Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

After some contemplation I have decided to take the plunge and do the Wak Box mod. I have ordered a Piper-Cross panel filter and just got these bad boys

I'm going to tackle the air box tonight and drill the holes as per Wak's awesome website. The only thing is will the Wak Box be OK with the standard filter until I get the Piper-Cross (should be 1 or 2 days tops) or should I wait until I have the new filter before I do the mod?

Cheers,

Sploits :p

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Youll be fine, but yeh not too many holes.... you can pretty much drill a hole then put it on and take it for a run and see what you think. mines got a shit load of holes in but sounds real nice and deep. 8)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips guys.

So do you think I should just do 2 on the side and 2 at the bottom?

I was gonna go crazy like Wak

but if you think I don't need that many holes then I won't go that mad haha.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
fleabay mate, like £35. there just better than the paper ones, youll never need to change it again!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wak Box done. About 8 holes in her (4 bottom and 4 smaller ones side). She sounds nice at low revs but haven't noticed a big change when going a little heavy footed. Maybe that's the right outcome or maybe she will sound even better once the pipercross panel is popped in.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Thats pretty much what to expect!

The filter wont make a notible difference.

Great mod for much cheapness :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Did mine the other day with about 8 holes, and bloody hell what a racket in 3rd and 4th.....................Mrs got in the car last night and said it sounded like a chavved up tractor.................... :D

Bri

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
ch33se said:
Did mine the other day with about 8 holes, and bloody hell what a racket in 3rd and 4th.....................Mrs got in the car last night and said it sounded like a chavved up tractor.................... :D

Bri
So sounds perfect then :)

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
ch33se said:

Bri
exactly why I removed mine... Sounds sh*t to me! :? :lol:

Make sure you keep your 'holes' that you've cut out (assuming a hole saw) then you can hot glue them back in like I did today, when you get fed up with it ;)

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
:grin:

I remember doing this on my calibra back in the late 90's. It wasn't a good idea then and it still isn't now ;) all I got was more noise and a dirty air filter. I replaced it with a k&n 57i... And that was a worse idea!
Ended up buying a new OEM airbox and was pleased when it was all standard again :)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have all the holes sitting in my back yard just in case. The result I have got is ok, was expecting a little more noise when putting my foot down but it will do I suppose.
If worst comes to worst and the holes go missing I priced up a new airbox for about £30 of eBay

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 29 Posts