Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to be a long ranting post everyone so be prepared!

Well its been an eventful weekend for me so far. It was my mates stag night yesterday and we started off the day with a Paintball session (damm those things hurt!) Anyway we were all meeting up at his house in Inverness. So i pull up at his house and get out of my car and make my way to his door and he greets me with a shocked look on his face and says what's happened to your car??? I said what are you on about and he said err the big dent in your wing? Im like aye aye whatever and he is like no seriously. By this time im starting to get nervous and am scared to look round at my car. I calmly turn round and could see a dent but i found myself saying no no no its just a reflection/shadow as we walked up the damage got worse and worse and worse. Big dent in the wing and completely scratched and scuffed to a height of about 20 cm The corner of the bumper is all scuffed too! :x . By this time i was not a happy chappy. I have had a few days off and the car has basically sat at my flat. I washed the car on Thursday afternoon and the damage was not there so it has happened between then and Saturday morning. I had not noticed the damage as i always reverse into my space so when i leave the flat i always approach the car from the back. By this time i was in no frame of mind to go paint balling i was more hacked off at the fact that somebody could do this my pride and joy and simply drive off!

My Insurance has a £250 compulsory excess and a £250 voluntary excess and i do not have protected no claims so at this point i was fizzing as its going to have to come out of my pocket when its not even my fault! And the cars going to cost me a fortune this month new Alien £72, oil and filter change £50 and the car is also booked in for cambelt and water pump plus MOT on Wednesday and the Dent Devil guy is going to trying to sort my door when its in at the garage! and now this to fix on top of all that! [smiley=bomb.gif]

Here are a couple of pics of my poor TT

So After paintball i headed back to Nairn and decided to pop into the police station to report it and also to get an Incident number for the insurance (just to cover myself) They said have you asked any neighbors etc if they saw anything and at that time i said no as i went straight to the police station on my way home.

I had to get back through to Inverness for the meal for the Stag do in a couple of hours but decided to knock on some doors when i got home to shower/change. I popped in to see the old lady in the flat above and she took me in and i explained that i had just been down to the police station to report that my car had been hit and asked if she had seen/heard anything as i new that the damage had occurred at the flat. She then said well its funny you should say that Mrs XXXX came and picked me up to take me shopping on Friday morning i got into her car and the first thing she said to me was i think i just had that car! She then said they both got out and the lady in the flat above points to the damage on my car and the driver said Oh no i could not possibly have done all that! They then simply drove off! [smiley=bigcry.gif]. Bit of a coincidence i have fresh damage to my car and this lady thinks she hit my car, saw the state of it and then says oh no i couldn't have cause all that damage!

Moving on the lady in the flat above said i will call her to say you just popped in to say your car has fresh damage and i will see what she says. She called me back a little while later and said the lady is going to pop round with her car on Sunday for me to have a look at it but she is saying she has looked at her car and can see no damage! Well true to her word she did come round this morning in a silver Nissan Micra. I new the damage to her car had to either be the offside front bumper or the neerside rear bumper due to the way my car was parked. Well i checked the front bumper first nope no damage. i then went round to the rear bumper and look what i was greeted with!

Quite hard to see in the pictures but the damage to her car goes all the way to the corner of her bumper and surprise surprise the height of the damage is roughly the same as mine 20 cm! I pointed out the damage to the car and she said well that is the corner that i thought i might have hit your car with! She then said well i must have hit your car then im very sorry. Her husband who was with her today said get a quote and we will pay for the damage to you car. I think they are thinking that all my car needs is a blob of filler and a t-cut for £50! I reckon thats going to be a new wing and bumper repair probably more like £500! I got her insurance details and said i will get a quote and then give you a call and if its too much then it can go through her insurance company which they agreed to. I called my insurance company today and explained the above and they said thats fine with them and if its too much then they will open up a claim for me and it will be done through there insurance company with no cost to me or my no claims!

I am still a bit annoyed though as i am so careful with where i park my car when im at Tescos etc and this goes and happens at my own flat. Not only that but i do not see why i should have to pay for this when its not my fault, but at the same time it was good of the lady in the flat above to admit what had happened, If it was not for that then it would have been more money coming out of my pocked which i can ill afford at the moment as she is getting the cambelt/water pump done next week plus MOT and i am also getting my door repaired and the same time by Dent devils so all in its going to be an expensive month for me.

Rant over.......

for now!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
yeh can be quite upsetting, all the work we put into our cars and for a hit n run just to piss all over it isnt fair.... i thin k you have got rather lucky, at least your getting it fixed and you didnt have to scrap someone for it!

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Shit happens and at least your old dears were honest.

The softtop on mine was vandalised = £2,500 :eek:

It cost me a lot of hassle and £700 excess and next year premium goes up [smiley=bigcry.gif]

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Ahh geez sorry to hear that bud. Hit and runs are a nightmare. At least you seem to be getting somewhere. I have had my cars bashed to bits over the years by tired stewardesses in my company airline crew car park....When i first bought my audi S6 a fair few years ago ,i came back from 5 day trip away ,took the cover off my car and underneath... my front bumper was totally creased in and shattered.... [smiley=bigcry.gif] :( Ive spent thousands in body damage over the years and its heartbreaking. :( I even came back once to see a stewardess [smiley=gorgeous.gif] with her big samsonite hard case slapped on my bonnet :eek: ....looking for her bloody hair tongs.. [smiley=furious3.gif]. And her reply was.... "its only a car darling"..... [smiley=huh2.gif]

Damien.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Sorry to hear that...when my car got hit couple weeks ago I was in pieces :( getting fixed on Tuesday through their insurance but I know how you feel. Fingers crossed it doesn't take too long to fix :)

·
Registered
13,044 Posts
Sorry to hear that too.
It's never nice, but count yer blessings. You've found the culprit. They're insured.

Although it may be a technical "hit and run" they will (possibly truthfully) claim they weren't aware so keep it friendly and don't use that line unless you really have to.
Get a couple of decent repair quotes etc and they may want to use the cheaper one so only get quotes from a dealer or someone recommended. If they pay all well and good.
If not, use their insurance, deal with the insurance directly. Then when it's all sorted or in progress you should inform your insurance but can stipulate that it's not even a claim nor a loss, as it has all been settled. If they try to increase your premium then complain.
Wish you luck.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all, I do intend to get a few quotes tomorrow afternoon so i will have a better idea as to what will happen tomorrow once i go and speak to the lady with the quotes. The police office that dealt with me yesterday came round to the flat this afternoon to see how i got on and to take a copy of the ladies details etc. I also showed him the pictures of her car and he said its now pretty obvious that she has done it and if it does not work out then simply claim it through her insurance.

Am i being harsh to ask the body shop for a new wing? I know filler is fine but i have seen cars in the past that have had filler repairs which have started to go bad a few years down the line and the repair becomes noticeable with ripples and lumps.

If it was your car would you be happy with a body shop filling/repairing the above damage or would you want a new wing to be put on?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
its up to you if you wanna ask for a new one, but i would have thought they could pop that out move it about sand it here and there and then respray it.... not much filler would be needed?! you'll be suprised how good some body shops are :D

·
Registered
13,044 Posts
Last time a similar occurrence happened to me I went to a dealer and got them to quote the repair.
Ask the nearest Audi dealer what they recommend and if it's filler ask what guarantee they'd offer. Then go to your nearest VBRA approved repairer. There aren't many so you may have to travel. Ask them for a second opinion, and about they're guarantee.

·
Registered
19,084 Posts
Charlesuk said:
its up to you if you wanna ask for a new one, but i would have thought they could pop that out move it about sand it here and there and then respray it.... not much filler would be needed?! you'll be suprised how good some body shops are :D
yeah i know its a miff off............but hey it is really minimal tbh and easily repaired now the culprits have owned up to it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
BaueruTc said:
Thanks all, I do intend to get a few quotes tomorrow afternoon so i will have a better idea as to what will happen tomorrow once i go and speak to the lady with the quotes. The police office that dealt with me yesterday came round to the flat this afternoon to see how i got on and to take a copy of the ladies details etc. I also showed him the pictures of her car and he said its now pretty obvious that she has done it and if it does not work out then simply claim it through her insurance.

Am i being harsh to ask the body shop for a new wing? I know filler is fine but i have seen cars in the past that have had filler repairs which have started to go bad a few years down the line and the repair becomes noticeable with ripples and lumps.

If it was your car would you be happy with a body shop filling/repairing the above damage or would you want a new wing to be put on?
personally I'd want a new wing. It was fine before, why should you have have filler and extra paint added to the car.
I have argued with an insurance company who wanted to repair a bumper. Make sure you insist on a new panel when asking for quotes.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Elite0777 said:
personally I'd want a new wing. It was fine before, why should you have have filler and extra paint added to the car.
I have argued with an insurance company who wanted to repair a bumper. Make sure you insist on a new panel when asking for quotes.
i can understand also why people would ask for a new one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-TT-Mk-1- ... 1226wt_910

£190 for a new wing, then fitting/paint ect.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
TTSPORT666 said:
I even came back once to see a stewardess [smiley=gorgeous.gif] with her big samsonite hard case slapped on my bonnet :eek: ....looking for her bloody hair tongs.. [smiley=furious3.gif]. And her reply was.... "its only a car darling"..... [smiley=huh2.gif]

Damien.
Sorry but don't think I'd be able to control myself if that happened to me!

Stu :)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
It's a difficult one to decide on. A new wing will be big money and make you seem like you are taking them for a ride on the repair work! But let's be honest, she left the scene of a crash and of the old dear up states hadn't of grassed her in to you, you would be left with the bill your self! And on the other hand, iv seen dent men work magic on stuff like this, you could have it pulled and straight with next to no filling needed. Would be cheaper for the bugger that did it and your car would be fixed...and everyone is happy, but then it's a repair job your always going to be watching to see of it starts to give of its filled...personally...I would be happy with filler, but my TT is no where near mint, and as long as its fixed, I'm happy!
Jack

·
Registered
160 Posts
It looks like a less than £200 cash job to me, without replacement part - bit of beating, filling, prep and paint. Can't see from the photo - is the rear light cluster ok?

I can't help thinking though - am I the only one surprised to see the plastic bumper of a Micra attack a steel panel on a TT, ending up in

THIS

being caused by

THIS

Regardless of the why's and wherefore's - I hope it gets sorted out properly.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Feel for you happened to me twice last year, luckily I saw it both times. Old guy tried to reverse into space too small with his 5 series beemer and drove off so ran into road and stopped him. He admitted his fault there and then so got new rear bumper them 3 weeks later a woman again space too small reversed her zafira into it so ran over and her attitude sucked saying that's what bumpers are for (bit*h). Told her it was people like her who were driving up insurance for others but she could not care less so another claim through her insurance but just shows you attitude of people and lack of respect for other peoples property. If you have a good body shop that will be a simple repair for them, good luck

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hi for my sins I'm a bodyshop damage asssessor by trade and having looked the damage at the front , most insurance company's will go for repairing the wing rather than replacing , cost being the main issue as all insurance company's are trying to cut cost in order for us to have lower premiums , myself I would also have the wing repaired as the damage on the wing from the photo as its right at the front of the wing and repairing keeps it local , if you replace the wing with the way the bonnet is at the same angle as the wing you might need to blend the bonnet and the door and the sill which means your painting a lot more of the car than you need to if you kept it local on the wing , you may still need to blend the front bumper yet , I reckon cost wise to repair the front wing about just over £300 and if they want to blend the bumper another £75 if they want to blend the bumper , the tt front end is different as the wing and bumper and bonnet share the same angles which shows up paint colour change easier
Hope that helps
:)

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well i managed to get two quotes today from the body-shops i would like to use in Inverness. First up was High-Tech which is Macrae & Dicks body-shop. I explained to both places that the lady wanted to do it cash in hand rather than going through her insurance. He had a good look and said that they could repair the wing, but it would need to be fully re-sprayed along with the front bumper which would all be taken off the car to be done. There quote came in at £458.20

I then went along to Hawco (VW-Audis body-shop) And there chap that does the quotes was off today so one of the repairers came out and looked at it and also took some pictures of the damage. He pretty much said the same thing, Dent can be repaired but the wing and front bumper will both need to be re-sprayed. Could not give me a quote till tomorrow but i cant imagine it being any cheaper than High-Techs quote.

Armed with the first quote i went and visited the ladies house, She was not in but her husband was, I gave him a copy of the first quote which he was happy with. He asked me if i would be happy with them carrying out the repair work to which i replied yes. He wrote me a cheque on the spot for the above quote of £458.20!

I thanked him and then went home and gave the body-shop a call and managed to get her booked in for next Wednesday. They said they will need her for roughly three days.

Its a fair bit of money that they have had to fork out, but i am sure it will work out cheaper for them in the long run as i am sure there premium would have rocketed next year. If it did go through her insurance then i could have had a courtesy car whilst mine was in being repaired. Its lucky for them that come 2pm tomorrow i will have exactly 16 days off work so i can kind of do without my car as the girlfriend is also off so i could borrow hers if required.

My TT is going to be getting some serious TLC over the next few weeks. Cambelt, Water pump change, MOT and Dent Devil Chap is going to try and repair my passenger door too. This all kicks off this Wednesday, Will hopefully have her back for a day or two before she goes into the body-shop to get this damage sorted out. And hopefully by the time i get her back my new Boost gauge should have arrived so i will get that installed as soon as i can.

The only bummer in all of this was that i was so so tempted to head down the road and get a Pipewerx exhaust installed but i doubt i will have time now as i will be without the car for most of my holidays now. :(

Saying that i do have a week off in October! :twisted:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts