Audi TT Forum banner
23661 - 23680 of 23683 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I'm in the same position Dave, bought a set of A rated Avons. Their brilliant in the wet and dry but their summer tyres. In cold weather the rubber hardens so their not flexible so lessons overall grip. Plus the tread pattern is as good as having slicks in the snow/slush.
Fwd makes little difference I'm afraid. I wish I'd gone for all weather tyres as in theory we don't drive faster than 70 mph at any time lol.
Mine will rot with age rather than me ever wearing them out as only cover about 1500 miles a year.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I'm in the same position Dave, bought a set of A rated Avons. Their brilliant in the wet and dry but their summer tyres. In cold weather the rubber hardens so their not flexible so lessons overall grip. Plus the tread pattern is as good as having slicks in the snow/slush.
Fwd makes little difference I'm afraid. I wish I'd gone for all weather tyres as in theory we don't drive faster than 70 mph at any time lol.
Mine will rot with age rather than me ever wearing them out as only cover about 1500 miles a year.
The set i have just replaced were roadstone nexus (they cost me £210 fitted), same A rated wet and summer tyres (not available in A wet grip now or i would have got another set)). Never had a problem over 3 year on the car and it's my daily driver (about 10k a year). Drove fine in snow, just stopping was a problem lol
Will see how these Debica perform.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Needed to fit a new exhaust clamp so took the opportunity to fit a decat too. Would have been a much more pleasant job if I had a lift :)

Wood Gas Household hardware Artifact Tool

Automotive design Vehicle Auto part Metal Rim

On a positive note, the cat is original and in very good condition internally so shall keep hold of it for the MOT in a years time. Need to figure out how to remove the rusty studs at some point.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Needed to fit a new exhaust clamp so took the opportunity to fit a decat too. Would have been a much more pleasant job if I had a lift :)

View attachment 477520

View attachment 477521

On a positive note, the cat is original and in very good condition internally so shall keep hold of it for the MOT in a years time. Need to figure out how to remove the rusty studs at some point.
And the covers are still on the originals! Mine rotted away years ago.

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,107 Posts

Hi, Coat those threads in HMP grease or similar to prevent corrosion.
Hoggy. :)

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Tried to fit the new breather pipe I've bought for my car. It's the hard plastic one that goes into the top of the oil filter housing on the front of the block, and the old one was broken. I was really pleased with myself when I thought of releasing the other two parts of the pipe and taking the whole thing out rather than trying to undo the clip on the T-piece with it all in place, then spent ages trying to get the broken-off part out of the engine. Finally it came out, but I was running so late I've just had to slap the bits back in and will have to go back in again and tighten up the worm clips that should hold it all together.

I also wasn't able to get the new pipe to sit properly where it should, so I can't put the clip back in. Oh well, a job for another day. I hope that the bits of broken plastic wire cover that dropped into the bellhousing aren't causing any trouble, nor the few little bits of the old breather pipe that dropped down into the engine. Presumably the former will either spin out of the way or get chewed up by the starter motor, and the latter will eventually drop down into the sump. Couldn't get them out anyway, so there wasn't anything else to do.

Oh, and it's come up with a couple of codes and runs badly sometimes - one is the Oxygen Lambda sensor 1 on bank 1, and the other is the MAF signal too low. Great. MOT next week, and it decides to start playing up. (ETA - this was before I did the breather pipe, it's not linked to that).

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Removed the MAF sensor and cleaned it out today, cleared the codes and it seems OK for now. There was a bit of oil on the sensor, so that can't have helped much. Had to borrow a five-point security bit to remove it, luckily someone on the farm does a lot of work on modern stuff and had some in his toolbox - on the list for the NEC classic car show. Audi don't sell the MAF sensor any more, GSF want £400+, ECP want a lot less and if I need to, I can get a no-brand one from eBay for a lot less.

It may be unrelated, but I've noticed over the last few years that when coming away from the shed when the engine is cold, there's a bit of hesitation as I drive along the driveway at around 15mph in second gear, and that seemed to have improved after cleaning.

·
Registered
11,701 Posts
Removed the MAF sensor and cleaned it out today, cleared the codes and it seems OK for now. There was a bit of oil on the sensor, so that can't have helped much. Had to borrow a five-point security bit to remove it, luckily someone on the farm does a lot of work on modern stuff and had some in his toolbox - on the list for the NEC classic car show. Audi don't sell the MAF sensor any more, GSF want £400+, ECP want a lot less and if I need to, I can get a no-brand one from eBay for a lot less.

It may be unrelated, but I've noticed over the last few years that when coming away from the shed when the engine is cold, there's a bit of hesitation as I drive along the driveway at around 15mph in second gear, and that seemed to have improved after cleaning.
If you do buy a new one. Only get genuine Bosch in a hologram sealed box.
ECP are fine, but check that the box is sealed before accepting it.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
If you do buy a new one. Only get genuine Bosch in a hologram sealed box.
ECP are fine, but check that the box is sealed before accepting it.
Thanks, I have read that in the various threads. At the age of my car, it's always tempting to go for the cheaper option. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, I think. No doubt I'll get it booked in for MOT and it will throw the light again on the way.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Fitted my new induction heat shield from dc240 who's on here. Nice little addition to the engine bay, my cone filter is now nice and secure! Might adjust/trim the silicone coupler to angle the filter further away from battery but it's not touching as it is.
Vehicle Hood Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exhaust

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Had my annual service (which is also my pre-MOT check) the other day, and nothing serious to report. It's probably the first time it hasn't needed a CV boot or a ball joint or similar for a very long time. My fairly-recently-replaced sump seems to be nice and oil-tight, too.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Today I swapped out my fuel pump - don't fancy getting stuck in a multi story again like last weekend! During the process found a butt load of glass from where someone has clearly smashed the rear glass on the soft top at some point and not bothered to clean it all out (Which probably explains the very good condition the current window/seal is in!). It's not a bad job, but fiddly as hell.

Hood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

Food Tableware Dishware Ingredient Recipe

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Steering part Tire

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Hood Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Took mine for MOT this morning, pass with advisories on some suspension bushes, and on the driver door interior catch which sometimes doesn't like to let people out.

23661 - 23680 of 23683 Posts