Loz

·
Registered
932 Posts
It depends on what you are after - if you like the sound of induction and its associated whooshes and suction noises then yes go for it. Mine sounds far better to me with the mod done. However if you like the quiet life then leave well alone and just get a panel filter.

I bought a Simota panel filter off ebay and I'm very pleased with the quality and the car feels a little more responsive on the accelrator now too.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
You'll get loads of people saying, "Do it, do it, do it!" but I think too many fail to realise that what they like isn't always going to be to someone else's taste. I was cautious about it and rather than cutting a load of holes into my box I waited for someone to offer one already done here. It only takes a couple of minutes to fit and after a day I decided I couldn't stand the noise of it, but thankfully had my old one to put back on. I managed to pass on the Wak Box here.

I'd suggest you try the same unless you're really impatient and want to do your own. In the end if you do and then find you don't like it a new box isn't all that expensive from the dealer anyway.

·
Registered
84,232 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Definitely worth doing! If your unsure, you can always pick up a box quite cheaply on eBay or even through TTS I would imagine. It's only the bottom half you need.

Just gives a nice deeper tone!

·
Registered
932 Posts
You get a noise faintly resembling a dump valve when you release the accelerator after a first gear/second gear burst. It's quite addictive....

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I too was unsure about cutting up my airbox so i didnt, i managed to get a k&n 57i for £33 delivered (yes £33 delivered BARGAIN!!) from e-bay.
On friday it took me about 20 mins from start to end to fit and is very addictive, when you hit the loud pedal, it sounds great and when you let off the revs its sounds even better.

My advice, go get yourself an induction kit and if you dont like it you can refit the standard air box that you havent cut up, then just sell the induction kit on.

·
Registered
493 Posts
See if you can find someone local who has one fitted and go for a ride in theirs. See what you think that way. I have a huge K&N fitted and unless I'm on boost, the car is no louder. But when giving it the beans, you hear the induction roar inside, the "woosh" of the dump valve and outside you hear the turbo spooling up.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all your comments. I think i will try to source an airbox. Do i need to look for anything in particular for the 225 box? I ideally want to keep the car looking standard.

Dont suppose anyone has a Wak Box / standard airbox for sale?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I decided to do mine at the weekend, finding it very pleasing on the ear :p

Currently have 6 holes in the bottom of the box and two in the front, so far so good even in the 28 deg heat we're currently getting.

Still looks totally standard as the battery cover and airbox cover are so close you can't see the front holes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have just bought my TT and that was the first quick upgrade that every one is talking about along with a new back box, to make her sound a little "stronger"
Is that upgrade really going to make a difference of just ruin the air box? I am dubious...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So i did the Wak Box mod. I can honestly say it sounds amazing. Real deep bass note - and you really cna hear the turbo. But when driving normally its not annoying etc. I will try to get a video up.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Definitely do this mod, I did this today however I managed to find an airbox that was already 'wakked' with a pipercross panel filter and i must say im well impressed with the results, a nice deep rumble when pulling off and more noise from the turbo, but when driving in normal conditions remains subtle. A must!!!!

·
Registered
13,711 Posts
Half right. The 'strategic holes drilled in' is the right bit, although there's no harm in really going to town on the thing.

But yes, it's basically an airbox with more holes in it. How many/where are up to you. :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.