Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. New to the forum having purchased an MK1 several years ago.

Without going into a long story, at 100K miles, my 2003 225/Quattro coupe is getting a new, long-block 225hp; supposedly the "last unit" from Audi in Germany (or so I've been told by Audi here in the US).

My question for the forum: In my position, is there anything that you would replace at the same time while the engine is out (turbo, clutch, etc.) to hopefully avoid a return visit to my mechanic any time soon? The cost is already exorbitant so let's pretend that any additional cost would be in the noise.

Any thoughts would be based on much greater knowledge than my own and greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Check for cracks on the turbo hot side and exhaust manifold, also check how much play is on the turbine shaft. A new clutch slave cylinder and DMF would be a good idea as well

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Dual Mass Flywheel for the clutch, It may be ok but they do wear and get loose,
There is a certain amount of acceptable movement but to be safe just replace it.
Unless it's very good of course.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Cam belt, water pump and tensioner is worth doing.
Might be worth changing the oil seals on the gearbox and the drive shafts.
Maybe check all the coolant and breather pipes as well, as some maybe perished. The metal coolant pipes that run round the engine rust, so you might want to change those also.

I can keep going 😀

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ummmm..... maybe? But I did say PRETEND additional costs were in the noise. 🤑😬
Ha ha!
Sorry, I get a bit over enthusiastic when there is a build on! Deffo do the belt and pumps though, along with the DMF and clutch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts