Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
I've just changed my mind for the TTS from Ice Silver to Brilliant red.
It may not be the last time I change my spec but it looks better each time I see the colour on the configurator.
I think Tosh was leaning that way too.
Looks like another quality signature is required.

Also the website now has a TT TDi section
Not in the configurator but it is shown with the TTS or S Line bumbers.
What do you think?
Paul

·
Registered
145 Posts
Get a grip, and have another look at the pictures of the Ice Silver TTS at the Geneva motor show! I agonised over the right colour for mine until I saw these pictures, now there's no doubt in my mind that this is THE colour for the TTS.

Sorry, but even though red is my favourite colour, for me it simply doesn't look right on the TTS - it doesn't blend well with the rear light clusters.

It's a bit like checking your answers at the end of a multiple choice exam - if you become unsure about one question, you shouldn't change your first answer, as your initial instinct is usually correct. So stick with Plan 'A' Jersey Paul - you know it makes sense ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm with Spook. Down with red!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree, Ice Silver was the first choice.
A new Vehicle Emission Duty ( Tax) is introduced over here in May.
This will add £750 to the price of the car when delivered in June / July.
I need to keep it to £30K as that's the limit ( remember no VAT in Jersey )
That's why I have to drop the extra cost of optional colours.
You have to draw the line somewhere.
It may be Black now and resign myself to half a day cleaning every Sunday.
To be honest i did this anyway, so no change there then.
Paul

·
Registered
998 Posts
Jersey Paul said:
Also the website now has a TT TDi section
Not in the configurator but it is shown with the TTS or S Line bumbers.
What do you think?
Paul
With the exception of Quattro the TDi spec is the same as the 2.0 FSi....
so no bodykit tweak..

·
Registered
31,059 Posts
Red is by far the best colour for any TT. I hate black, and as for silver, I've had two silver MKIIs and never once really liked the colour. Got silver for one reason, its safe and doesn't show marks.

Only thing stopping me getting red is that I've had two red TTs before and wanted a change, but the pull is a strong one.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Jersey Paul said:
I agree, Ice Silver was the first choice.
A new Vehicle Emission Duty ( Tax) is introduced over here in May.
This will add £750 to the price of the car when delivered in June / July.
I need to keep it to £30K as that's the limit ( remember no VAT in Jersey )
That's why I have to drop the extra cost of optional colours.
You have to draw the line somewhere.
It may be Black now and resign myself to half a day cleaning every Sunday.
To be honest i did this anyway, so no change there then.
Paul
If you have to drop an option to save money, dropping a metallic colour in favour of a base colour is not the one I would choose. Metallic/pearlescent paint is one of the very few "extras" that you actually get a return on come trade-in time. Also, and at the risk of re-igniting the whole colour debate, a base colour like red is generally accepted not to be the best for residual value - rightly or wrongly, buyers expect cars like Audis to have metallic/pearlescent paint and are likely to reflect this in the offer price.

If you simply have to find a saving, why don't you look elsewhere on your options list?

·
Registered
31,059 Posts
Std paint colours wont impact resale.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I knew this would be the hardest choice.
I dont think std colours will effect resale - no experience of this.
I think I will have to go for Ice silver it was my 1st choce especially after seeing an Ice silver S4 in the showroom, that's what initially made my mind up.
What are you going for Tosh?

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Ice silver was not in my mindt for the TTS untill I saw an R8 in ice silver in the showroom. That certainly changed my opinion, and the choice was suddenly easy.... :wink:

·
Registered
480 Posts
My biased opinion :

The Mk2 TT looks best in Brilliant RED

As strange as it sounds, I pick the colour for my cars based on the colour that best suits the car, not necessarily the colour that I prefer.

·
Registered
31,059 Posts
Jersey Paul said:
I knew this would be the hardest choice.
I dont think std colours will effect resale - no experience of this.
I think I will have to go for Ice silver it was my 1st choce especially after seeing an Ice silver S4 in the showroom, that's what initially made my mind up.
What are you going for Tosh?
If im honest im struggling.

I ordered Red first, but as I've had two red cars i changed to Sprint. The dealer had some cars due in soon after in that colour so i went along and had a look at them. It looked OK, but ONLY when the sun was on it. When it was dull it just looked liked a std base colour and didn't work for ME. Car is currently on IBIS, but i have two issues with this, firstly a lot of TTs and TTS seem to have been ordered in this colour over the last few months so the common comments hit a cord with me. Second, I keep seeing lot of other cars and vans in white and they all like old and crappy. OK, im guessing im just looking out for them more, but its weighing on my mind.

So i just dont know. It wont be silver for the reason i have had two silver MKIIs already and im changing as much as i can.

Orange - I do like, alot, I just cant bring myself to do it.
Yellow - again i do like it but cant do it.
Black - dont want it.
Condor and Sahara - too silver like
Meteor - Tempting
DSB - possible, but its a tad to dark when the light is dull

My view only, and not meant to demean any ones car, but this is a personal thing.

I've been to porker today and after 90mins of fun im really tempted to just ditch the TTS and get something else.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Tosh - the car is more important than the colour.

Do what I did - make a difficult decision and stick to it.

Surely having Silver before should not prejudice you against it, particularly if it is the right colour for the particular car (something that swayed me in favour of it)?

BTW, I like the TTS in Orange too, but like you, I'm not brave enough!

Hope you manage to resolve the dilemma - it would be a crying shame to dump a potentially brilliant car just because you can't decide on the colour.

You know it makes sense, Rodney ;)

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Toshiba said:
Std paint colours wont impact resale.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes they will! Black and Red will nett you £500 better return.

Not so sure about White though, you reckon White will be hold it's value the same as the other two Tosh?

·
Registered
31,059 Posts
I dunno, its a small worry, but like you say, the other base colours in real terms are a net gain of £500. Even if the dealer knocks £600 (met paint cost) off a white car come trade-in you are still even. While white is a "in fashion" colour i'm sure you'll be fine. Long term, anyones guess.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am going with Ice SIlver now.
All decided, not going to change, there's nothing anyone can say, there's no point talking to me, no one can change my mind etc ........................

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.