Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
TT Roadster, S-line Quattro, Glacier. White. Tech, C&S & Open-Top Packs, Matrix, & a load more!!!
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. does anybody know if you can safely trickle charge the MK3 directly off the Battery.

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
96,879 Posts
Hi all. does anybody know if you can safely trickle charge the MK3 directly off the Battery.
Hi, Trickle charging shouldn't cause any problems. What is the trickle charge current being used, <1amp ?. Many on here use a Ctek charger.
Hoggy. :)

·
Registered
TT Roadster, S-line Quattro, Glacier. White. Tech, C&S & Open-Top Packs, Matrix, & a load more!!!
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Hoggy, thanks for the quick reply, its a smart charger, but not C-tek, max charge rate is 4 amps but im sure it does under 1 amp when in trickle mode!!

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
96,879 Posts
Hi, Smart chargers are usually fine as they adjust to suit battery conditions.

·
Administrator
96,879 Posts
Hi, It has been stated that charging from the points under the bonnet will reduce the charging current.
Doesn't make sense to me :confused: & not something I believe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
much easier and comfortable using the dedicated points under the bonnet
Its actually easier for me to go direct off the battery as i have to park backside in, i have a weatherproof wall socket right next to the boot, therefore i can keep the charger in the boot!!!

Reactions: kevin#34

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the answers all!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I was reading that BMWs have a battery integrity meter (or whatever it's called) so it's essential to use the charging points under the bonnet to avoid damage to the alternator. I'd be surprised if Audi didn't have the same tech, which might explain the lower charge rate.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Surely it's a similar argument to Kevin's over disconnecting the battery sensor to inhibit stop/start. If you charge from the correct place under the bonnet the charging circuit sees the charge going into the battery so makes the appropriate adjustment to the alternator voltage when it charges next. If you charge direct to the battery then the charging circuit doesn't see the charge and thinks the battery is much flatter than it really is so will ask the alternator to over-charge at the next opportunity with consequent theoretical battery life reduction.

That said and knowing all that I had my optimate connected direct to the battery for all of lockdown to avoid leaving the bonnet open and nothing went wrong.

So charge under the bonnet unless it's a lot more convenient to charge direct to the battery. What a cop out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The sensor attached to the Neg rail is there for the stop/start function and nothing else, I disconnect this on my Porsche Cayman 3 years ago and my old MK3 TT. After disconnect both cars charged between 13.8 and 14.2 volts when driven, I had no issues with either car. If the EMU can`t read the battery condition it reverts to standard alternator charging, there is NO eml light shown on the dash when the sensor is disconnected, the only warning is a crossed out stop/start sign, this clearly indicates that the sensor is only there to ensure the car will restart when the stop/start function is active.
I also trickle charge the Porsche from the battery terminals.

·
Registered
10,909 Posts
That said and knowing all that I had my optimate connected direct to the battery for all of lockdown to avoid leaving the bonnet open and nothing went wrong.

So charge under the bonnet unless it's a lot more convenient to charge direct to the battery. What a cop out.
I drop an extension lead down through the engine compartment to the ground and then to mains. I can then plug my C-tek charger onto the terminals under the bonnet and still have the bonnet locked.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts