Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after much deliberation, I robbed the bank and fitted 4 new tyres to my TTS. Goodyear Eagle F1's, which came highly recommended on this forum.

Overall road noise is much better than the Conti's however, at speeds above 20mph, there is a terrible humming/tubular/tyre noise sort of along the lines of bearing noise without the rotational warbling associated with bearings. It started the day i got the tyres, but havnt driven much until today and its Piss**g me off.

Is this common?
Do you have this problem?
Will it quieten as the tyres wear?
Do I have room to complain and demand a different brand?

To eliminate bearing wear I have done the turning side to side at speed to see if it quietens off in one particular direction. Nothing! Equally before i arrived at the garage, no noise, so cant be bearings.

Advise would be greatly appreciated as always!

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
I have no idea why you should be getting any noise, I love my Goodyear Eagle F1's.

Could it be a nut lose, I had all my geometry done the day after they where fitted with laser wheel aliment, all 4 wheels where a mile out when set on the infer red geometry machine. They set the back up then front and I have no noise.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Let the tyre bed in, it may have high spots on the tyres where they have come from the mould. If it doesn't improve over 100-150 miles then maybe there is something strange going on. Never had any issues with my goodyear F1's and still going strong about 6,000 miles later.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I had the exact same problem with the MK1 and F1s... which is why i went with PSS afterwards because it was very annoying :)

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I have 4 of these and have never ntoiced anything out of the ordinary. Had Conti sport 3 before which were sh1t. :x

Grip and handling is astonishing with the Asymetric 2 compared to the old tyres. :p

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
You did get the latest version I hope? The first series did produce noise due to their symmetrical thread.

And tyre pressure is spot on too? And if the alignment is out, then indeed that can cause additional noise too. Anyhow, I would go back the the tyre shop to discuss this matter. If it turns out the tyres are not OK, then it's better for them and you to know early. Once you've done more miles, switching becomes harder... I'd think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts