Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a few problems with the temps on my 2001 TTR 225. I have changed the thermostat, waterpump and temp sender but the temperature is still hanging around 100 (on the climate control unit). It sits at 100 and if i boot it it will maybe drop to 96 or 97, but cruising along it can get as high as 103, but when it does it tends to drop fairly quickly back down to 100.

This sounds too high to me, and further to this the engine management light has come on after only 40 miles since having the new parts fitted and the car is in safe mode again :? Not sure what else it could be since i've changed all the usual suspects (i thought maybe a piece of the old impellor was blocking a pipe, but the waterpump was only cracked and still intact).

Is there anyone in the Bournemouth area with VAGCOM? Don't mind paying. Anything else it could be that hasn't already been changed?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Serj said:
I'm having a few problems with the temps on my 2001 TTR 225. I have changed the thermostat, waterpump and temp sender but the temperature is still hanging around 100 (on the climate control unit). It sits at 100 and if i boot it it will maybe drop to 96 or 97, but cruising along it can get as high as 103, but when it does it tends to drop fairly quickly back down to 100.

This sounds too high to me, and further to this the engine management light has come on after only 40 miles since having the new parts fitted and the car is in safe mode again :? Not sure what else it could be since i've changed all the usual suspects (i thought maybe a piece of the old impellor was blocking a pipe, but the waterpump was only cracked and still intact).

Is there anyone in the Bournemouth area with VAGCOM? Don't mind paying. Anything else it could be that hasn't already been changed?
you have checked the water level hav'nt you

·
Registered
561 Posts
what type of thermostat did you fit,and have the probs started since you did the work or did you do the work because of the prob

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
eightfoot said:
what type of thermostat did you fit,and have the probs started since you did the work or did you do the work because of the prob
Thermostat is OEM and the problem was slightly worse before the work. Used to hang around 103ish before the work. Wak was sure it was the waterpump and although the pump had a crack in it, it doesn't seem as though that was the main source of the problem.

·
Registered
561 Posts
how many miles has it done,could you have a blocked rad?does it run cooler if you put on the aircon?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
eightfoot said:
how many miles has it done,could you have a blocked rad?does it run cooler if you put on the aircon?
42,000 miles. How could i find out if the radiator is blocked? I've only tried with the aircon on actually, so maybe my temps will go back to the same as before the work was carried out if i switched the aircon off :?

·
Registered
561 Posts
yes it will run warmer with aircon off,does the car drive ok?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
eightfoot said:
yes it will run warmer with aircon off,does the car drive ok?
For the first 35 miles or so after the work it was fine, then the engine management light came on and it went into limp home mode. I was having problems with the coilpacks before but i had it serviced at the same time and it was fine afterwards, so i'm guessing the spark plugs were fubar. Would the engine management light be linked to the cooling problem?

·
Registered
561 Posts
i dont now what to suggest at the mo,who did the service,it could be a faulty thermo (thats my sort of luck),mine runs at 92-93 with a/c off,intraffic after about 10 mins stationary it goes upto 99-100 fans come on it goes down to 93 again,a/c on in traffic it only goes upto 94-95(fans run slow with a/c on)

·
Registered
150 Posts
The same was happening me for a couple of months, but not as high as you're getting.

Originally I was getting low temps while crusing, i.e. mid 70s to low 80s. So I changed the thermostat to a 180F Neuspeed one. After the change, the temp would range from 94 up to 98 while crusing. I thought it was too high. Wak did say that because the replacement thermostat was'nt OEM my temps were gonna be different anyway.

To cut a long story short, a month ago while I was getting the cambelt and water-pump changed I told them to change the thermostat aswell.......... they did and now my temps stay rock solid at 90 (49c) while crusing and behave as expected in heavy traffic. I think it happened a couple of people on here, that, "new" thermostats can be faulty and in your case not open fully, like my first replacement.

I think it could be worth replacing the "new" thermostat, as you seem to have tried everything else. I doubt it would cause the engine light though.

James

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well gonna get the diagnostic done on it asap and see what comes up. Bought the car 2 months ago and its literally been non-stop problems ever since. Thanks for the help everyone, but its obviously pretty hard for people to diagnose a problem like this over the net! I'll report back when i know the problem.

·
Registered
303 Posts
temp doesnt sound too hot imo?

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
If the water is not working efficiently, that would cause it. When I had my cambelt changed recently, the garage said that the water pump had started to disintegrate, so we caught it just in time. Maybe yours is in a similar state of starting to fall apart, but still just working.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ttsteve said:
If the water is not working efficiently, that would cause it. When I had my cambelt changed recently, the garage said that the water pump had started to disintegrate, so we caught it just in time. Maybe yours is in a similar state of starting to fall apart, but still just working.
That was the original diagnosis, the water pump had cracked but the temp problems have continued with the new water pump.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Another option would be to whip out the new thermostat, get a suitable thermometer, boil up some water and check that the thermostat is opening, as and when its supposed to. Then at least it would definitely eliminate it as the cause of the high temps.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.