Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
No surprises there - it's the usual totally predictable crap from TG.

Firstly, whether you consider the TTRS a true sports car is up to you - but for me it's a fast sporting coupe and it's being compared with two cars which unquestionably ARE sports cars and both considerably more expensive even than the £50K price tag of the TTRS. Then surprise surprise - it's a track test, so hardly surprising is it that they found the TTRS lacking in the 'fun' dept?

Switch the scenario to a twisty mountain road in the wet and I bet I know which would have been going the quickest of the three. Of all the true sports cars they could have picked to complete the trio, they pick the TTRS - I wonder why? Clarkson would be proud of 'em. :roll:

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
igotone said:
No surprises there - it's the usual totally predictable crap from TG.

Firstly, whether you consider the TTRS a true sports car is up to you - but for me it's a fast sporting coupe and it's being compared with two cars which unquestionably ARE sports cars and both considerably more expensive even than the £50K price tag of the TTRS. Then surprise surprise - it's a track test, so hardly surprising is it that they found the TTRS lacking in the 'fun' dept?

Switch the scenario to a twisty mountain road in the wet and I bet I know which would have been going the quickest of the three. Of all the true sports cars they could have picked to complete the trio, they pick the TTRS - I wonder why? Clarkson would be proud of 'em. :roll:
Yeah, I agree the review is a bit biased towards the "newer" cars. However, you have to agree that the TT MKII is slightly dated now and could really use a refresh!

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I do agree the MK 2 is due a rehash, but we all know that's due soon. Half the problem is Audi shoving out the TTRS plus in an effort to squeeze more money from the outgoing model and that is what's justified it's inclusion in this test, when in fact there's nothing new about it. I'm waiting for Audi to start pushing out base models with TTRS body kits before they close the books on this model!

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
I'd say that review was pretty much spot on. You won't get the RS power-sliding as easily as the others and we all know that's what "fun" is all about.

·
Registered
31,066 Posts
Seemed a fair review to me.
TT just lacks the fun and driver feed back when compared to the other cars in the test.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
I suppose this kind of pairing all depends on what you want out of your car. I agree the comparison between the cars is fair, but somewhat pointless! Should have had the R8 against the 911, both similarly priced and both intended for the same purpose! The 911 would still have been the superior car of course, but by a smidge less.

Anyway personally I don't engage in three hot laps on my daily commute and would never take my own pride n joy on a race track, so for me the better handling and balance of cars 30-40k more expensive and an equally higher percentage to run and maintain was not a deal breaker :p

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's interesting - the UK reviews don't seem that positive about the car.

Most of the reviews I've seen from the states are much more positive about it.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I bet if I jumped in the same cars for a few hours, I would have came to the same conclusion.
For fun on the track,the Audi would be the last one you would take.
Now if they drove each car for a week or so on public roads plus Autobahns,the result would be different.

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
I do think it highlights the no-man's land where the RS sits. It's almost as fast as an R8, 911, Evora etc but it's much cheaper. As a value proposition it's phenomenal, but only the true cognoscenti know what it is, everyone else just lumps it in with all the other TTs.

I think if they'd tested it against a high-end Z4 and the big-engined SLK you'd have had a closer battle.

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
igotone said:
Of all the true sports cars they could have picked to complete the trio, they pick the TTRS - I wonder why? Clarkson would be proud of 'em. :roll:
Audi UK's press office probably pestered them to death to test it. So they thought to themselves "OK, we'll stick it in with two other random cars and that'll get them off our backs". It doesn't even really get discussed like the others.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
wja96 said:
I do think it highlights the no-man's land where the RS sits. It's almost as fast as an R8, 911, Evora etc but it's much cheaper. As a value proposition it's phenomenal, but only the true cognoscenti know what it is, everyone else just lumps it in with all the other TTs.

I think if they'd tested it against a high-end Z4 and the big-engined SLK you'd have had a closer battle.
In a german mag the other month the TT RS plus soft top went up against the SLK 55 AMG and came out on top,even though it was 15,000 € cheaper.
virtually identical lap times, with the TT having the edge up to 100 mph.

