Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am in the market to buy a second hand tt-s s-tronic. What are the main problems with this car what should I look out for?
I have a budget of 10-14k so I'm looking at 2008-09 models.

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,051 Posts
Hi, Common MK 2 probs, saggy leather seats, noisy/failing window regulators, knocking steering racks, bonnet opening lever snaps & poor connections to rear lights, making them dim or loss of lights
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hoggy said:
Hi, Common MK 2 probs, saggy leather seats, noisy/failing window regulators, knocking steering racks, bonnet opening lever snaps & poor connections to rear lights, making them dim or loss of lights
With respect, has the 2.0 engine not got issues with excessive oil consumption?

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,051 Posts
Spooks said:
Hi, More than likely & you've added it to the list. :p

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spooks said:
Hoggy said:
Oil consumption problem? Like the ones on the a5? the only reason I decided not to get one is because it had the oil consumption prob... is it the same engine?

I don't mind topping up a litre more often than usual my gti was going through a litre every other month but I had no problems with that. I would have a problem if it is damaging the engine though.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
In 24000 miles in my TTS, I have put in 1/2 litre of oil, and suspect that was due to it not being filled to the correct level when it was serviced. So I would suggest by default the engine is not an oil guzzler by obviously I am a sample of 1 out of thousands.

As for the seats my low mileage 08 TT seats were the usual saggy puckered crap after 10k miles, the seats in this 11 plate are unmarked after 38K, so maybe they made some changes over the years.

I would suggest you add s**te dealer backup to the list of owner woes.

Just saw you want a DSG........potentially the biggest problem you will face if you get one with mech issues, once was enough for me to put me off for life, but before there is a storm of happy owners, we all go by personal experiences, and mine was bad, so never again for me.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
My car has just over 31k miles and is 4 years old and no sagging seats

I think the did something to the facelift.

Also not needed oil top ups outside of the service interval.

The pre facelift had a weakness in the diverter valve... And the wrong exhaust valve springs... So if you remap you may get misfires.

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CWM3 said:
In 24000 miles in my TTS, I have put in 1/2 litre of oil, and suspect that was due to it not being filled to the correct level when it was serviced. So I would suggest by default the engine is not an oil guzzler by obviously I am a sample of 1 out of thousands.

As for the seats my low mileage 08 TT seats were the usual saggy puckered crap after 10k miles, the seats in this 11 plate are unmarked after 38K, so maybe they made some changes over the years.

I would suggest you add s**te dealer backup to the list of owner woes.

Just saw you want a DSG........potentially the biggest problem you will face if you get one with mech issues, once was enough for me to put me off for life, but before there is a storm of happy owners, we all go by personal experiences, and mine was bad, so never again for me.
I had dsg on my gti too and the mechatronics failure was my biggest concern buying it but I wanted dsg sooo bad I went for it anyway and didn't have any problems till I sold it. I loved my manual cars too only until I met dsg. No turning back from dsg. Sure I still miss having a full manual sometimes but the dsg fart and the speed of dsg does it for me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
aquazi said:
My car has just over 31k miles and is 4 years old and no sagging seats

I think the did something to the facelift.

Also not needed oil top ups outside of the service interval.

The pre facelift had a weakness in the diverter valve... And the wrong exhaust valve springs... So if you remap you may get misfires.

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk
is the diverter valve not a cheap upgrade?
When I was remapping my gti at r-tech they charged me £35 for the latest revision dv and that was all.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CWM3 said:
Fitted a GFB DV on mine, far better quality than OEM about 80 quid from memory
cool so nothing to worry about there. So far seems good nothing to put me off :lol:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Would hate to put you off as the TT is a great car and has served me very we'll however, just to share my experience re. Oil consumption, my car used 1l every 5-600 miles and required new con rods and pistons at 63k miles... At Audi's expense mind you, but it wasn't pretty getting them to cough up, they're very reluctant to offer anything other than 'goodwill'.

There seems to be fewer reports of oil consumption on this forum however if you have a read on A5/MK5 golf forums there's plenty of horror stories with the 2.0 tfsi engine!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rory_ward said:
Would hate to put you off as the TT is a great car and has served me very we'll however, just to share my experience re. Oil consumption, my car used 1l every 5-600 miles and required new con rods and pistons at 63k miles... At Audi's expense mind you, but it wasn't pretty getting them to cough up, they're very reluctant to offer anything other than 'goodwill'.

There seems to be fewer reports of oil consumption on this forum however if you have a read on A5/MK5 golf forums there's plenty of horror stories with the 2.0 tfsi engine!
sorry to hear that mate. Was yours a tt or tts?

·
Registered
96 Posts
LMS said:
Rory_ward said:

sorry to hear that mate. Was yours a tt or tts?
Ahh valid point, mine's a TT... This probably voids my previous doom and gloom post, not sure how many similarities these engines share to be honest!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
if your going for a TTS s-tronic you really want to be at the top of your budget, otherwise you going to be looking at a high miler.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
s_robinson91 said:
if your going for a TTS s-tronic you really want to be at the top of your budget, otherwise you going to be looking at a high miler.
For 12-14k you cant find anything below 70k miles. I don't really want to spend any more than that but I also don't want such high mileage :lol:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Thats a little high i think. If i was to sell mine i would want £14K but at that its only done 57K, full audi service hist., SAT NAV etc. etc.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
s_robinson91 said:
Thats a little high i think. If i was to sell mine i would want no less than 14K but at that its only done 57K, full audi service hist., SAT NAV etc. etc.
your car looks banging mate and if you were to have black rims it would be perfect. Good job with blacking out the chrome to never liked that. I want it all black. black car black rims blacked out honeycomb grill basically all chrome to black and not to forget tinted windows and tinted lights lol but cosmetics will be the last thing I work on once I find the car. First thing will be get to stage 2+ which is why I'm trying to get a cheaper model so the rest can go to remapping, mods, cosmetics etc

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
cheers, had black rims, didnt suit the silver. Where about are you based? seen a nice black one a few miles from me.

Careful going for stage 2+ on a high mileage car. could be more trouble than its worth.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
s_robinson91 said:
cheers, had black rims, didnt suit the silver. Where about are you based? seen a nice black one a few miles from me.

Careful going for stage 2+ on a high mileage car. could be more trouble than its worth.
I'm from North London. is 60k - 80k considered high mileage for this car. What would be the risk of going 2+ with it. Like what damage could it possibly do? Well I could stick to stage 1 or 1+ but coming from a fwd gti don't think the tts is gonna feel as punchy in its stock form.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts