Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have been trying to find the exit speeds on the LOBA500 on the 1/4 mile, but can not seem to find anything.

As a comparison, I have the following;
Mitchy ( MRC S2 TTRS ) with OEM turbo 122.3mph
JonnyC ( APR S3 TTRS) with GT3071 turbo127.7mph

I know JonnyC, TTShop, and Rob(??) have run their LOBA turbo'd TTRS's on the 1/4 mile ( all with REVO sw). What were the exit speeds ?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Hi mate,

You probably wont get the answer you are looking for as the other guys that have run up a 1/4m dragstrip have done so at unofficial venues. There's only been myself and Jonny that have run at approved UK dragstrips. The guys that have run at GTI like Rob and TTS did not get terminal exit speeds, only a time. (Its not an official venue, just a set of cones :roll: )

I have bettered my 122.3mph since then with the help of some octane booster...

I was disappointed, the terminal speeds went up but the times went down, the reason being due to the much warmer conditions. Back in February when I got my 11.37 the ambient was 6c or so, on the runs above, 20-22c, my OEM cooler was struggling. Just to show the heatsoak best run of the day was 11.66 but at a much lower 119.7mph

I plan on going back in November when it is much cooler and adding in the octane booster, see if I can still crack 124mph terminals but with sub 11.3sec times.

I reckon the octane booster is adding a good 20hp to my car, the terminal speeds would definitely suggest so anyway.

Generally speaking...

250-400bhp = 100-115mph
400-500bhp = 115-125mph
500-600bhp = 125-135mph
600-700bhp = 130-140mph

DSG gets you at the higher ends of the scale for sure, manuals with the same horsepower will trap lower. I reckon I would run sub 11 @ 128mph with the hybrid and some octane booster/Race Fuel/WMI

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well done Mitchy.... good stuff.

FWIW : I have run
11.9 @ 118.8 mph on REVO1 with WMI and (at sea level) ,
11.9 @ 118.1 mph on REVO2, decatted DP, WMI and Pipercross Intake (1600m above sea level - Johannesburg)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mitchy said:
Hi mate,

You probably wont get the answer you are looking for as the other guys that have run up a 1/4m dragstrip have done so at unofficial venues. There's only been myself and Jonny that have run at approved UK dragstrips. The guys that have run at GTI like Rob and TTS did not get terminal exit speeds, only a time. (Its not an official venue, just a set of cones :roll: )
Perhaps VBOX exits ?

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
ved789 said:
Well done Mitchy.... good stuff.

FWIW : I have run
11.9 @ 118.8 mph on REVO1 with WMI and (at sea level) ,
11.9 @ 118.1 mph on REVO2, decatted DP, WMI and Pipercross Intake (1600m above sea level - Johannesburg)
Looks good to me especially with the very high ambient temps you guys see, you need to get back down to the event that is at sea level though and I'm sure you'll see [email protected]+

What are your 60fts? Have you played around with tyre pressures? My best to date is a 1.74

Good efforts 8)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mitchy said:
What are your 60fts? Have you played around with tyre pressures? My best to date is a 1.74

Good efforts 8)
REVO1 at the coast - 2.01sec 60 ft.........squirming and wheel spinning like a [email protected]
REVO2 at altitude - 1.7242 sec 60ft........ to be expected as we cant boost as hard with the thinner air.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
These were my times (1/8 mile).

This was completely stock, only using 2nd decat pipes, RON98, S-Tronic. Temperature was high (25 degrees).

60-foot Time Speed Time
1.844 8.193 139.265 11:04:29
1.843 8.292 137.143 11:24:19
1.903 8.174 141.732 11:40:23
1.871 8.195 139.265 11:56:22
1.900 8.373 137.143 12:11:53
1.929 8.350 139.535 12:27:33

So best 60-foot time was 1.843. Just some short wheelspin, but not squirming. I guess it goes better with wintertyres, do don't give any wheelspin at all (unmapped).

Got to go to a 1/4m event soon...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
My terminal speeds weren't as they should have been unfortunately due to a MAP sensor issue.. Will be well in the 130's next time..

Mitchy, you need to get to Pod with yours

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jonnyc said:
My terminal speeds weren't as they should have been unfortunately due to a MAP sensor issue.. Will be well in the 130's next time..

Still [email protected] good terminals mate...... 130 will be insane :)

BTW : what terminals did u run with the LOBA ( vbox data too )

Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
viceroy said:
Hi Ved, not got anything to contribute in this, but wanted to say hi...long time bud :)
Long time it is indeed matey :)
Congrats on the TT 8)

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Think low 120's but can't actually remember..

I want to run against Mitchy from a roll, terminal speeds of 124 would suggest WAY more than OEM turbo power

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
What MAP sensor problems do you have Jonny ?,mine is playing about no matter what map is on the car.
Boost seems to surge sometimes,then goes into limp mode,but with no lights or codes.
Switch the ignition off,then it will boost normally for a while again ??

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
jonnyc said:

425bhp sir :wink:

I know mate, its just a long fecking trek, I need to plan it in with a trip to meet family or friends down that way, desperate to get down to see if there is any more traction as 1.74 is good but not great. You're right, 124 terminal would suggest a figure closer to 500 than 400 but for me I like lower power figures, more impressive that way :wink:

Cant wait until it gets cold again, me being a tight stubborn git will not give in to uprate that damn cooler. It's fine in the winter but not great in the summer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Anything 120+mph is seriously hauling arse.

JonnyC - I saw a GT2 RS quarter mile time, and they ran 132mph. If you're running similar times in your car, that's stupid fast. Same sort of terminals as the McLaren Mp4-12c too.

Itching to see what this APR kit can do in "production" trim on a non-built motor.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
To be fair all that video shows is your HP vs. Terminal speed assumptions are a pretty long way out lol..

Cool though :)

S-Tronic TTRS 124mph - 420hp
2013 GTR - 124mph - 540+

Something doesn't add up, I know the S-Tronic is good, but...

Run a time at Pod and I'll believe it ;)

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
jonnyc said:
To be fair all that video shows is your HP vs. Terminal speed assumptions are a pretty long way out lol..

Cool though :)

S-Tronic TTRS 124mph - 420hp
2013 GTR - 124mph - 540+

Something doesn't add up, I know the S-Tronic is good, but...

Run a time at Pod and I'll believe it ;)
No it doesn't, you have to take the weight of the car into consideration, The GTR weighs 1750kg, TTRS 1450kg, my table was based on cars at normal weight, i.e sub 1500kg

Look at the terminal speeds of the Mclaren Vs Aventador, 100bhp separates them but only 1.6mph difference. Mclaren is pretty much spot on at 131mph for 590bhp. That's what I would expect from a car with that power (Like I said in my table) Aventador should have done a little better with close to 700bhp but traction starts getting tricky with horsepower levels this high and a 1/4m is too short for the horsepower benefits to be seen. Look at the difference between the Mclaren ( 590bhp/131mph/1400kg) vs GTR (545bhp/125mph/1750kg) The difference between the 2 cars is less than 50bhp, it's the weight that is fecking up its terminal speed, 350kg heavier over the Mclaren.

Now do the same between my car and the MY12 GTR, I'm 300kg up on it, so mine with 450 vs GTR with 545, that difference gets eroded away with my weight advantage. I'd say a 450bhp TTRS would match or be very close to a 545bhp GTR no probs (Work out the PWR, my car with 450 works out at around 310bhp/ton, GTR with 545, works out at 311bhp/ton) I've said it before and I'll say it again, the GTR is not king, they get talked up so much in the press that everyone believes the figures Nissan claim, the figures are bollocks, no way will a GTR do a 2.7 0-60 shifting 1750kg, it defies the laws of physics and no independents have come anywhere close (bit like their Nurburgring laptimes). They use tweaked and proper setup cars for their promos. I was up against MY12/MY11 and a few MY10 GTR's a few weeks ago at a dragstrip, I have seen with my own eyes what they can and cannot do. That 1750kg weight hurts them, all the figures you read on line are nonsense. MY10 is a 12.0sec car, MY11 is a Mid 11 sec car and MY12 is a low-mid 11 sec car. A million miles away from what Nissan claim.

Anyways, at 420bhp my cars best is 122.3mph, with octane booster/race fuel, 124mph, my map obviously advances far enough to take advantage of the extra octane. With a 124 terminal I would estimate my car as having 450bhp minimum. I'm desperate to get it back to the strip in November, if I can manage an 11.371 @ 122.3mph on normal Tesco 99 (at 6c) I then managed a 124mph terminal (at 22c) I wonder what my time will be with the race fuel when I get back to racing at 6c in November, 11.371 is going :wink:

No need for me to run at Santapod, I've backed all my vbox runs up with runs at a drag strip, I can cross refer the vbox against the dragstrip and that's as accurate as you can possibly get. It's a bit like me saying you wouldnt have run 11.372 (Yes still 1/1000th behind me and still in 2nd place :wink: ) at Crail because of the much poorer launch surface there. You have an advantage at Pod due to the grippier launch surface. It's so grippy that Jason has lost drive shafts there :wink:

In all seriousness, Pod is a 1000m trip for me, no guarantees on weather, I would be mighty pissed off if I drove that to be rained off, the expense, the time, etc, You're more than welcome to come up my neck of the woods :wink: York is in the middle, more do able for me.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Maybe we should do York then, run both cars side by side? Would be cool to see.. :)

1 - 20 of 101 Posts