Mind you, what would happen if you compared the GTR only against cars in the same price bracket !!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a go in the 2012 SLK55AMG and I must say I rather like it as a convertible. Handling wise it is not that sharp but you get tons of toys, a nice folding hardtop (with panoramic roof), AirScaft and that nice V8 soundtrack. It's a bit muted on stock cars but I heard that is very easily rectified :)

jaybyme said:
wja96 said:

In a german mag the other month the TT RS plus soft top went up against the SLK 55 AMG and came out on top,even though it was 15,000 € cheaper.
virtually identical lap times, with the TT having the edge up to 100 mph.

Mind you, what would happen if you compared the GTR only against cars in the same price bracket !!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Yeah, that doesn't seem to be a fair fight.
WIth regards to the TT looking a bit tired and in need of a refresh, yes it does need one. However, it still looks fantastic, even with it's eagle eyes and pointy tail lights. And, frankly, it's the best looking interior out there still. If anyone saw the black MK3 test mule pictures, it's sporting a pop-up satnav screen. Bah! That means that aftermarket satnav's are not going to be possible, and if you want satnav, you must go with Audi's offering. It better be damned good.

Anyway, one thing about buying a car late in it's model life: You get all the fancy upgraded bits for free. I too expect to see some RS bodies on base TT's before it's all over for the MK2. Lucky bastards.

·
Registered
31,066 Posts
igotone said:
Switch the scenario to a twisty mountain road in the wet and I bet I know which would have been going the quickest of the three.
Hmm, not sure about that..
The problem with the RS is the handling and the feedback are poor, a twisty mountain is just going to exacerbate that.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
This is the problem,a normal driver can drive the TT fast in any conditions,that can't be said if he were to jump in most high powered RWD sports cars.
Now is the TT boring or just efficient ?
If you look at lap times set by experienced drivers between, say the TT RS, and the BM 135M,which is about the fairest comparison I can think of.The times are very close.
Now if you took ten average drivers and let them set a time in both cars,it would be very interesting to see the average time set for both cars at the end of the day.
I would expect the TT's time would be faster ?

·
Registered
31,066 Posts
But that's the problem right there, just like you said...

This is what the mags are getting at with the reviews, in "real" terms you wont notice .2/3/4/5 of a second for performance differences - but you notice immediately the boring ride/feedback.

I'd tend to agree on a "wet" twisty road the RS could well be quicker for normal everyday drivers.
I'd say 99% of people would have much more fun in the other cars regardless of driving expertise or laptime.
So much more to a car than a TG laptime, which is variable depending on the driver, day, time of day, temperature and many other factors.

This is why i sold my RS, its was too safe, or to put it another way, dare i say 'Boring'.
Take out the 135 and the RS back to back, see which makes you smile the most...and ignore the 0-60
RS is fast, but its missing soul and fun

(only IMO as a former owner of 2 RS TTs)..
Its a review only, its not black and white/right or wrong, just opinions of others.
To give balance i think the + is a better prospect than the std RS as it has loads of options as standard. Just avoid the daft coloured wheels. I''d also "guess" standard RS prices will get pushed further down as this will be the second hand car people want.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I know exactly what you mean as I'm using my TT RS and Megane R26 on a weekly basis.
The Megane is by far the sportiest car out of the two,it feels fast,the steering has lots of feedback,and the brakes have real bite.
You get out of the Meg with a grin on your face and sweaty hands after a fast drive,thinking your the next rally world champion.
It's not until you stop and see that my girlfriend is still right behind you in the Audi, with fresh make up on that you realise what the Audi can do,lol.
If we swap cars and she's in front,then I could read a decent car mag at the same time and keep up in the Audi.
Gets hard for the Audi to keep up on very twisty roads though,still love the meg and will most probably never sell it.
Hopefully I'll feel the same way about the RS once all the tuning is done. :roll:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts