Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
46 TOPLESS DRIVE A686, Penrith to Haydon Bridge No road in England can provide a challenge like the A686: tight hairpins, steep inclines and broad sweeps. But a convertible is needed to appreciate the terrific variety of scenery along its 40-odd miles, from Long Meg and Her Daughters, a stone circle in the gentle Eden valley to the high, bleak fells of the Pennines, the panoramic view up to the Solway Firth from Hartside Height and the cute cobbled streets of Alston. Top down, pulse up: the perfect summer drive.

Absolutely agree...but it doesn't have to be topless...it's just as much fun in a coupe :wink:
Joe 8)

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yodah said:
So you agree with yourself? That's brill, TTCool [smiley=party2.gif]
Eh?...my post is obviously a copy and paste from an article...Item 46 or are you just having fun?

Seriously, if you are anywhere near the locations please take this route. It really is a most satisfying drive. I've driven this route several times and I'm hoping to arrange a cruise in the summer, perhaps starting at The Samling Country House Hotel in the Lake District, overlooking Lake Windermere.

Joe

·
Registered
346 Posts
TTCool said:
Yodah said:
Eh?...my post is obviously a copy and paste from an article...Item 46 or are you just having fun?

Seriously, if you are anywhere near the locations please take this route. It really is a most satisfying drive. I've driven this route several times and I'm hoping to arrange a cruise in the summer perhaps starting at The Samling Country House Hotel in the Lake District, near Windermere.

Joe
Oh, must be late Joe. What article was that then :roll:

Well, let me know about the drive you are planning. Sounds super [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
But will anyone be able to keep up with you ,,,,, I hear that all that can be seen when you put your foot down is a cloud of smoke? :eek:

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yodah said:
TTCool said:
Yodah said:

Seriously, if you are anywhere near the locations please take this route. It really is a most satisfying drive. I've driven this route several times and I'm hoping to arrange a cruise in the summer perhaps starting at The Samling Country House Hotel in the Lake District, near Windermere.

Joe
Oh, must be late Joe. What article was that then :roll:

Well, let me know about the drive you are planning. Sounds super [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
But will anyone be able to keep up with you ,,,,, I hear that all that can be seen when you put your foot down is a cloud of smoke? :eek:
Link to article: Times On Line...

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif ... &offset=48

Well, as I've never experienced the scenery so far :roll: , maybe I will slow down this time :D

Joe

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have no doubt driven on this round and not linked it to your post, I go up to the lakes every year as have a time share, really nice around all over to be honest.

Id be tempted to make the journey for a nice big run (and assuming you will have a none TT at the event)

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
T. Spark said:
I have no doubt driven on this round and not linked it to your post, I go up to the lakes every year as have a time share, really nice around all over to be honest.

Id be tempted to make the journey for a nice big run (and assuming you will have a none TT at the event)
Glad you have experienced part or all of this drive. The distance between Penrith and Haydon Bridge is only about 40 miles, but of course there is the mileage involved in getting to the start and then home afterwards.

Personally I've always regarded other marques as very welcome and I've been on a couple of mixed drives with a Nissan NSX, Mitsubishi EVO, Subaru Impreza and Lotus Elise, at different times, along with another TT of course.

The Lake District is indeed a carnival of scenic and driving pleasure along with a few 'not bad' roads :wink:

Joe

·
Registered
16 Posts
TTCool said:
T. Spark said:

Glad you have experienced part or all of this drive. The distance between Penrith and Haydon Bridge is only about 40 miles, but of course there is the mileage involved in getting to the start and then home afterwards.

Personally I've always regarded other marques as very welcome and I've been on a couple of mixed drives with a Nissan NSX, Mitsubishi EVO, Subaru Impreza and Lotus Elise, at different times, along with another TT of course.

The Lake District is indeed a carnival of scenic and driving pleasure along with a few 'not bad' roads :wink:

Joe
You see the distance thing isnt as bad for myself as I drive a oil burner, 550 miles in grandad mode from 45 litre's ;)

Atleast im still within the VAG range with a Seat so a little closer than the above mentioned.

I love the Lake District, have been going every summer since I can remember, even as a small child. Now I enjoy it for a different reason all together, the roads!

Id be very tempted in yours to come (still being a young 'un) to get a holiday home myself up there as im sure at any part of the year its beautiful. Ive only been during the summer, normally around the bank holiday in August, but I can imagine it around Christmas/Winter looking completly different again.

If you do arrange anything, im sure some TT's from here will convoy up for it, maybe get a B&B

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
T. Spark said:
TTCool said:
T. Spark said:

Joe
You see the distance thing isnt as bad for myself as I drive a oil burner, 550 miles in grandad mode from 45 litre's ;)

Atleast im still within the VAG range with a Seat so a little closer than the above mentioned.

I love the Lake District, have been going every summer since I can remember, even as a small child. Now I enjoy it for a different reason all together, the roads!

Id be very tempted in yours to come (still being a young 'un) to get a holiday home myself up there as im sure at any part of the year its beautiful. Ive only been during the summer, normally around the bank holiday in August, but I can imagine it around Christmas/Winter looking completly different again.

If you do arrange anything, im sure some TT's from here will convoy up for it, maybe get a B&B
How right you are about the Winter scenery and the traffic is lighter. Let's hope we get some Summer first, though.

Joe

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yodah said:
Do I feel a nice cruise coming up, or will it be a hoon? :roll:
No, you wouldn't be following a hoodlum in a speeding stolen car :lol: Perhaps you would care to lead on this one :wink: That way we will be assured of a nice 'Miss Daisy Cruise'. Just joking, the Summer is a long way off. I'm sure there will be plenty of other suggestions.

Joe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.