Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Might be a dumb question but I've heard about the dogbone bush upgrade? Just wondered exactly what it is, what it costs, the benefits, what parts are needed and how difficult it is to do?

Having some work done to the car next week and wondered whether it was a relatively quick and cheap mod that was worth getting done while it's with the mechanic?

Many thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,932 Posts
I can only assume it's the same as when I had it done in my old Clio 182.

The dogbone bush helps tighten gear change. Mine used to be really slack before upgrading to a Powerflex bush. I did notice a bit more vibration through the gear stick but nothing major!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84,230 Posts
The dog bone is a metal and rubber mount that fixes the back of the engine the the car bulkhead you can change the rubber section for a stiffer one costs about £20 for the parts and is an easy DIY job well worth doing
 

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
Joined
·
96,551 Posts
Hi,Its between engine/gearbox & chassis, prevents excessive engine movement during power gear changes.

Hoggy. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers.

Which is the best to get - powerflex, superpro etc?

Also do I need to get new stretch bolts? Not sure what part numbers they are though - anyone know??

Cheers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,932 Posts
AdamG said:
Cheers.

Which is the best to get - powerflex, superpro etc?

Also do I need to get new stretch bolts? Not sure what part numbers they are though - anyone know??

Cheers.
When uprating/replacing bushes, I've only ever used Powerflex. Never had any issues with them at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84,230 Posts
Hoggy said:
Hi,Its between engine/gearbox & chassis, prevents excessive engine movement during power gear changes.

Hoggy. :D
The one in the pic is a VF engineering mount Thayer are stiffer than the uprated bushes but much better IMOP I think they were £140 + Vat a few years ago when I bought mine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84,230 Posts
L0z said:
Stupid question maybe, but does an Auto have one of these?
Yes it has
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
582 Posts
If you get the Powerflex petrol (yellow) bush you could end up with excessive cabin vibration as they are a lot stiffer. I use the Powerflex TDi (red) bush, around £18, which isn't as harsh and you still get the same benefits. There are a few of us on here use the TDi mount and I haven't heard anyone complain about the quality, vibrations etc.

Yes you need to replace the 4 bolts, they only work out around £5 at TPS.

It's an easy DIY job, a vice would make it even easier when pressing the bush in and tightening it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84,230 Posts
charliett79 said:
If you get the Powerflex petrol (yellow) bush you could end up with excessive cabin vibration as they are a lot stiffer. I use the Powerflex TDi (red) bush, around £18, which isn't as harsh and you still get the same benefits. There are a few of us on here use the TDi mount and I haven't heard anyone complain about the quality, vibrations etc.

Yes you need to replace the 4 bolts, they only work out around £5 at TPS.

It's an easy DIY job, a vice would make it even easier when pressing the bush in and tightening it up.
I have the VR dog bone mount much stiffer than the yellow powerflex bush on both TTs and the yellow bush on the Golf no problem with vibration on any of them once they have covered a few miles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
charliett79 said:
If you get the Powerflex petrol (yellow) bush you could end up with excessive cabin vibration as they are a lot stiffer. I use the Powerflex TDi (red) bush, around £18, which isn't as harsh and you still get the same benefits. There are a few of us on here use the TDi mount and I haven't heard anyone complain about the quality, vibrations etc.

Yes you need to replace the 4 bolts, they only work out around £5 at TPS.

It's an easy DIY job, a vice would make it even easier when pressing the bush in and tightening it up.
What bolts are these called - I'll need to get some replacement ones from the stealers and am pretty sure I'll be incapable of describing what it is I'm after to the parts dep.... :oops:
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top