Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya all,

Does anyone know the colour code for the matt alu colour on the TTRS wing mirrors? I had a stone which scratched it on the highway so it requires some respraying, but I'm not able to find the colour code anywhere to get it done (Audi won't respray it even if it's a tiny scratch and wants the full thing replaced) :(

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Probably better to just replace the cap, they are about £170 for the aluminium look wing mirror case. At least its new, and will be a perfect match.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
TondyTT said:
Probably better to just replace the cap, they are about £170 for the aluminium look wing mirror case. At least its new, and will be a perfect match.
I think they're a bit more than that. £240 each is the best ive seen and that was a discounted quote.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I haven't seen these in the flesh so I could ( and probably am) wrong but to me, they don't look painted that colour. They look like Chrome mirror caps with a satin/matt clear coat.

Can you post a picture of the scratch? I'm a special effect artist by trade so am used to cheating certain finishes so I may be able to offer a work around

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rmfx said:
I haven't seen these in the flesh so I could ( and probably am) wrong but to me, they don't look painted that colour. They look like Chrome mirror caps with a satin/matt clear coat.
I'm no expert, so I don't really know much about it. Replacing it would actually cost over 300£ at Audi which is quite steep considering it's just some tiny horizontal lines on the paint due to the stone that hit it (the cap is not damaged at all, is only one month old and only the some colour went off so you can see the black below the silver). I'll try to take a picture later on.

It's the same mat colour as the aluminium pack on the car so I thought there should be some way to fix it as I would not think that Audi would force you to buy a whole new alu bumper/skirt part for a few scratches for example.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If its definitly a paint then I doubt it would be something you touch up like traditional paint due to the particle size.ie, it would need airbrushing to atomise it.

Have a look into alcad paint. It's a model paint specifically designed to mimic metal finishes.

I did a quick google and found this link which shows a guy painting a moles motorcycle with it. Should give you an idea.

http://www.scaleautomag.com/How%20to%20 ... aints.aspx

·
Registered
31,059 Posts
..dont believe them, its a satin paint.
Same as the parts for the Aluminum pack.

I'd be tempted to CF wrap them or go black..

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
My bodyshop used LY7M (aluminium silver) with a matte lacquer to give a very close match to the genuine aluminium pack. You may have to get both mirrors done to get it 100%.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Toshiba said:
..dont believe them, its a satin paint.
Same as the parts for the Aluminum pack.

I'd be tempted to CF wrap them or go black..
I know to be skeptical with anything they say to be fair, but I wonder why when ordering the ally mirror covers they come as is, unlike coloured mirrors which come primed and need painting. If they are painted also, why don't they come in the same form?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies :)

I'm living in Belgium and currently on holidays in Greece so I'm not really able to go to the UK bodyshops easily :)

I already visited three of them in Greece this week, and none of them was able to come with any solution regarding the real paint/colour that is applied by Audi to the mirrors :/ The paint (if there is any paint...) looks the same as the one from my alu pack for sure, it just seems impossible to manage to produce it for a respray.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.