Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, seems like my sluggish DSG acceleration could be down to a faulty brake switch fooling the DSG into thinking the brakes are on.....

Does anybody have the part number please and is this difficult to fit? Any advice and/help much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
geordiesherman said:
Hi all, seems like my sluggish DSG acceleration could be down to a faulty brake switch fooling the DSG into thinking the brakes are on.....

Does anybody have the part number please and is this difficult to fit? Any advice and/help much appreciated.
Fitting is easy, if you mean the pedal switch.

Remove trim panel under steering column
Unplug harness connector from switch
remove switch by turning ANTI clockwise 90degrees, pull out.

When fitting new ensure the plunger is pulled out from the switch.

Press brake pedal down by hand
position switch and turn clockwise 90degrees
release pedal
connect harness connector.
Job done!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Upgraded-...CarParts_SM&hash=item484615195e#ht_1530wt_980

£4.99 free postage.

Brian

Ps there are apparently two types of switch mentioned in the Bentley manual the second type does not need the plunger withdrawing and you don't press the brake when installing.

I have bought the above linked switch an it appears good quality

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Brian feedback much appreciated :p

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
geordiesherman said:
No problems mate. I have just, today, fitted the linked replacement myself. My TT's brake lights were f**ked/intermittent. Took all of 10 mins to do.

Brian

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately this hasn't cured my DSG issues, i.e. what feels like clutch slip when hot....

·
Premium Member
3,525 Posts
Tritium said:
geordiesherman said:
No problems mate. I have just, today, fitted the linked replacement myself. My TT's brake lights were f**ked/intermittent. Took all of 10 mins to do.

Brian
I had the same problem on mine some time ago. I did wish I pulled the brake pedal up when replacing the switch. There's a bit of travel before it comes on, but still on before the brakes actually start to bite.

Slipping clutch sounds odd. I've not come across such problems with DSG.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
geordiesherman said:
Unfortunately this hasn't cured my DSG issues, i.e. what feels like clutch slip when hot....
BUMMER
Maybe if you have vagcom (vcds) you could first do a scan to see if there are any reported faults. then if ok perhaps do a re-adaptation. if you go to the Ross Tech site link below and have a read that process might help. in particular 1.3 Clutch Adaptation.
Of course you will need a lead and vag-comm to dot it!

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/6-Speed_Direct_Shift_Gearbox_(DSG/02E)
hope this helps...

Brian

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers mate only have VCD lite....never mid it's into Audi at end of month for DSG oil change will ask them to reset it then.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yep cheers - not throwing up any fault codes going to change DSG oil to see if that cures it....

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
geordiesherman said:

Hmmm... its odd, if the brake switch is connecting then it would disengage the clutches and you wouldnt get any drive.... this could be an interesting post.
I suppose if there is a very twitchy signal going to the DSG it might well be confusing the system and causing the clutches to disengage.... but.... when stationary, theres always a one second delay between brake pedal off and clutches engaging....
And, if youre moving, i think the logic is over written and the clutches remain engaged until zero mph or near zero anyway.

If the oil is deteriorated, filter choked or the level has dropped then that might well cause clutch slip but i would have thought it might bring up a code on VAGCOM.....
Check your rear brakes arent binding, ive seen a lot of posts on rear calipers seizing on and causing a squeal or a hot disc on the rear....
A proper DSG oil change and filter plus re-adaption might well cure it too.... If youre having it done at Audi thats good as the DSG uses different oil to normal auto boxes and some regular garages may use the wrong fluid etc...
DSG fluid is yellow and auto transmission fluid (ATF) is red......

Its most strange mate.... ill be very interested in the result, as will all fellow DSG owners.
There isnt a great deal of DSG posts here except for the dreaded mechatronc failure woes....

Sometimes even just performing a throttle body reset perks the performance up quite considerably.

I hope you get sorted mate.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All many thanks for your suggestions, DSG all fixed via me purchasing VCDS-lite licence and performing a full adaptation of DSG.

After a long test drive no faults and vv importantly it now takes of from a standstill like a rocket with ESP kicking in ....roll on traffic light GPs...

I am based in the Newcastle Upon Tyne area so happy to help out with faults now I have a licenced copy of VCDS-lite, just PM me.

TT now has 60k on it now do I go ahead and get Audi to change DSG oil and filter at what would be a 20k interval or leave well alone and stick to 40k change as recommended, what's your thoughts?

Cheers

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
geordiesherman said:
All many thanks for your suggestions, DSG all fixed via me purchasing VCDS-lite licence and performing a full adaptation of DSG.

After a long test drive no faults and vv importantly it now takes of from a standstill like a rocket with ESP kicking in ....roll on traffic light GPs...

I am based in the Newcastle Upon Tyne area so happy to help out with faults now I have a licenced copy of VCDS-lite, just PM me.

TT now has 60k on it now do I go ahead and get Audi to change DSG oil and filter at what would be a 20k interval or leave well alone and stick to 40k change as recommended, what's your thoughts?

Cheers
Great news Mate!
Always glad to help a fellow northerner. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I'm pleased the DSG re-adaptation worked. So far as oil /filter change goes Im in favour of the 20,000 miles route. Audi are probably being optimistic in the 40k - to show a lower maintenance cost. But to my mind, with such a complex bit of kit and potential huge bills if its not maintained well then... its a no brainer. After all, if you drive it with spirit like it just asks you to do... its a small price to pay :D

Brian

ps the adaptation can take a short while to settle in as the box learns your style of driving.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers Brian, shouldn't take DSG long to learn my style of driving - i.e. flat out as much as poss :p

·
Registered
400 Posts
antcole said:
but.... when stationary, theres always a one second delay between brake pedal off and clutches engaging....
Sorry to resurrect this thread - but re the above statement - if there is a one second delay between brake pedal off and clutches engaging, how does the car hold when on a hill before taking off - or hold on a hill when facing downhill and reversing back up the hill?

Cheers
Richard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Silverye said:
antcole said:
but.... when stationary, theres always a one second delay between brake pedal off and clutches engaging....
Sorry to resurrect this thread - but re the above statement - if there is a one second delay between brake pedal off and clutches engaging, how does the car hold when on a hill before taking off - or hold on a hill when facing downhill and reversing back up the hill?

Cheers
Richard.
I believe there's two switches. One for the brake lights and one for the clutch. The clutch will engage before you release the brake pedal fully.

·
Registered
11,836 Posts
Mine had the green switch, but at some point in its life someone had put grease on the plunger and that I think was causing it to stick, or rather release slowly.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Alex_rodg3r said:
Silverye said:
antcole said:

Cheers
Richard.
I believe there's two switches. One for the brake lights and one for the clutch. The clutch will engage before you release the brake pedal fully.
I think the two switches are both in that one switch, if that makes sense. So one will work the brake lights and one will go to the ecu. That's why if your switch is gone you'll probably still have brake lights but dsg will be a bit off and cruise control won't work at all

1 - 20 of 21 Posts